OEM Review Camera Relocation

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I'm trying to figure out what people are doing to relocate the OEM back-up camera's when adding a swing out rear bumper (tiregate, CBI, Shrockworks, and so on). I've spoken with many of the manufacturer's and the only lead we've gotten in is was from CBI, who recommended that the eSky 170-08 camera was being used by several others. So, we're trying to keep a review camera working with the OEM head units; and correct me if I am wrong, the Toyota OEM HU is looking for the video source as it is shifted into reverse. Meaning that the camera must be powered on prior to the shift to reverse. On top of that, the OEM camera's seem to be a 6v camera where many aftermarket camera are 12v (including the eSky). From what we've seen majority of Toyota's seem to go from a 3 wire harness to a 4 wire harness closer to the OE camera, and I think the 4 wire side of it is key to attaching an aftermarket camera if going down that route.

I'm trying to be non-vehicle specific as we encounter this on GX's, Tundra's, Tacoma's, 4Runners, FJC's and such more and more as the OEM camera's become more standard. If you have any links or solutions that work well for you please post up or share links or experiences.

Thanks!

nater

Adventurer
I used the oem camera in my exp one rear bumper, they have a mounting provision. Extending the harness would be easy with the right connectors

odomandr

Observer
I have been trying to figure out an option myself. Billy at brute force fab has made a pod to relocate it but has had some issues with the cnc places cutting it correctly. Reach out to him I will again too, maybe we can get it squared away

Sent from my SM-N910T

nater

Adventurer
As a note, the Expo One folks sell their camera relocation stuff separately. It would be easy to incorporate into your build.

WhiteH2O

Observer
I use the OEM camera looking through the center of the spare tire on the swing out of my SSS bumper. It just has extended wiring added to the stock wiring so that it is long enough to route to the new location.

Have you talked to Kevin with Southern Style Speed? He offers it as an option on his rear bumpers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears