Official: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Jorsn

Adventurer
Diesel adds 400lb to equivalent V6 GC. You would need to adjust accordingly but mpg particularly hwy have a lot more to do with aerodynamics than weight.

True. I think the diesel is probably 200lbs heavier than the 3.6L. I've read the 2.8L wrangler gets pretty good mpg's especially with a tune.

Wrangler fans should be very excited about the upcoming 8-speed/3.6L direct injection pentastar. I've heard they are aiming for the 2015MY, But it might not happen until the new JK comes out.

haven

Expedition Leader
Since the purpose of the journey was to get the Truck Trend editors home from the Grand Cherokee introduction, I bet they drove as fast as possible.

Jorsn

Adventurer
Now we have a second data point for diesel mpg.

Truck Trend reports, "Our overall fuel economy was 22.9 mpg" for a trip from Austin, Texas to Los Angeles. MPG varied from 19.8 to 25.8 during highway driving. Results improved as the miles on the new engine increased. Still, the result is considerably less than the EPA estimate of 28 mpg highway.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests...nd_cherokee_ecodiesel_first_test/viewall.html

A custom tune should really help with the mileage.

haven

Expedition Leader
Grand Cherokee diesel was the winner of a four way SUV comparison test conducted by Truck Trend. 2nd place, Porsche, 3rd place Mercedes, 4th place VW. The Jeep was the only vehicle in the test with a two speed transfer case.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/suv/163_1308_luxury_diesel_suv_comparison/index.html

The Grand Cherokee diesel with 8 speed automatic produced 26 mpg during the test. That's a little better than expected from the EPA rating of 21 mpg city, 28 highway.

For comparison, the 5.7L gasoline V8 with 8 speed automatic is rated at 14 mpg city, 20 highway in the 2014 Grand Cherokee, and produces about 10% less torque. Jeep recommends mid-grade gasoline (89 octane) for the 5.7L V8, which raises the cost per mile driven.

Scott Brady

Founder
It is a fantastic motor, particularly with the eight speed. Torque for days and quiet. On the trail, the low range is remarkable at nearly 50:1 with an automatic. The only thing they really need to address is articulation and total suspension travel with the IFS/IRS. It is a major wheel lifter

drcoopster

Adventurer
As an Aussie I can tell you we never use metric gallons for anything.

The only people that even use the word "gallon" are from pre-metrification days when that was the standard unit, and it was imperial.

If you hear an Aussie say MPG, they are talking about Imperial (American) MPG.

US gallons are not Imperial gallons. US gallons are smaller.

Terex

Adventurer
Drove our newish (1,000 miles) JGC Overland Diesel with Offroad II package home from Santa Fe to north of Taos, NM the other day, about 75 miles. Some 65 mph, some stop and go through Espanola and Taos, pretty good elevation change and twisties through the Rio Grande canyon road. Averaged 34 mpg for the trip. Entire trip at or over speed limit, no drafting - but no pedal to the metal either. Will be using it as daily driver for my wife and tow vehicle for our off-road trailer, approx. 3K Lbs. Seems perfectly suited to the tasks. I have a spare set of JKR wheels and tires that I'll mount for our off-road trips and will eventually add rock rails and maybe an ARB bumper and winch. http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/newProductAdvice/2014/WK2_14Retail.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger