Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

stomperxj

Explorer
Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to get some dimensions of the trailer and the size of the tires you are running on it. I apologize if this has been asked before. This would be great.
Thanks!
Jesse

Join date of 6-21-2011... make some posts and get to be known around here a little first.

No offense... but you are the third person that has signed up either here or on the teardrop forums since yesterday asking for dimensions of some of my trailers... Seems kinda fishy...

Jess

gabepari

Explorer
:ylsmoke:

Wait til they start showing up at your shop with graph paper, tape measures and cameras :elkgrin: We get one, at least, once a week...

Cody1771

Explorer
Join date of 6-21-2011... make some posts and get to be known around here a little first.

No offense... but you are the third person that has signed up either here or on the teardrop forums since yesterday asking for dimensions of some of my trailers... Seems kinda fishy...

Jess

heh... you have those plan's you drew up copywrited? lol

jzbilodeau

Jess

I apologize that a number of ppl have asked, I found your build thread while looking up home built tear drop style trailers. This is by far the best home built version i have found and love it. I joined the forum recently because I joined specifically to post on your thread. I just wanted to get an idea of the width and length more than anything and tire size to just give me a starting point to design my own trailer. I understand if you don't want to share, if I was you I would also think it was fishy. Me and a couple good friends are planning a road/ overland trip and would be leaving 2 summers from now from Vermont travel the states and then to Alaska. I am planning on building a trailer for myself and this is why I asked. Figured I would reply and just give you an idea where I'm coming from. I also think that you should consider building and selling this design or something, by far my favorite of any teardrop style trailer on the market. Have a good one and no offense taken I understand where you are coming from,
Jesse

Cody1771

Explorer
I apologize that a number of ppl have asked, I found your build thread while looking up home built tear drop style trailers. This is by far the best home built version i have found and love it. I joined the forum recently because I joined specifically to post on your thread. I just wanted to get an idea of the width and length more than anything and tire size to just give me a starting point to design my own trailer. I understand if you don't want to share, if I was you I would also think it was fishy. Me and a couple good friends are planning a road/ overland trip and would be leaving 2 summers from now from Vermont travel the states and then to Alaska. I am planning on building a trailer for myself and this is why I asked. Figured I would reply and just give you an idea where I'm coming from. I also think that you should consider building and selling this design or something, by far my favorite of any teardrop style trailer on the market. Have a good one and no offense taken I understand where you are coming from,
Jesse

welcome to ExPo! you've definatly come to the right place, there are tons of homebuilt trailers and all sorts of things on here. as far as size goes it really depends on whats towing it IMO. i like to keep it the same stance as your rig. and preferable with similiar tire size. and dimensions of the actual camper should be big enough so you can comfortably sleep. im 6'1 so when i build my trailer im going to aim for a 7 foot bed so it will probably be considerably larger than this one :)

jzbilodeau

welcome to ExPo! you've definatly come to the right place, there are tons of homebuilt trailers and all sorts of things on here. as far as size goes it really depends on whats towing it IMO. i like to keep it the same stance as your rig. and preferable with similiar tire size. and dimensions of the actual camper should be big enough so you can comfortably sleep. im 6'1 so when i build my trailer im going to aim for a 7 foot bed so it will probably be considerably larger than this one :)

Thanks! I'm actually a Cherokee owner as well and why this trailer was so appealing. I have quickly realized the wealth of information here and will be very helpful in the future. And thanks for the tips!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Wow... epic read. Just plowed through this from end to end in one sitting. Damn you skilled builders on this forum, you are eating up all my time reading about this stuff!! lol

Seriously, very nice job. Looks like you have some boat builder hiding in you somewhere? Love the shape and the execution. The overall exterior shape is my fav home brew teardrop by far, looks... aggressive and suits the XJ well.

Looking forward to 2.0 man! Cant wait to get my wee M101 CDN2 built up.
Greg

Bumzo1

its funny you say that, I found this thread a few months ago and loved the shape, but being 6'1" also I designed my version with a 7' interior and a few more luxuries in the galley. I posted a thread about it a few months ago if you want to take a look at my rendering. StomperXJ is a great craftsman and influence, hopefully one day I'll have the time and money to do my own build.

stomperxj

Explorer
Every thought about doing a bunk-bed version to fit more than 2?

Hadn't thought about that but i'm sure for smaller kids it would work ok.

heh... you have those plan's you drew up copywrited? lol

I only wish. No money for copy writing at the moment...

Jesse

Jesse... Thanks for replying. I just want to make sure people are legit before handing out anything. The sides were cut from a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood, it is approx 62" wide, the tires are 31", bed is about 75", 48" between inner fender wells...

Wow... epic read. Just plowed through this from end to end in one sitting. Damn you skilled builders on this forum, you are eating up all my time reading about this stuff!! lol

Seriously, very nice job. Looks like you have some boat builder hiding in you somewhere? Love the shape and the execution. The overall exterior shape is my fav home brew teardrop by far, looks... aggressive and suits the XJ well.

Looking forward to 2.0 man! Cant wait to get my wee M101 CDN2 built up.
Greg

Thanks Greg... believe it or not, this was my first major wood working project. If i built another one of these i'd change a few things but the overall shape and concept would be the same. Sawtooth 2.0 will start probably next summer. Its totally different from this one but should be a fun build-

its funny you say that, I found this thread a few months ago and loved the shape, but being 6'1" also I designed my version with a 7' interior and a few more luxuries in the galley. I posted a thread about it a few months ago if you want to take a look at my rendering. StomperXJ is a great craftsman and influence, hopefully one day I'll have the time and money to do my own build.

I'm only 5'11" and its a little short for me as well. Good luck on building your own... i love seeing any kind of build. Glad i could inspire you a little ;)

jzbilodeau

Jesse... Thanks for replying. I just want to make sure people are legit before handing out anything. The sides were cut from a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood, it is approx 62" wide, the tires are 31", bed is about 75", 48" between inner fender wells...

Thanks for the reply! I recently drew up a 3D model in sketchup that is of a similar shape but larger than this. I also plan on running 31's so it is good to know yours are the same size so I have an idea of what it would look like. If you'd like I can post the sketchup model since you're so generous. I wouldn't mind bouncing some ideas around anyway.
Thanks again,
Jesse

stomperxj

Explorer
Thanks for the reply! I recently drew up a 3D model in sketchup that is of a similar shape but larger than this. I also plan on running 31's so it is good to know yours are the same size so I have an idea of what it would look like. If you'd like I can post the sketchup model since you're so generous. I wouldn't mind bouncing some ideas around anyway.
Thanks again,
Jesse

Yeah start up a new thread so you can get some discussion going about your design. I'd love to see it :)

stomperxj

Explorer
Small update...

Nicole and I bought a house a few months ago. Add the fact that we have had the wettest spring in years and thats whats been taking up a lot of our time. We haven't even been camping yet... :(

The new house:
1.jpg

1973 split entry, 1800 sq ft, got it at auction for super cheap but it needs a few things done to it. The most important part is there is room for a 28x32 shop in the back :)
backyard.jpg

Anyway... back to the trailer. Repairs have started.... I have had some cracking on some of the 1/4" skin on the radii at the front and on the hatch area. Plus some of the corners started to show some cracks too. The radii were just too tight at 6". Sanded the spots down, cleaned them out and mixed up some CPES. I put on about 3 coats on all the spots so it would soak in good. Next is paint. Hopefully in the next week or so...

sm0008.jpg

sm0006.jpg

sm0005.jpg

sm0004.jpg

sm0003.jpg

sm0002.jpg

sm0001.jpg

sm0009.jpg

Thats all for now-
Jess

indiedog

Adventurer
Well done on the house purchase Jess, sounds like you are going to be busy for a while. Interesting to see the lower floor is set into the ground. That's for thermal mass I gather to assist in the cold climate? Great to also hear how Sawtooth is fairing as it'll help us mortals with our future builds. :D

DiabloBlanco

Im new here so first of all hello to all. Love the site. Seems like alot of great people with great advise.

Congrats on the new house Jess. Thats a fun project in it self. Amazing trailer! I have bounced the idea of an off road style tear drop in my head for a while. It was awsome to see pics of yours to see size. Did you do any more additions on the inside? If you go for a v2 built i will be glued to your thread.

Take care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179