Oil pump / Oil Pump Belt tension Question

Androvers

Observer
Hello, so on my 94' 3.0 Liter my power steering oil pump pulley belt requires tightening and the two holes in the pulley that allow access to the bolts must be in the right spot to access them, what's the best way to line this up? Also there is a single wire coming off the side of the oil pump, anyone know what this does? Last question, there are supposed to be three bolts that need to be lossened to adjust the power steering oil pump and thus the tension on the belt, my pump is missing the bolt on the rear of the pump, any ideas as to the size/type of bolt I need to buy to replace the missing bolt? Thank you.

BOPOH

Explorer
Hi, just for my happiness please refer to this part as Power Steering Pump or just PS :)
To adjust tension on the belts you need to adjust tensioner pulley and not the pump itself. It is important to loosen tensioner pulley nut in the middle of the pulley before adjusting vertical bolt. One pulley's vertical adjustment bolt is accessible from the top and other is from the bottom. Usually they are rusted and it's better to take them apart clean and lubricate lightly, not required but other wise it's easy to damage accessory aluminum bracket - i've done that before, god knows how many mistakes i've made on my blown engine before i began reading FSM

Androvers

Observer
That is exactly how the other two belts were tightened, the alternator and the AC ones. The power steering pump however according to the factory service manual requires three bolts to be loosened and tightened in a particular order ( of which the rear bolt on the pump bracket is missing) before prying the pump itself over towards the passenger side. I was able to rotate the pulley to gain access to the two bolts on the front side through the pulley holes and tighten the belt to factory specs for a new belt. Still do not know what size and type of a bolt I need for the rear of the bracket or what the single wire coming off the passenger side of the pump is for, mine was disconnected. Can not find this info in the FSM.

BOPOH

Explorer
FSM page 82, that's a weird set up. I'm not sure sure if it's the same as mine but i believe it's 12mm same as the front 2

BEG

Adventurer
Is this what your pump setup looks like?:
b347b999906232782f21c1b4ae2897c9.png

If so, it looks like the rear bolt is the same as the front two (48959J). Mitsubishi part # MF241255, M8x25 bolt with washer.

BEG

Adventurer
Still do not know...what the single wire coming off the passenger side of the pump is for, mine was disconnected. Can not find this info in the FSM.

I believe it's to an RPM dependent valve that is supposed to firm up steering at higher speed. Look up part # MR272301. You'd have to check the wiring diagram to see where it leads.

Androvers

Observer
Is this what your pump setup looks like?:
b347b999906232782f21c1b4ae2897c9.png

If so, it looks like the rear bolt is the same as the front two (48959J). Mitsubishi part # MF241255, M8x25 bolt with washer.
Yes it is, and indeed a strange set up having to have the pulley in the exact spot to access the bolts. Where did you get this diagram from? The factory service manual I have from Mitsubishi Links is a scanned copy that is not searchable. I guess I should find a pdf version to download that can be searched or print out the 1000+ pages! Thanks so much for your help gentleman, I am learning all of this as I go and this is very helpful. Someday I will be able to read a wiring diagram!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

KyleT

Explorer
Use a socket and ratchet or bar on the crank bolt to rotate the engine to line up the bolts with the pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prescott

Observer
Honestly I just found it easier to replace the belt and cut the old one off. Made my life super simple and I got a new belt out of it.

My .02

And there is a third bolt. It was weird for me as well, as I loosened the 2 and it still wasnt budging. The one in the back though loosened everything up and it adjusted freely.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
The disconnected wire serves to tell the ECU that you are turning the wheel and increases the idle speed when you are moving the wheel when you are off the gas. I'd never heard of it firming up the steering when underway, however, but I suppose it's possible. That connector always seems to fall off, but it just plugs right back in and stays for a little while, anyway.

John B.

Androvers

Observer
Use a socket and ratchet or bar on the crank bolt to rotate the engine to line up the bolts with the pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, that's what I'll do when I adjust it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78