Ok, got my sights set for a 29er HT...

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Been in the mtn bike scene off and on for over 10 years. First (real) mtn bike was a Raleigh M400. Then in '98, bought a GF Big Sur w/ Judy XC's. Rode the crap out of them both. Then got a Specialized FSRxc about a year ago. My first FS bike. It is a nice ride, but I think I'm more of a hard tail guy. So, while I was calling around for a decent HT (loved my GF with the Genesis Geometry, but it was stolen...), a local bike shop mentioned 29ers. Did a little bit of research, and I'm really intrigued.

Since I've really had good experience with Gary Fisher, I am looking into getting the Cobia. The X-Caliber would be really nice, but I really don't want to spend the extra $500+ at this time. I think Cobia is dressed up decent enough for at least a season's worth of riding before needing some upgrades. I also looked at Specialized Rockhopper Disc 29, but liked the GF better. Also looked at some steel bikes, but none I really like in this price range. Plus, most were all single speeds, which I DEFINITELY cannot handle.

But, I am still looking for recommendations. The guy at the bike shop thinks that GF Cobia is the absolute best bike for me right now (which I am leaning towards, also), but I thought I'd ask you guys anyway. Reading a few past threads, seems like you guys know what you're talking about...for the most part. :luxhello:

BTW, most of the riding I do is XC style. There are a lot of technical trails around here with lots of fast singletracks.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
What is your weight/height and what size are you looking at? My impression is the GF are a good deal. Their frames for some reason are made awefully chincy but you get a lifetime warrantyy should it break. Definitely a good bang for the buck. I have a little time on the Genesis G2 Geometry and "it works" and in general the setup is all pretty good. I'd recommend it, hope it helps! Cheers, A

Cackalak Han

Explorer
dieselcruiserhead said:
What is your weight/height and what size are you looking at? My impression is the GF are a good deal. Their frames for some reason are made awefully chincy but you get a lifetime warrantyy should it break. Definitely a good bang for the buck. I have a little time on the Genesis G2 Geometry and "it works" and in general the setup is all pretty good. I'd recommend it, hope it helps! Cheers, A

I am 5' 11" @ 160lbs and 32" inseam. Was looking at a 18" frame. I just test rode a Cobia 29er and I don't know if it was just from riding on pavement, but didn't feel too much different from a 26" bike, except it took a little bit more grunt to turn the wheels. I really need to test one out on the trails. I will call around tomorrow to see if anyone has a demo I can take out.

I would like to build up a Vassago Bandersnatch, but that is $$$.

Thanks for the input.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I've never ridden a 29er, but a colleague (racer, 6'4", 175ish) traded his Specialized FSR xc for a Fisher X-Caliber (or Pro Caliber, the $1700 one) and absolutely loves it. Another friend bought a custom Titus 29er and has not ridden any of his FS bikes since and now is looking for a single speed or 1x9 29er to go with it.

1speed

Explorer
Are you looking for a complete bike or to build it up? I'm 6'3" and went to 29er's a little over a year ago. Best move I ever made. I ride mostly single track and do some occasional races, mostly 6 hour solo's. Do some research on Scott Quiring http://www.quiringcycles.net/ he builds custom frames. He also has an inexpensive line of "stock" frames here, http://qballbikes.com/ . I have two, one set up single speed and one with gears, both with White Bros magic 29 forks and love them. I have had a lot of very high end frames and I can tell you for $430 they are better than anything I have ever seen.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Those look great, good price too for domestically produced..! Only thing is they are a little heavy but not a big deal at all... But steel is nice :) I'd be happy to put together a reasonably priced package on a complete build if you decide to go custom...

At your weight the GF would be fine. I am 6'5 / 230 and was flexing mine around a bit but it still held up fine. But they are known for occasional break. Weight (for reference) was about 3.6lbs for the frame, if it helps (moderately flexy aluminum), but I have other aluminum frames that are much stronger, honestly not sure why the Fisher frames are a little chincy... The best about the GF is the package, the fork etc, all works out to be reasonably decent quality but the fork for example is very high quality... Definitely a good bang for buck...

I hope it helps...

Cackalak Han

Explorer
dieselcruiserhead said:
Those look great, good price too for domestically produced..! Only thing is they are a little heavy but not a big deal at all... But steel is nice :) I'd be happy to put together a reasonably priced package on a complete build if you decide to go custom...

What kind of a price range are we looking at for your build up? Also, which frame would you be using? I really liked my friend's GF HKEK back in the day when they made it out of 853 Reynolds. It rode real nice. Maybe I should go with steel. Anyway, let me know. Thanks for the input.

1speed - Thanks for the link. I've heard good things about qball bikes.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Probably around $900-$950 or so for a high quality Shimano XT build, Thomson seatpost etc (aka a relatively bling build) using BB7 disk brakes. It would include everything but the frame and fork. We also carry RockShox, Fox, White Brothers, then Manitou and then pretty much everyone else through our distributors... Cheers, Andre

Cackalak Han

Explorer
dieselcruiserhead said:
Probably around $900-$950 or so for a high quality Shimano XT build, Thomson seatpost etc (aka a relatively bling build) using BB7 disk brakes. It would include everything but the frame and fork. We also carry RockShox, Fox, White Brothers, then Manitou and then pretty much everyone else through our distributors... Cheers, Andre

Ok, what about more of a budget minded build? :p I am still unsure about the whole 29er thing, so I don't want to spend too much up front. The demo I took out was a single speed, and really wasn't a good fit for me, so that didn't help me at all. I think I have to get a properly fitted bike and ride it several times to actually get a feel for it (I'm a slow learner).

So what about a deore/LX build? With just decent, even used, parts? I will probably pick up either a Vassago Bandersnatch frame, Surly KM, or....?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Cool can certainly check that out.. If you could send me an email to andre at uintabicycles.com and I'll put together a list. I've actually been trying to get Vassago into the list here. We carry Gunnar, Viscious (dumb-expensive but really really nice) and Carver (pretty reasonable, Ti and Steel) in the hardtail line. Then VooDoo (also very reasonable) and a couple others... All make/specialize in 29ers.. Would be happy to hook it up :) Cheers, A

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Ok, with much research, test rides and such, I think I'm just going to get a complete bike. Building up would be sweet, but it just doesn't seem too cost effective. I was also set on going with steel, but after a ride on steel and aluminum, I really like the stiffness of the aluminum. The steel I rode was a Gunnar and the Alu was a Fisher. I really wish I had a Vassago, QBall, etc. to test out, but no one's got them in stock. Oh, well.

I was thinking about the Cobia again, but I think the extra cash for going with the X-Caliber would be well worth it. I was even thinking going with a Rig and converting it to 1x9.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Cool, awesome ken. I'm not sure if my co-worker ever got you the price on that build kit. Sorry for the delay if he didn't, I work 2 jobs (90% of the time I am here), I can BS on the internet but not much time for build kit quotes. Thanks though and enjoy! If there is anything I can do let me know any time... Cheers, Andre

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I never did hear from your co-worker. No biggie, though. I'm sure I will come to you for suggestions or expo discounted 29er parts :)D). I think another wheelset with road tires are first on the list.

EDIT: Just stumbled on mtbr. The "Gary Fisher" section seems to have quite a few people that have had cracked frames. Most say that they've gotten taken care of by GF, but some have had to wait a long time, as they are out of frames. Now, this has me thinking twice about GF. Seems you were right about the chincy frame material/quality, Andre.....

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Again depends on weight. I had one but it was flexy, that said it was a nice and light bike, also rode a lot softer than some of the ***-pounding aluminum frames I've ridden owned including my specialized single speed (that weighs about the same as the GF so not sure why they are so chincy). But even under my weight for the rides I had on it, it held up great. I'd say 8 or 9 out of 10 times you are fine, and they are life time, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. They are a nice bike. If you like the feel/weight/components etc then I would recommend it... Hope it helps!

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the GF X-Cal. But I want to wait till the 09's come on line. The LBS told me September?

Meanwhile, I bought a Klein Quantom Race two days ago and went for a ride yesterday. Never been on a road bike before (except for just around a parking lot). These things just GO! Gotta remember that I'm not on a mountain bike and can't go over ruts and bunny hop on 700x23 110psi tires w/ no suspension. :snorkel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman