off-road trailers

ducposer

Im looking at the usual suspects, Opus 15, black series classic c12 or c15 , mdc, and dweller. Im pretty knowledge about the issues with black series trailers, havent had much info on the opus 15 but especially the dweller. Why does the smaller dweller cost so much? Are all these trailers basically the same and it comes down to customer service? I want something that will stand up to the rigors of wash board roads all day long, maybe some gate keeper type stuff but no rock crawling. I have a lx 570 2011 and just want something that will stand up to some tough roads. I cant understand what makes these trailers so expensive. The reports of bad workmanship have been steady this year in the RV industry, not really sure if the same concerns spill over to these aussie imports. Im lucky enough to have happy camper too in garden city in ID and have checked out the opus 15, dweller and blackersies in person. First thing I did was open the drawer on the dweller and broke the latch, the black series has a horrible history of craftsmanship and im super weary of MDC or Opus. Does anyone have any insight or direction I should be looking? I currently have a symmetry off road trailer. Its more like a empty hull with a rtt, but it has let me try things out and I think I finally know what I want from an offroad trailer.

john61ct

Adventurer
The piss-poor QA is a USA problem.

Paying higher prices to USA manufacturers does not solve it.

European and Oz products are much better made, but result in sticker shock from non-wealthy USians.

I wish the Chinese would get into the market, at least then crap quality would be cheap once the shipping problems go away (hopefully)

Louisd75

Adventurer
The piss-poor QA is a USA problem.

Paying higher prices to USA manufacturers does not solve it.

European and Oz products are much better made, but result in sticker shock from non-wealthy USians.

I wish the Chinese would get into the market, at least then crap quality would be cheap once the shipping problems go away (hopefully)

The Chinese are in the market. Black Series, MDC, AUSRV (part of MDC) are built in China. Pretty sure that the Opus 15 is as well but not positive.

gendlert

Opus is for sure. They all are. Same factory for a lot of the parts. I have a Dweller (same goes for OBI campers) and it feels solid. Not sure what drawer latch you broke, but the good news is they are all replaceable parts.

Why are they so expensive? First, because they can be. If you won't buy one, you can bet someone else will. Second, you get a trailer that is way beefier than a NoBo or a GeoPro; it depends how you want to use it. Want a trailer for 25k you can find one. But in comparison to the "craft trailers" that are built in the US or Australia, they're relatively inexpensive. I'm talking Kimberley or Lifestyle. Finally, they don't make these in anywhere close to the quantities of a Forest River or Jayco brand, so the economy of scale isn't as significant. When you drive down the road, how many off-road built trailers do you see in comparison? Of course there are quality issues, but join a forum on GMC, RAM, or even Toyota trucks and you'll find a load of "known quality issues." So it comes down to customer service.

I've got two OBI trailers (graveler XT and a Dweller) and haven't had any issues other than finding a couple fittings to attach my water heater so far.

The Dweller is a ************ little trailer. AC included under the bed for a low profile. Tows ok on the road, but feels right at home going 50mph over wash board roads. All the creature comforts of a 15-16ft hard side trailer in a smaller 12 ft package. I think it's fantastic.

Happy to share specific experiences if you want, just ask. I'm a satisfied customer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
dc50d63d19a07862e7389d1e1a9d5627.jpg

Last edited:

ducposer

Love the review and info. The dweller has the features I really like, cassette toilet (no black water), no bunks, a great floor plan but whats up with the price. Its way more expensive than the black series. Im leaning toward the dweller as it seems superior in quality and fit and finish but there arent any long term reviews and few reviews at all if any out there.

Louisd75

Adventurer
Love the review and info. The dweller has the features I really like, cassette toilet (no black water), no bunks, a great floor plan but whats up with the price. Its way more expensive than the black series. Im leaning toward the dweller as it seems superior in quality and fit and finish but there arent any long term reviews and few reviews at all if any out there.

I think that's going to be an issue with most of the manufacturers at this point. Black Series probably has the most trailers on the road right now, mostly because they got in early. MDC/AUSRV has a ton of experience in Australia but they've only just recently entered into the US market and there aren't that many around. OPUS hasn't done much of any marketing on their hybrid caravan in the US that I've seen. OBI also hasn't done much advertising in the US that I've seen either.

ExPo can be a great resource but I feel the nature of being an "Approved Vendor" detracts from some of the smaller companies from jumping into the boards (that's a bit simplistic on my part, but this isn't a discussion about that)

If you're a Facebook user there are user groups for most of the big trailer mfgs that seem to be independent of the actual manufacturer. It's worth looking around at these groups if you can, there's a lot of good information on issues people are having.

gendlert

There are no long term OBI reviews because they're a new company. Not new to the US, but like new new. They are actually OBI Conqueror Corporation and own both brands now. They literally sold me their first graveler xt in Feb of this year and I bought a very early Dweller last month. I'll start posting more about it as we go on more trips. As for price the devil is in the details. I think the quality of craftsmanship and selection of parts in key places (drawer slides and latches, though the OP said they broke one in the show room which surprised me, AC standard, 300Ah batteries, Renogy 2000W inverter and BMS, etc.) all adds up.

And the mattress is extremely comfortable. Like legit awesome.

So I don't feel like I got ripped off at all. It's a nice product that I expect to last me many years.

Im looking at the usual suspects, Opus 15, black series classic c12 or c15 , mdc, and dweller. Im pretty knowledge about the issues with black series trailers, havent had much info on the opus 15 but especially the dweller. Why does the smaller dweller cost so much? Are all these trailers basically the same and it comes down to customer service? I want something that will stand up to the rigors of wash board roads all day long, maybe some gate keeper type stuff but no rock crawling. I have a lx 570 2011 and just want something that will stand up to some tough roads. I cant understand what makes these trailers so expensive. The reports of bad workmanship have been steady this year in the RV industry, not really sure if the same concerns spill over to these aussie imports. Im lucky enough to have happy camper too in garden city in ID and have checked out the opus 15, dweller and blackersies in person. First thing I did was open the drawer on the dweller and broke the latch, the black series has a horrible history of craftsmanship and im super weary of MDC or Opus. Does anyone have any insight or direction I should be looking? I currently have a symmetry off road trailer. Its more like a empty hull with a rtt, but it has let me try things out and I think I finally know what I want from an offroad trailer.

Kimberley Kampers (https://kimberleykampersusa.com/) hands down for quality and amenities. Here's our S3 Kruiser. Not a bit of wood in the construction; fiberglass, aluminum, and steel. Solid surface countertops. Drawers are aluminum with bamboo or composite front faces.

We purchased ours sight unseen, and it has certainly met our expectations. Pricey, but I have yet to see a better built trailer. Oliver is the only one at an equivalent level, but they don't do off-road.IMG_1278.JPG

gendlert

Kimberley Kampers (https://kimberleykampersusa.com/) hands down for quality and amenities. Here's our S3 Kruiser. Not a bit of wood in the construction; fiberglass, aluminum, and steel. Solid surface countertops. Drawers are aluminum with bamboo or composite front faces.

We purchased ours sight unseen, and it has certainly met our expectations. Pricey, but I have yet to see a better built trailer. Oliver is the only one at an equivalent level, but they don't do off-road.View attachment 686272
Just curious, what's the pricetag on one of those all said and done?

Schist4Brainz

There are no long term OBI reviews because they're a new company. Not new to the US, but like new new. They are actually OBI Conqueror Corporation and own both brands now. They literally sold me their first graveler xt in Feb of this year and I bought a very early Dweller last month. I'll start posting more about it as we go on more trips. As for price the devil is in the details. I think the quality of craftsmanship and selection of parts in key places (drawer slides and latches, though the OP said they broke one in the show room which surprised me, AC standard, 300Ah batteries, Renogy 2000W inverter and BMS, etc.) all adds up.

And the mattress is extremely comfortable. Like legit awesome.

So I don't feel like I got ripped off at all. It's a nice product that I expect to last me many years.

I am really curious about your take after you've now had it for a few more months. I have looked at every trailer on the market over the last 2 years. We came very close to ordering an Overkill SO510, considered Kimberley, and even looked into importing an Oz spec trailer from down under. I was very leery of the Chinese trailers, but after seeing the Dweller, I was very pleasantly surprised. So much so that I just put down our deposit for the first Dweller to be sold in Texas and will pick it up in a couple of days.

I would love to hear anything you have to say. Have you had any issues at all? Anything you love or hate? I know I will be adding a hanging cot (made from T-slot aluminum) for our kiddo, but I'm curious if you've noticed anything else you want to upgrade or change.

gendlert

I am really curious about your take after you've now had it for a few more months. I have looked at every trailer on the market over the last 2 years. We came very close to ordering an Overkill SO510, considered Kimberley, and even looked into importing an Oz spec trailer from down under. I was very leery of the Chinese trailers, but after seeing the Dweller, I was very pleasantly surprised. So much so that I just put down our deposit for the first Dweller to be sold in Texas and will pick it up in a couple of days.

I would love to hear anything you have to say. Have you had any issues at all? Anything you love or hate? I know I will be adding a hanging cot (made from T-slot aluminum) for our kiddo, but I'm curious if you've noticed anything else you want to upgrade or change.

I'm writing up a review. I'll post it in a new thread tomorrow. Long story short: we love it. Congrats on yours! Will chat soon.

WFOORBUST

I picked up a used Kimberley Karavan and would do it again in a second! I looked at all of the US stuff and nothing is close in build quality or ability off road! No they aren't cheap but worth the money. Set up takes under ten minutes and about as fast to close up and go. Pulls like a dream and is very comfortable and cozy in all conditions. We had a hard time spending the money but are glad we did in the end.

I picked up a used Kimberley Karavan and would do it again in a second! I looked at all of the US stuff and nothing is close in build quality or ability off road! No they aren't cheap but worth the money. Set up takes under ten minutes and about as fast to close up and go. Pulls like a dream and is very comfortable and cozy in all conditions. We had a hard time spending the money but are glad we did in the end.
Congratulations! If you haven't already, touch base with David Bates at KK USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears