OFFICIAL: Jeep JL User's Guide and Owner's Manual Released!! With pics!

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Owner's Manual

User's Guide

Of primary note:

• The doors are still removable.
  • The windshield still folds down (and is easier to do now)
  • 6 spd manual, 8 speed auto.
  • Four AUX switches pre-installed and wired, with some awesome programability.
  • Lockers are still only selectable as rear only, or both. Can still only be used in 4L.
  • There is a permanent 4wd option, which is FWD only until loss of traction is detected.
  • Engine auto start/stop. Turns off automatically in 4L, but stays on in 4H... There is a manual off switch, but the system is default on.
  • The 2L engine is turbo charged, or optionally turbocharged, and 91 octane is recommended.
  • Rear seat has fold down arm rest. 2 USB ports in rear. No word on whether middle rear seat actually has *** support this time...
  • The electric top is a permanent top, with removable rear quarter panels.
  • Doors have door checks now (wont swing shut on a hill to decapitate you, or swing open to smash unaware children/grandmas)
  • Hard top can be fitted with load bars now, allowing for 100 lbs load. Better than nothing.
  • Dual zone climate control.
  • Comes with tool kit for door/roof removal (lol)
  • Hard top looks to be insulated (Hothead headliner style, not with true headliner)
  • Tan/black interior option makes a return.
  • Fuel filler door appears standard.
  • 10A style bumpers seem standard.
  • GCWR 8100 lbs regardless of engine. Only differs by about 100 lbs between 2 door and 4 door.

Overall I am quite pleased. A few nits I could pick here and there, as with any vehicle, and a bunch of options that are just question marks until we experience their functionality first hand. But the key is that FCA appears to have not crapped the bed on this.

Last edited:

GetOutThere

Adventurer
TONS of new tech, including:

• Push button start.
  • Keyless proximity entry.
  • Blind spot assist.
  • Rear camera.
  • Rear collision warning (sensors pointed sideways when backing out of an alley for example).
  • Parking sensors.
  • Siri integration, with apple carplay.
  • 4 total USB ports.
  • Heated steering wheel (yay).
  • Off road dedicated screen options in the head unit, which show temps, status for lockers/sway bar, vehicle angles, lat/long, altitude, etc.
  • App integration allowing you to start/stop engine from your phone, activate lights, lock/unlock, etc.
  • GPS vehicle tracking from your phone.
  • And much more. A lot of new safety features as well.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Towing capacity has not changed from the JK. - though many people are saying this MIGHT not be the final revision of the info..

There are tons of bits pointing to a diesel (glow plugs, etc.) but of course it could possibly still be export only.

Gas tank size is actually slighter smaller.

No details on engine power/tq in these books, or mileage, or range.

It has about 10 million buttons on the dash. Insane.

Rear diff is now "Dana 220".

The Rubicon rear diff is Dana 220 WIDE - the Sahara has the "wide" as an option.

Unclear right now if only the Sahara has the 'part-time 4wd' where it engages when it senses lack of traction, or if all models have it.

Clearly a new 6-speed box, reverse is up next to 1st, different to the NSG370 6-speed in the JK

-Dan

Last edited:

ExploringJeeps

Pretty cool, I like the aux switches, door swing control, front windshield lowering, and the rear seat headrest lowering options. Looks like they actually listened to people.

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
Towing capacity has not changed from the JK.

-Dan

Actually from what we've seen so far the tow ratings are less.

According to the new JL OM:
2 door = 2,000 (down from 3500 on 3.73+)
4 door = 3,500 (same but GCWR and frontal area has decreased)

Below is a snip from the JL OM compared to a snip from the '16 OM. 4 door GCWR is down almost 800 pounds and 2 door almost 600! (granted we don't know what the JL weighs yet)

obkQUm.jpg

obkt7D.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Wow, lot's of really great features on the new JL.

"Power Sliding Top"????? Hmmmmm
No more thumb bolts to hold the freedom panels in place.
Tool kit included for top removal.
3 temp butt heaters & steering wheel heater.

Looks like lots of updates to make a great Jeep even greater.
I would like to see what the Nav system has in store. How cool would it be if it had real usability?

Can't wait to see these out in their natural habitat. :)

wandererr

Adventurer
Great features but I see a fancy car that is not meant to stray too far from civilization rather then a jeep..... Why? Too many electronic gizmos.... buddy of mine was recently stranded in a '13 (IIRC) on the 'Con because of an electronics issue.... so yeah in the JK's we have too much electronics dependency and in the JL it looks like they took it even further (I'm not a fan of the proximity starts and the KeyFob / keyless start options) making it more likely to get stuck due to failure of a component.

