OffRoad Air Tank

TurboChris

Adventurer
So I've always wanted a Powertank....but could never justify the cost. Saw one on Craigslist for $300 the other day and decided to get it. But it was sold before I could go to see it. Doh! So I started looking around again...and found this company.

http://offroadair.net/OAbrochure.pdf

Well, they sell on Amazon as well. I just received mine yesterday, I just got the basic package which is everything but no adjustable regulator (although they do sell it with one) I don't intend to use air tools with it.

$242.00! This is a tough price to beat....This company is the best price I could find....

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/co2systems.htm

Anyways......I never air'd down much offroading as I HATED how long it took to air back up.....I'm looking forward to it now.

ddog45

Adventurer
A person can also find used co2 tanks at restraunts and bars. My local sushi restraunt gave me two 20lb tanks for free. I ordered a fixxed regulator and was off and running. I have since given away one tank and down sized to a 15 lb tank. I to was to cheap to get the powertank brand products.

Gokracer1

Adventurer
I have a PT10 Powertank and really do like it, it was hard to bite the bullet at first but now I am looking into getting a second tank just to have as a spare.

I missed out, Powertank was selling some overstocked 15lb Tanks, w/ tank boot, high flow regulator, and hose for $299!!!!! DOH DOH DOH!!

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
As much as I liked my 20lb CO2 tank when I had it, I am really glad that I went to an ARB compressor setup when I installed my air locker. It works pretty fast and never runs out. When I ran CO2 we ran leftover tanks from restaurants or welding supply shops and just swapped them out for about $20. Off-roading every weekend I would burn through a 20lb tank a month, which isn't bad but it was annoying if the tank wasn't full enough to fill the tires back up.

-Alex

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I was easily able to build my own setup with the help of a local restaurant beverage supplier. I bought a used liquid co2 tank, used adjustable regulator and got it filled there for under $200 ($170 IIRC). I had to add a quick release fitting to the regulator. Simply bought one at HD. Also had to make my own hoses. ($20 kit from Ace Hardware).

One thing to be cautious on is the date stamped on used tanks. these tanks all have an expiration date. My understanding is that beyond that date, no reputable liquid co2 source will fill them for you.

HTH.

XJINTX

Explorer
If the date has expired they are not supposed to fill them. However, tanks can be recertified and get a new expiration date. That's how I picked one up cheap off CL... the guy thought it was no good anymore ;)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If the date has expired they are not supposed to fill them. However, tanks can be recertified and get a new expiration date. That's how I picked one up cheap off CL... the guy thought it was no good anymore ;)

That's cool to learn. Thanks. What's involved with the re-certification process?

XJINTX

Explorer
The local vendor here that fills mine has certification but I took it to another company just in-case he was BSing me.

Nope the other company that does not fill CO2 does certify. I think it was 22 dollars and it's good for I think 5 more years. I might be wrong on the years but I can check if you need. They just put another cert number and exp date stamped into the bottle.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for when I have to redo mine... although living in California, I wouldnt doubt there may be additional considerations the state has.

rezdiver

Adventurer
The test is called a hydro test with a visual inspection. aluminium tanks have to be done at least every 5 years, its the same for steel although some bottles may be good for 10 years. the hydro test is an expansion test where the bottle is tested to a pressure of i beileve just under 1.5 times the working pressure rated on the cylinder (about 5/3rd the presure stamped on the shoulder of the cylinder), and it is checked for expansion and allowable contraction rates. also visually checked for corrosion, cracks and cracks in the neck and threads for aluminium tanks.
most fire extinguisher repair shops will carry out this test and certify it.on average it costs around 25 dollars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears