Offroad tool kit

Daveeli

What do you guys carry in your tool boxes or bags for field repairs? I feel like I either pack to little or way to much ending up with over 50 lbs of tools. A little advice please.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Make a list. Long hand written out. Depends on your rig. I have a particular list, and I divide my tools up into groups.
group 1: wheel wrenches, hammers, pry bars, heavy stuff.
group 2: wrenches, open end and ratcheting. Sockets, 1/4, 3/8 and some 1/2" ratchets and extensions.
group 3: electrical, connectors, tape, strippers, crimpers, etc fuses, anything to fix electrical. this has spare voltage regs for alternators.
group 4: random tools, SST for wheel hubs, vise grips, slip joints, screwdrivers.
Each gets it's own tool bag. Keeps them small, and easy to lift. Also allows for easy checking to see if you leave anything laying on the ground.

don't get carried away. be realistic about what you need and trim the fat,

keep a tarp, say 6x8 to work on. Always put your tools on something so you can see them. Don't just lay them in the mud, and on the ground.

Daveeli

Make a list. Long hand written out. Depends on your rig. I have a particular list, and I divide my tools up into groups.
group 1: wheel wrenches, hammers, pry bars, heavy stuff.
group 2: wrenches, open end and ratcheting. Sockets, 1/4, 3/8 and some 1/2" ratchets and extensions.
group 3: electrical, connectors, tape, strippers, crimpers, etc fuses, anything to fix electrical. this has spare voltage regs for alternators.
group 4: random tools, SST for wheel hubs, vise grips, slip joints, screwdrivers.
Each gets it's own tool bag. Keeps them small, and easy to lift. Also allows for easy checking to see if you leave anything laying on the ground.

don't get carried away. be realistic about what you need and trim the fat,

keep a tarp, say 6x8 to work on. Always put your tools on something so you can see them. Don't just lay them in the mud, and on the ground.

Good ideas, I like the idea of each group having it's own tool roll or bag, that way I only grab what I need.

AaronK

Explorer
I need to compile a list of every socket size on my Tundra to use as a foundation for my overland tool kit. Right now I bring all of them. Also always bring my Ryobi cordless impact wrench and impact sockets.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Daveeli

I looked but couldn't find them. That thread isn't really what I was talking about.

Last edited:

tarditi

Explorer
I have a basic tool kit, plus carry spare fluids (oil, gear oil, brake fluid) as situation dictates. I also have a kit of miscellaneous odds and ends for field repair. In this I keep plumber's tape (metal with a bunch of holes in it), baling wire, nuts, bolts, and washers of various lengths, a c-clamp, tire patch kit, jb weld, duct tape, electrical tape, hose clamps, zip ties,etc. It's all about getting back to civilization at that point.
I've also found a couple pieces of angle steel and aluminum handy.

You can't plan for every possible situation, but you can be clever about how you hobble your rig back to a place for a proper repair. I know guys who insist on carrying spare driveshafts, CV joints (or axle stubs), u joints, etc. and it can get pretty wild to see their rolling workshop, but I just don't have that kind of space.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I EDC (every day carry) a Victornox tinker Swiss army knife in my pocket.
...in the vehicles;
tools sufficient to remove and replace nearly every fastener (wrenches sockets screwdrivers etc.)(fits in a medium ammo box).
an old D cell G.I. angle head flashlight converted to LED operation (water resistant and too ugly to steal, it can shine up, at an angle or down and is mostly hands free).
a DVM with vehicle schematic,
tire plug kit with extra plugs,
tire irons,
a portable air compressor (or a converted AC compressor under the hood),
A U.S.G.I. matt-ax or G.I. mini pick
a G.I. trifold entrenching tool
A Svensaw (large)
A good set of heavy duty jumper cables,
if four wheeling; a stinger a, welding rods and welding goggles (#10 lens), use with jumper cables and 2 starting batteries.
the winch accessories & other recovery gear, tree strap, snatch strap, snatch block, etc.
a log chain, good for rigging the snatch block for the winch, or with a bolt to tension it can clamp.
Spare universal joints for drive shafts and axles.
spare u bolts or clamps for the joints.
spare fluids, a small quantity of axle grease and radiator stop leak.
a set of hoses (get universal flex hoses for the big radiator hoses, they store better) with high quality hose clamps.
epoxy putty
A length of high pressure fuel line capable of reaching from the tank to the engine with a spare high pressure injection pump.
A peanut butter jar full of misc. nuts bolts washers spar spark plug, tire valves & stems, electrical crimp on splices connectors etc, and random bench top junk.

When four wheeling depending on the trails; a spare drive shaft.

Flat items are often Velcroed (Velcro one-wrap) to the roll bar, the tool can is bolted to a fender, the hoses are secured using their hose clamps to struts under the hood. The fluids ride in a milk crate.
this doesn't count commonsense items like a fire extinguisher and first aid kit (or toilet paper)...
Enjoy!

Last edited:

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I guess I was thinking hand tools for repairs. There is a long list of many things depending on what you are preparing for. My truck is like anyone else's,
personal implements for reasons known only to me, jacks/fishing rods/axes/knives/axes/guns/compressor/welder, etc, but I don't think this is about that.
The hardest part is not packing for 'everything', trying to balance the risk management.

Daveeli

I guess I was thinking hand tools for repairs. There is a long list of many things depending on what you are preparing for. My truck is like anyone else's,
personal implements for reasons known only to me, jacks/fishing rods/axes/knives/axes/guns/compressor/welder, etc, but I don't think this is about that.
The hardest part is not packing for 'everything', trying to balance the risk management.
It was meant to be about hand tools. When I start packing sockets and wrenches, I don't know when to stop. It seems like I need or might need everything. The trouble is knowing what to leave out.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
If you get down to basics, I drive a Land Cruiser. Any mechanical LC guys knows the basic metric sizes that will work on 90% of everything on one.
I know 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22, & 24 will fix that 90%. My experience has taught me that I actually prefer 1/4" sockets for most repairs.
And I really like Gear Wrench flex-heads. But I only carry needed sizes.
Then I need everything to pull a driveshaft, axle shaft, or birfield. Then the basic consumables associated with that - axle seals/gasket maker.
Just figure on the basics and what you can fix and stop there.

AndrewP

Explorer
I sort of laugh at the guys with on board welder, Then go on about how it saved their adventure.
When I think... They went out in a rig what was not up to scratch to begin with, or were recklessly abusive in a remote area.
Serves them right to need field welding.

Boy-you just invited the bad karma.

I was sort of agreeing with you until this. I have seen portable welders save the day (including this past week) when frames crack, or mounts break or whatever. It does not mean there was abuse. Unpredictable things happen that you can't always prepare for, and a portable welder is just one more tool in the arsenal. Just because you have not seen the need yet, does not mean you won't need it. And when you do, I hope you will remember this post!

Just this past week on the Dusy, we used a welder to fix a FF rear axle that tore out it's mounting studs, and weld up a spring hanger that had cracked and was slowly tearing off the frame. 6 weeks ago on the Rubicon, there were similar issues including a cracked and flexing power steering pump mount on my own truck that was fixed in 5 minutes with a Ready Welder. The mount was solid before the trip and the truck had done that trail previously dozens of times.

Anyway, go ahead and laugh, but you may be lucky enough that someone without your attitude will stop and help you climb down off of your high horse.

rgallant

Adventurer
Boy-you just invited the bad karma.

I was sort of agreeing with you until this. I have seen portable welders save the day (including this past week) when frames crack, or mounts break or whatever. It does not mean there was abuse. Unpredictable things happen that you can't always prepare for, and a portable welder is just one more tool in the arsenal. Just because you have not seen the need yet, does not mean you won't need it. And when you do, I hope you will remember this post!

Just this past week on the Dusy, we used a welder to fix a FF rear axle that tore out it's mounting studs, and weld up a spring hanger that had cracked and was slowly tearing off the frame. 6 weeks ago on the Rubicon, there were similar issues including a cracked and flexing power steering pump mount on my own truck that was fixed in 5 minutes with a Ready Welder. The mount was solid before the trip and the truck had done that trail previously dozens of times.

Anyway, go ahead and laugh, but you may be lucky enough that someone without your attitude will stop and help you climb down off of your high horse.

I agree with bad karma thing, I think an onboard welder is overkill BUT I drive solo and as a result take a pretty conservative approach to obstacles. But if you prefer a more aggressive route, then I can see that welder coming in handy as you have indicated it did.
After all it only takes one hard drop on the right rock to ruin your day, and or break something critical. And I have ripped the plastic nuts holding on the rear bumper wing on my Pathfinder enough that carry 3 or 4 spares and the tools to replace them, something I never thought before it happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12