oil residue from AC air vent

newworld2004

Adventurer
I noticed some oil residue from AC air vent , also some time clear white color steam. any idea what that could be ?

thx

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
If it is your heater core leaking then yes it’s a big job.

I'd be more worried about how oil is getting into the coolant system. Because that means coolant is getting into the oil system, meaning potential engine failure.

New World - Check your oil. Is it milky or chocolate milk colored? Depending on the age it should be fresh clear oil (if just changed) or close to black. That's just to make sure you don't have a bad head gasket and oil/coolant are swapping.

newworld2004

Adventurer
I checked the oil constantly since I usually have to add to it. so I am not seeing milky or chocolate milk color. it is mostly close to black. I read some where it might be A/C refrigerant oil getting to vent if there is leak. I still trying to understand how this happens. please note if I don't have Fan on , when I come to stop I can see some white steam blowing of vent as well. I took some video to show white color steam , but it is hard to see it.

find below link not sure if it is related.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-130474.html

Last edited:

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
How long have you owned your truck? Any chance that there could be fluorescent dye in your a/c charge? If so, hit your vents with a UV light.......otherwise I think you could buy a sniffer or a shop could use one to search for a refrigerant leak.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I've actually just recently had this steam thing happen to me but in a Honda Accord. It was legit fog......I had the cold maxed out and high blower setting, and humidity was pretty high. It was fogging pretty good. When I raised the temp away from max cold, the fog stopped....I maxed it out again and the fog came back. I Googled it, apparently it can be something related to humidity and rapid cooling, basically making clouds. It doesn't smell. Now I didn't have any oil residue so yours is different in that way, but I've seen the fog / steam.

newworld2004

Adventurer
I've actually just recently had this steam thing happen to me but in a Honda Accord. It was legit fog......I had the cold maxed out and high blower setting, and humidity was pretty high. It was fogging pretty good. When I raised the temp away from max cold, the fog stopped....I maxed it out again and the fog came back. I Googled it, apparently it can be something related to humidity and rapid cooling, basically making clouds. It doesn't smell. Now I didn't have any oil residue so yours is different in that way, but I've seen the fog / steam.

Thx for info . If I dial temp away to hot then I don't see any fog mist coming out. It might be related to what you mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior