offroad RV project !

BigDan

Observer
Sold my TDI converted westfalia 2 months ago ....bought a Rialta for this year vacations ,but I`m planning to build myself an offroad capable vehicle

3 options come to my mind :

1) A modified high roof Suburban , 6.5 L diesel , already 4x4 , lifted on 36" , with lockers .....I would remove the back seats and convert it to camping amenities !

my concern is : can I find or fabricate a decent looking high roof conversion for it !

2) I could get a pristine Chevy 14 feet cube with a 6.5L diesel ,that I could convert into 4x4 .... the back space is fantastic ......
but I`m afraid the truck would be bulky at times !

3) chevy Savannah diesel ,convert it to 4x4 , and convert the back part into camping area .....

Advices or maybe even other ideas ?......

thanks
Dan ,

tommartin

For the most part it would seem like there would be more suspension parts and performance parts for the Suburban and space would be the limiting factor.

The van or cube idea sounds cool for an expedition rig.

I never lifted a van or camper before.

I came across this site just now that looks like it has some lift parts for vans...

http://boulderoffroadvans.com/home

4x4_Chevy_Express_Chase_Van.2983740_std.jpg

4x4_E350_by_boulder_offroad.2984121_std.JPG

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Welcome to the dilemma. You need to identify exactly how you will use the RV when it's done. Once you list your priorities, it makes it much simpler to decide. Do you want a hardcore 4x4 or a comfortable camper that can get you to most offroad spots? Will you be bringing lots of "stuff" with you, ie: kayak, bike, climbing gear, a home office? Do you want to shower outside in the weather? Do you want to lounge inside the camper, prepare food or just sleep? Take all the the things you must have and put them on a list. The process of elimination will determine which path to take.

BigDan

Observer
I already have a hard core Jeep .....
The westfalia dint have shower or toilet ...so !
but an external shower would be planned this time, lollll
when we did our roadtrip un the US ( 32 states ) from March to end of June , we coulndt do the offroad areas .....being a Jeeper at heart ,it hurted me !
we plan to do it again in 2016 .......this time id be offroad capable
fuel economy is a factor too ............

java

Expedition Leader
I vote cube van. That was my idea before I found my RV.

How small of a road do you need to get down? How hardcore offroad? That will dictate a lot.

For me, Id love it to be a little smaller, and I have never used the water system, but the 4x4 RV gets me everywhere I want for the winters. Its mostly used for ski bum road trips, but gets me out snow camping in comfort.

barefoot boy

Observer
Colorado Camper did a nice looking pop top on an Expedition or an Excursion; I'm a Chevy guy, so I do not know the difference:) There is also a 'Burb that has a westy top in the full size build threads.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I know of several people who did the off-road van thing and all say the same thing - it seemed like a good idea... to me, it does seem like the best of all worlds since they're shorter than a 'burb; but all of them complained about how hard it was to wheel them. Vans also come with heat issues. Your mileage may vary, but if you can rent one for a weekend before you buy, that might not be a bad idea?

were it me, putting a box (such as a diesel, box truck like a CUCV M1010) on your rig - so you can tow your jeep to places where it would be required would seem like a good idea... why take one toy when you can take two?

BigDan

Observer
the suburban with the vanagon pop top is a great idea ....not sure we can stand up in it !

A diesel widened body Van that I would convert to 4x4 would be my best bet !
but then a short cube van could do it !

I dont intend to do hardcore trails .....I just need extra traction for the rough sections ......( towing the Jeep all the way on 15,000 milles ,nope ! )

BigDan

Observer
I found a couple of AWD Savana Vans for sale with 5.3L V8 vortec engine ....

In the 25000 version ,all the undercariage seems quite sturdy !

If I get an AWD Van, I have to find a raised roof for it ! Any manufacturer link ?

Anyone would have a link of someone who modified a cube van or maybe even a step van ......

Any advice is welcomed !

thanks

Dan ,

superbuickguy

Explorer
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how, where, and with who you camp.
I've owned, several slide-in campers (still have one), 5th wheels, camp trailers, class c and class a motorhomes, suburbans, blazers (both big and large). I ski, water ski, travel to remote places... so it kind of ranges the gamut.

why do you need to stand up inside? at this moment, my "go-to" set up is this

but it's just me and a very large pooch. I also leave the RTT at home and simply stretch out in the back (I have a flat floor) and then bring the awning... in fact, next year, for the overland rally, it may just be a sleeping bag in the back if it rains, or a cot to sleep on in the awning at night... the RTT is for luxurious, multi-day outings when I'm moving every day.

as I said before, I think the van is actually the worse of all worlds, and having a samurai behind a full-size with a slide in would be a pretty nice way to travel if you need to stand up inside...
and with that said, the older I get, the less I take with me... but ask anyone, I'm pretty contrarian in most things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78