OEM e-lockers, Ford & Tundra, any good ???

garoNC

Just read that long post about lockers: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ip-Faceoff-Detroit-TrueTrac-vs-ARB-Air-Locker
a good read and very educational.

Not a lot about the OEM e-lockers was mentioned. Are they a good idea to get from the manufacturer when purchasing the truck new or not? I am looking at the Fords and the Tundra with the e-locker option. If not the best option then I would consider not getting it and going with the ARB rear locker after the fact. Any opinions on this?

Just realized that I forgot to mention what I was doing!
I would add a pop-up camper like FWD or ATC and mild to moderate trail use. No rock crawling or crazy stuff.

Thanks

Flys Lo

Adventurer
If they are available, yes they are great, and substantially cheaper than getting an aftermarket solution - particularly if you don't fit the aftermarket locker yourself.
I know the Ford automatically disengages above ~25mph or so.

The only OEM solution I wouldn't recommend is if they are vaccuum actuated (I know the Ford use an electronic solenoid - assume the Toyota's do too), like those fitted to some models of the Nissan Patrol.

I personally prefer e-lockers over air lockers, as no air leaks/hoses to erode over time, no need to have on board air etc.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Sure. I haven't heard of many complaints about the factory Lockers. Still I prefer a Detroit in the rear and an open front. Advice is kinda going to depend exactly on what model truck youre after.

They never dis-engage in 4 low only 2 high and 4 high. Also I believe it is stock in all the 250's and 350's be it 2 or 4 wheel drive. If not stock then all the dealers around here order them that way. Oh and mine (2011 f250) has worked flawlessly.
If they are available, yes they are great, and substantially cheaper than getting an aftermarket solution - particularly if you don't fit the aftermarket locker yourself.
I know the Ford automatically disengages above ~25mph or so.

The only OEM solution I wouldn't recommend is if they are vaccuum actuated (I know the Ford use an electronic solenoid - assume the Toyota's do too), like those fitted to some models of the Nissan Patrol.

I personally prefer e-lockers over air lockers, as no air leaks/hoses to erode over time, no need to have on board air etc.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I've got the factory locker in my '12 F350. I've put it to good use and I've got no complaints. They aren't standard on new trucks but I did see a lot of them with it when I was shopping.

Expedition Leader
Factory Toyota electric lockers are very good. The only (very minor) complaint I can make about them is that they don't always engage or disengage instantly like an ARB air locker will. Sometimes you have to roll a few feet for the cogs to line up and engage or disengage.

garoNC

Thanks for the replies all.

If I go with a lighter pop-up, I would be looking at the Ford F150 or the Tundra. If a heavier pop-up, most likely the Ford F250. I think they would all be crew cabs as I would need all the room I could get.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
They never dis-engage in 4 low only 2 high and 4 high. Also I believe it is stock in all the 250's and 350's be it 2 or 4 wheel drive. If not stock then all the dealers around here order them that way. Oh and mine (2011 f250) has worked flawlessly.
It's an option, but its only a couple hundred dollars, most come with fitted with it.

Kaisen

Explorer
Thanks for the replies all.

If I go with a lighter pop-up, I would be looking at the Ford F150 or the Tundra. If a heavier pop-up, most likely the Ford F250. I think they would all be crew cabs as I would need all the room I could get.

Don't overlook the offerings from GM and Ram....they have fantastic trucks this year as well.

Motor Trend just did a test of the Detroit three full sizers, very nice trucks! The disappointing thing was the MPG over 500 miles of testing, they all averaged around 13 MPGs.

86tuning

Adventurer
Also, unless I'm mistaken, the Tundra is not available with a locker, only the TRD Offroad Tacoma has it, along with the FJC and 4Runner.

Afaik the Tundra is only avail with an "electronic LSD" which basically is a fancy way of saying traction control. Unless things have changed recently.

Kaisen

Explorer
Motor Trend just did a test of the Detroit three full sizers, very nice trucks! The disappointing thing was the MPG over 500 miles of testing, they all averaged around 13 MPGs.

Could you please provide a link? I couldn't find anything from Motor Trend.

Just a recent full comparison test from pickuptrucks.com:

6a00d83451b3c669e20192ab1707dc970d-pi

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I know I was pretty happy with the 2010 F150 I traded in when I bought my F350 in June. That truck was awesome. I averaged around 20 mpg on my long highway trips (5.4l with the old 4 speed auto) and it handled great with 20" rims with Duratracs ( around 34 inches tall, can't remember the metric size). I put 40k miles on that truck in the 10 or 11 months that I owned it and it was the most reliable thing I had ever owned. Nothing but Gas and Oil changes. It handled towing and hauling really well for a half ton. The front seats were also the most comfortable in the half ton class in my opinion.

Could you please provide a link? I couldn't find anything from Motor Trend.

Just a recent full comparison test from pickuptrucks.com:

6a00d83451b3c669e20192ab1707dc970d-pi

A friend had the actual mag at work last night I will see if he has it again tonight and put up a link when I can.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle