Oil weight... Should I be worried?

A3M0N

Observer
I'm out of town and my wife took my 4.0l Grand Cherokee into the dealer for the air bag and seat belt recall (all they did was put a band aid on the problem, another thread), and had the oil changed while she was there. They put 5W-20 in it while the owners manual recommends 10W-30. I called the dealership and they said that's the weight Jeep recommends now. Anyone heard of this? Should I be worried for our upcoming nearly 3000mi move?

Thanks!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Nothing to worry about. Quite a few manufacturers have changed their recommendations from 10/30 or 5/30 to 5/20 oil. Makes for high speed low drag reciprocating parts in the engine, in laymans terms they did it for emissions and fuel economy.

A3M0N

Observer
I had a nice conversation with the service department manager about it today. He told me when Pennzoil became Jeep's partner a few years ago they did some studies and changed the recommendations. They also claim that their oil is good for 6000 miles instead of the standard 3000. This is regular oil, not synthetic.

Last edited:

reece146

Automotive Artist
I wouldn't push the 4.0 out to 6000 mile changes. It is is an old tractor engine with some high tech doodads added to it. It needs to be changed more regularly. After 3000 miles the oil is pitch black on these engines. I realize that nowadays colour is not that great an indicator but I'd still stick with the old service intervals on these old fashioned engines.

I'd do short intervals with the 4.7 also... screens in the oil galleries... better keep that oil clean.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I am not a fan of 5-20 at all. Here at Ford we use semi-syn in all vehicles but the only reason the manufactures went to 5-20 is fuel economy, they do not care at all how long you engine lasts. We are seeing a lot of internal wear very early on. Manufactures are only in business for two things, car sales and part sales.

A3M0N

Observer
I plan to keep the 3000 mile change, 6000 miles makes me nervous.

Thanks FordGuy1, I'm worried about engine parts wearing out myself. I plan to drive this thing for a long time yet. My 5 y/o son has already said he wants it when he's old enough!

rkj__

Adventurer
FordGuy1;1527071only reason the manufactures went to 5-20 is fuel economy said:
Interesting comment.

I would be inclined to believe that manufacturers would be willing to trade some long term durability for increased fuel economy.

Would changing the oil weight actually yield a measurable change in fuel economy though? I know I can't detect any difference in my vehicle over the lifespan of the oil - no difference dirty vs clean.

reece146

Automotive Artist
I've heard good things about Rotella also. Supposed to have more Zinc and be better for older engines but potentially hard on cat converters. Anyone able to speak to that?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I've heard good things about Rotella also. Supposed to have more Zinc and be better for older engines but potentially hard on cat converters. Anyone able to speak to that?

There is a lot of people running Rotella and other oils designed for diesel with excellent results. I think the zinc and other additives they put in diesel oils and the 15-40 weight works very well in the 4.0L

rainstatebear

Adventurer
I am not a fan of 5-20 at all. Here at Ford we use semi-syn in all vehicles but the only reason the manufactures went to 5-20 is fuel economy, they do not care at all how long you engine lasts. We are seeing a lot of internal wear very early on. Manufactures are only in business for two things, car sales and part sales.

So do you use 5-20 semi syn or something else?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
So do you use 5-20 semi syn or something else?

We use what is recommended by the manufacture for the vehicle (sort of have too). Most of the new cars are using 5-20. I suggest to people I know or vehicles that are going to be used in a severe use situation to use 5-30. I have had many conversations with our race engine builder (Leon Patton) and he says the excuse that there designed for 5-20 is B.S, I agree, its only for fuel mileage not what protects the engine better.

rainstatebear

Adventurer
So full syn or semi? I have been using valvoline full syn but it has been using it a little more quickly than I like. No leaks or smoke. Changed the PCV out three times so thats not it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears