Official Test Results: Five Ways to Heat a Tent

MattJ

Adventurer
I think the trick would be to get that heater s close to the tent as possible..

Just s thought...

Yes - the secret to making the Propex system work is to 1) have it very close to the tent, and 2) use well-insulated hoses for both intake and output.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Some slight progress on the Mr. Heater Buddy set up while I wait for Propex parts to arrive. I bought at 12v fan with a directional vent that will blow the heat from the Buddy away from the ceiling directly above. I need to figure out a simple quick-mount bracket for it. Or I might just use zip ties. I have a 12v outlet hub with a 25-ft cord that powers the LED light strips and other accessories.

y4moCYWBVkfwfwLGMddgRYJ6n5XtFFtmf0MJ0iFelmFnTzEvxtr9dxIbJZJpRr825WKJmgC9VLRXupKmBCi7IvODHQWwncRPiliuR8t-BhTjWDfN4pNdqww_7Gl-VQEyfI72GPW4HKTffOL_bT-YRCQuEdjFR_6Z0dYMmxj227gv3y-3rI38GZ9UIxKZ_eSSQ2T7hs2BRlNAb5JVYITL0AO4Q

y4mY1E-pWjJstIROko3AmVYPmjSHAXrmKXXcBb5SGWYVzQKDZAGfo9U-NMHDRDtXICiYhaCX7inHKpSr7mbZKLEvJT8WzGncclgMTvh3coTSuLTS7iIY1pXbGjLirkUdSm0CfBehRzfQWzV0qu5ZUAyJUhbXj75gWZTN5E8VMM-XU22ndjCto9JiZw9qZvuiaw7DmgO9UBUt5dsGuV4Ho8K6A

y4mNZaHFogJQDVDv62qNccrglkMyYfGlhiePdCscHWEYEiDFtuIxb3uNnBn107oz7CCJe2mG0pPjO4KeQ-MchhPMoWIUkhY7g08HdPKAAI0Dw-INlJoSVY8Vd8fxA_5st6qzwcI680kT7QRnnoOg57YYYV7VGQqvyTQtMzvTG5WOPitkVi5N50lcs-iQoe-ZOnZnz1unXi_X92zMU4YWr5QIw

Could you post up a link to that heater ? Thanks

dcg141

Adventurer
If you have a 2000 W generator these work great. They are not you run of the mill space heaters. Designed as work tent heaters in Finland they will heat a RTT and annex really fast. Small and simple. I've had mine for about 3 years now. This is a pretty good price on them also. https://www.allsunsolarproducts.com/pae1elsphe.html

Last edited:

woytovich

Observer
Honestly, the best TD heating method I've seen is this one. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=62327&start=15

The short version is using a water heater ( either built in, or instant type) with a thermostat and a very quiet pump and a pc Case fan and a heat exchanger to warm up the interior.

I was/am considering a similar build. Mine would be to heat the inside of my tow/sleeping truck - a 2003 Yukon XL - but should work in a RTT/tent as well. I have a portable hot water/shower rig built from an on-demand propane water heater and an on-demand water pump. I was thinking to just add a way to route the hot water through an exchanger with a fan. Add a thermostat to turn the pump on & off (which will in turn turn the heater on/off and it should work. Ideally a permanent mount/bulkhead fitting path for the water to get in/out of the truck but a simple panel to go into a partially lowered window would work.

MattJ

Adventurer
If you have a 2000 W generator these work great. They are not you run of the mill space heaters. Designed as work tent heaters in Finland they will heat a RTT and annex really fast. Small and simple. I've had mine for about 3 years now. This is a pretty good price on them also. http://www.allsunsolarproducts.com/grbelhe.html

Interesting - how do you use it? Can you post some pictures? Do you run it with a separate generator and place the unit inside a roof-top tent?

dcg141

Adventurer
Interesting - how do you use it? Can you post some pictures? Do you run it with a separate generator and place the unit inside a roof-top tent?

Yes..I run it off my 2000W gen...I just run an extension cord into the annex and it sits on the floor in a corner. The heat rises into the main tent. I keep the gen pretty much for the heater alone. All my other electric power is 12V. It gets used around the house also..very good at heating small rooms. I've never taken pics of it inside the tent. I have used it in the teens and it keeps the whole tent in the mid 60's. In the 30's you have to use the thermostat. I have never camped with it in single digits. I have a 10x10 popup also with the zip on walls and during the day in bad weather it heats up that space also and makes cooking more comfortable. Its small and portable so moving it around is easy.

Last edited:

dcg141

Adventurer
Why is this heater any different/better than a cheapie Holmes ceramic heater?

The fan circulates more air. I have one of those also and it does not distribute as much heat. What is strange is the coil does not glow red and it does not feel that hot but the temp inside wherever you use it comes down and pretty fast.

MattJ

Adventurer
I was very excited to receive my final shipment of components today so I could build my Propex extension hose! Well, after two hours of sweat, blisters, cuts and profane language, I gave up. The 60mm inner ducting will not work with the 2.5" thermoplastic tubing. And like an idiot, I cut the tubing apart to try and jam the ducting into it as separate sections. So now I can't return the 2.5" tubing. I plan to purchase some 3" tubing and try again. At this point, I'm just hoping to get my Propex heating system completed . . . by summer.

y4mdcWvvULbj32YA3TKxkscfsmSVYnkeT9ruKaYmjDxPz-Y-GSF9GKhTXR53xn5CgnWnk7br_HL5gP1fNBqkcdPZOMsmrGubmE30g59tEBe0SUdh436Kv7j8AjIb_UF4QYVDyd_CHql9WB6zHzG03Jm1gKjYkotSz9hX1UCnL-iXfoniSVurJGCiVrtVJ3FkVJB1-6TzAcJmrVAZNYL8C8mYQ

y4mqL0SY25lC10lK3HpRdu1nOlEXhqvnSCwbm5Tf7UESCQ8Q6x0rYfOyyhU0r1nj_9UBw5RMzHQBrUZacOf2F6DizOV6CWOL6KgMR4eN5B_ZPW9nXcm9OdfwOmcAtfV2GStA4AtDaKV5uTov9MP8iV6BZso-GW2xfB9Glrjn1poCRU_GjagsCPlGdgjuKtj8bGs4DAXcBpyCPWzQSxmmeia1w

y4mmMDPDJ6FKBGaTVpCpd788fc3eBzygqQO3nu9Yfi1WSi5V1AfhJSVMDP5mHj6BMEGZW09I3CYPy3ZvH9U5t8bZzC7AqvE1MkMXsmT-jt3mImI0Gyejg1vNFjF73Ebsi8FIGGBL5NGd25Jc9-lrFA-tpnsw_6O1KgndGbaERqxOYiNGs2jJdTvI1Nt4DUqsZu9lpKUTVfg0g19SbP6Wct8qQ

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
What about getting some of that thermo-plastic tubing in 3" diameter.. you could slide the 2.5" into it and call it a day...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior