Offroad pop up

jh504

Explorer
I have been thinking of a trailer build lately. I have a very solid base for a build. It is an older 4'x8' utility trailer. It already has a spring over and the frame is made of 1/4" steel. It is very heavy duty compared to todays utility trailers.
I like the space of a pop up rather than a teardrop style trailer but I know even the "rugged" pop ups would fall apart if used for what I intend to do with it. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of taking the body of a pop up, reinforcing it, and mounting it on a solid frame? I am pretty sure the interior components would need to be upgraded as well, so all I would really be useing would be the body and the pop up top.
I intend on taking it wherever my Jeep is capable of pulling it so it will need to be very sturdy. Any input or suggestions are welcome!

Also, I am a draftsman and have cnc resources at my fingertips. I have access to a very nice waterjet capable of cutting steel, so fabbing up something sturdy is possible.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
jh504 said:
I have been thinking of a trailer build lately. I have a very solid base for a build. It is an older 4'x8' utility trailer. It already has a spring over and the frame is made of 1/4" steel. It is very heavy duty compared to todays utility trailers.
I like the space of a pop up rather than a teardrop style trailer but I know even the "rugged" pop ups would fall apart if used for what I intend to do with it. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of taking the body of a pop up, reinforcing it, and mounting it on a solid frame? I am pretty sure the interior components would need to be upgraded as well, so all I would really be useing would be the body and the pop up top.
I intend on taking it wherever my Jeep is capable of pulling it so it will need to be very sturdy. Any input or suggestions are welcome!

Also, I am a draftsman and have cnc resources at my fingertips. I have access to a very nice waterjet capable of cutting steel, so fabbing up something sturdy is possible.

I would think the width of a conventional pop-up will be the major limitation to where you can tow it.

miller_au

Adventurer
Hey mate, Track Trailers here is oz built a off road pop top.. not sure if its awvailable yet but it might give you some design ideas. I struggled to find a link for you sorry.

Would be interested to see your progress if you get this underway!

jh504

Explorer
spressomon said:
I would think the width of a conventional pop-up will be the major limitation to where you can tow it.

Width will definitely be a factor, especially here on the eastcoast, the trails are very tight. I would think that I could pull it really anywhere a fullsize truck will fit though. I have encountered full size rigs on nearly all of the trails I have been on so far in NC.

If the main problem with taking it down the trail is the width factor, then I will be satisfied. I am really trying to focus on the structural integrity. I would also be looking more at the smaller pop ups as well since my tow rig is a Jeep. Thanks for the help.

jh504

Explorer
miller_au said:
Hey mate, Track Trailers here is oz built a off road pop top.. not sure if its awvailable yet but it might give you some design ideas. I struggled to find a link for you sorry.

Would be interested to see your progress if you get this underway!

Thanks for the lead, I will check them out.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
jh504 said:
Width will definitely be a factor, especially here on the eastcoast, the trails are very tight. I would think that I could pull it really anywhere a fullsize truck will fit though. I have encountered full size rigs on nearly all of the trails I have been on so far in NC.

If the main problem with taking it down the trail is the width factor, then I will be satisfied. I am really trying to focus on the structural integrity. I would also be looking more at the smaller pop ups as well since my tow rig is a Jeep. Thanks for the help.
Spressomon saw what happened when I tried to take my pop-up through Steel Pass. Even though you can take a full size rig through there I ran into problems with the pop-up. Remember the trailer tracks slightly inside the tow vehicle track, if you have no room to spare that means damage. I have a spring over and increased the wheel size, clearance was not an issue. I just couldn't swing the tow vehicle wide enough to get the trailer by the rock wall of the canyon. On the up side the trailer is so light six guys picked it up and moved it sideways enough for me to back out with out damage.

I think you will also find that the construction of a pop-up body will not hold up. They are typically built out of 2X2 wood that is stapled together and covered with an aluminum skin. You have to get into the high end RV's before you find screw and glue construction. The ones built with steel or aluminum body frames are in the "OMFG you have to be kidding" price range. Pop-ups are just not in that price market.

jh504

Explorer
rusty_tlc said:
Spressomon saw what happened when I tried to take my pop-up through Steel Pass. Even though you can take a full size rig through there I ran into problems with the pop-up. Remember the trailer tracks slightly inside the tow vehicle track, if you have no room to spare that means damage. I have a spring over and increased the wheel size, clearance was not an issue. I just couldn't swing the tow vehicle wide enough to get the trailer by the rock wall of the canyon. On the up side the trailer is so light six guys picked it up and moved it sideways enough for me to back out with out damage.

I think you will also find that the construction of a pop-up body will not hold up. They are typically built out of 2X2 wood that is stapled together and covered with an aluminum skin. You have to get into the high end RV's before you find screw and glue construction. The ones built with steel or aluminum body frames are in the "OMFG you have to be kidding" price range. Pop-ups are just not in that price market.

I hear what you are saying about the construction of the pop ups. I was trying to think of a good way of reinforcing the body by fabbing up some type of steel support network. Even if it meant just finding an old camper and stripping everything out and just useing the skin and the pop up top.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Maybe if you built something similar to AT's clamshell idea? Something hardsided when closed but with longitudinally opening soft sides?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
jh504 said:
I hear what you are saying about the construction of the pop ups. I was trying to think of a good way of reinforcing the body by fabbing up some type of steel support network. Even if it meant just finding an old camper and stripping everything out and just useing the skin and the pop up top.
I'd ditch the skin. It would be more work than it's worth to try to save it. You can buy new skin material from an RV repair place.
Just use the fiberglass top, canvas, canvas frame and lift mechanism.
Since the canvas is usually trashed on old pop-ups your left with the frame top and lift system.

Rupe

Adventurer
I have a Jumping Jack trailer that I tow behind my JK 2dr. It's strong and easy to put up and take down. Go to www.jumpingjacktrailers.com and check them out. You could get some idea's from it I'm sure. It is about 2" to 3" wider, on each side, then my fender flares on my Jeep. We really like it alot. just my .02 cents.

jh504

Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am currently picking through craigslist to see if I can find a platform to start from. I will post up if I find something for a build.

jh504

Explorer
rctr03 said:
check white owl in nc. they are a military supply company. my 101 was 650.00.
good luck!

Thanks for the link. They do have a M332 for $300, but that is a little big for my Jeep. I was checking out there landing mats, they look like they would work pretty well for sand ladders.

jh504

Explorer
I think I will be putting the trailer build on hold, until after Christmas at least. Christmas time will be draining the wallet a little more than expected.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Rupe said:
I have a Jumping Jack trailer that I tow behind my JK 2dr. It's strong and easy to put up and take down. Go to www.jumpingjacktrailers.com and check them out. You could get some idea's from it I'm sure. It is about 2" to 3" wider, on each side, then my fender flares on my Jeep. We really like it alot. just my .02 cents.
There's no pricing info on the site, any insight you can provide on this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior