Off road lights, what do you have/use?

A.J.M

Explorer
As title really.

Later this year in November, i have a weekend off road competition i shall be entering in my D3.
I entered it last year and despite my mate Kevin and i being totally new to it, both with limited off road experience, we placed 23rd out of 67 and 19th in our class.
Which was a decent result and annoyed many people for being out driven by 2 young noobs in a near standard D3.

Last year it was in October, but we still had some sections of the off roading and navigating to do in the dark. With the dates moving a month, it will be dark a lot sooner so we will be doing even more in the dark.
We have a few mates who are did it last year and are returning this year, they are all talking about fitting extra lights to help visibility in the dark.

The D3 has adaptive Xenons with new upgraded bulbs, it also had the full wiring set up for the standard LR spotlights, which were removed by a previous owner.

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand expo roof rack to fit roof lights to. I also have a winch A bar ready to fit to the car.

Being used for off road only, what lights would you recommend fitting to both the A bar and the roof rack.
Looking for good light quality, brightness but also reasonable cost as i've a few other mods to do to the car before November, i also need a set of new Duratrac tyres as well. So cash will be going several ways so looking for the best return for cash.

I have been linked to these, but unsure of them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-Inch-PA...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a317c7d90

LR Max

Local Oaf
I've been pleased with my cheap Chinese LED light bar. That said, if you are doing high speed off roading, then these aren't the lights for you. They light up everything close by very well. I've just got a double stack 20" spot.

In the past I've been in a disco with four Hella 4000s on the roof. Cornering beams on the sides and two driving in the middle. Was very, very, very bright.

A.J.M

Explorer
Hello, thanks for the replies.

The sections we will need lights for will be low speed, high maneuverability sections, reading from maps to find our way across a course, but also to find and write down letters on white backing hidden across the course.

These letters were hidden in all sorts of places so visibility will be key.

Hella lights look good, but £400+ for 4 is a steep price and i'm on a budget sadly, these may be out that budget.

Is there much difference in light outpot from the 4000 to 3000?
What other choices would you recommend?

You asked..., click on my build thread or this link for more pics. I use remote controlled lights. Use them on my trips and take them off when done using them.

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24056&page=11

ZEBetlX.jpg

XWNo6Fu.jpg

3pQ7s1P.jpg

wxubzv0.jpg

yu3T9Ws.jpg

1cyUT1a.jpg

GJOgsQC.jpg

6BOmPzW.jpg

nbjG8Xd.jpg

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
If you are looking for lots of close up light, for low to moderate speed, I would say you cant beat the chinese LED light bars. I might not put it on the roof though, just due to glare from the hood. But I never liked any light on the roof in general.

A.J.M

Explorer
Those remote lights look interesting, i had no idea they made stuff like that!

Have a few new ideas to beat around and see what could work and what won't.

Any more ideas from people? Keep them coming!

johanso

Adventurer
I live in Sweden where auxiliary lights for obvious reasons is a big thing. As far as I know no LED can compare to xenon at the moment. There is also the factor of lens size. A bigger lens will always be better than a small one. Up here most people run two flood lights and one pencil, so 3 lights.

In my opinion NBB has the best bang for the buck. Second choice would be Lightforce but those are more expensive.
If you don't want to spend money on xenon NBB's regular 225 gives a lot of light.
http://www.oljebaren.se/en/auxiliary-light/nbb/

Finlayforprez

Observer
I have Rigid Dually spot lights in the front on my ARB front bumper and plan to do a light bar in the front of my roof rack and rear lights on the rear of my roof rack. I have the Rigid Dually flood lights for the rear of the rack, but still up in the air about the type of light bar to get for the front.

here is a photo of the front of my D4:

sedat

Adventurer
I have HID converted hella 3000s on the front, and some LED mounted rear lights. I'm thinking about putting the hellas up for sale as I don't like the pattern.

XJLI

Adventurer
Ruv2Ohl.png

42" olympus off road pro series combo beam, and osram rallye 70/65 headlight bulbs. i'll be replacing the rover lights with a 13" single row LED bar painted amber, also from olympus, once it is in stock. the 42" LED bar is laughably loud, here is a thread with pics of it compared to other lights when it was on my old XJ: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1108047

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998