Oskipoo

Not Mechanically Inclined
i like it because 90 percent of people never take their jeeps offroad and they want all the electronics and features, but for those who travel the unbeaten path the less electrics the better.

bdp1978

Adventurer
Was next to a JL in traffic this morning. The exterior changes are really subtle. The windshield slant is noticeable, the taillights, the curve at the back of of the hardtop, and the front bumper....but overall....they sure didnt stray far from the JK. Couldnt quite get my timing lined up for better pics

IMG_20171019_080455_501.jpg20171019_074706.jpgIMG_20171019_080812_929.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171019_080812_920.jpg
    IMG_20171019_080812_920.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 18

moabian

Great features but I see a fancy car that is not meant to stray too far from civilization rather then a jeep..... Why? Too many electronic gizmos.... buddy of mine was recently stranded in a '13 (IIRC) on the 'Con because of an electronics issue.... so yeah in the JK's we have too much electronics dependency and in the JL it looks like they took it even further (I'm not a fan of the proximity starts and the KeyFob / keyless start options) making it more likely to get stuck due to failure of a component.

That's one huge reason why I got rid of my '13 JK and went back to a CJ. I was almost stranded by an electronic failure in the JK. I ended up having to "re-boot" the Jeep to make it out...disconnected the battery and reconnected after about a minute. There's something wrong with having to reboot a vehicle on the trail. I saw a 2-door and 4-door JL in Moab on Tuesday.

EMrider

Explorer
Looks like Jeep did it right again. No reason to panic about the end of the Wrangler tradition. If real world MPG is improved versus the JK I'd expect the JL to be a huge seller.

R

unkamonkey

Explorer
There is just some things I don't trust about the modern electrical systems. Not that I trust the old ones much more. My neighbor got a call from his daughter about her boyfriends truck breaking down and not starting. Mike and his wife piled in the pickup and drove all night long several hundreds of miles North for the rescue. After a bit of prodding and wiggleing wires Mike just had Scott disconnect the battery cable a few minutes. Problem solved. They could have saved themselves a lot of time if they had done that first.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Let's be honest, today's vehicles with all of the electronics are far more reliable than vehicles of the past. It's just that you need a master's from MIT to fix them.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Let's be honest, today's vehicles with all of the electronics are far more reliable than vehicles of the past. It's just that you need a master's from MIT to fix them.
I've fought with the Kettering (points) and electronic systems before and each can screw up in their own special way. One of my Jeeps is running an electronic ignition and the other still has points. Both start and run fine.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
An internal powerpoint has leaked showing weight, towing max and payload.

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...ad-for-jl-jlu-wrangler-and-jt-scrambler.1440/

Looks like the payload is basically unchanged, and the 3.0 diesel rubicon actually has the lowest payload !!!

Also the pickup will only be 4 door, and only 3.6 or 3.0 diesel (no turbo 4)
Pickup has 6500lbs towing capacity... which is nice, but still very low payload.
The 3.0 diesel will only be in the 4-door JL, no 2-door diesel (which is interesting for the export market...)

full list

Model | Weight | Towing Capacity | Max Payload

2-door JL Wrangler Sport (2.0L): 3797 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1075 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Sahara (2.0L): 3880 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1045 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Rubicon (2.0L): 4085 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1040 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Sport (3.6L): 3797 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1075 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Sahara (3.6L): 3880 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1045 lbs
2-door JL Wrangler Rubicon (3.6L): 4085 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1040 lbs

4-door JLU Wrangler Sport (2.0L): 4015 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1310 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sahara (2.0L): 4135 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1265 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (2.0L): 4300 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1235 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sport (3.6L): 4015 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1310 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sahara (3.6L): 4135 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1265 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (3.6L): 4390 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1235 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sport (3.0L diesel): 4395 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1280 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Sahara (3.0L diesel): 4590 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1160 lbs
4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (3.0L diesel): 4620 lbs | 3500 lbs | 1180 lbs

JT Scrambler Pickup Base (3.6L): 4576 lbs | 6500 lbs | 1400 lbs
JT Scrambler Pickups Premium (3.6L): 4576 lbs | 6500 lbs | 1400 lbs
JT Scrambler Pickup Base (3.0L Diesel): 5100 lbs | 6500 lbs | 1400 lbs
JT Scrambler Pickup Premium (3.0L Diesel): 5200 lbs | 6500 lbs | 1100 lbs

* Model weight was calculated by subtracting max payload from GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating).

Discuss the JT Scrambler figures @ http://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/f...-max-payload-figures-and-axles-revealed.1353/

A few more other points gleaned from these pages:

3.0L diesel again confirmed
Diesel will only be available with the 4-door JLU Wrangler and Jeep Scrambler Pickup
Jeep Scrambler (JT) Pickup will only be available in 4-door model
Jeep Scrambler (JT) Pickup will be available with 3.6L Pentastar and 3.0L diesel (not 2.0L turbo)
Jeep Scrambler (JT) Pickup will be available in base and premium models

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger