Ok, the Ham is in...

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
ntsqd said:
When flying down a fire/washboard road I don't care what's happening on the radio. I've got my hands full and that's what co-dogs are for. :)

Exactly. If anything the mic will be in my hand or in my lap. That's it. Im not going to be looking down at the radio or at the GPS. I generally stop when i need to adjust something or configure something on the GPS. But like i said, i'll try the mounts out this weekend on a fire road with street pressure and report back. I'd be suprised if they bounced around, they seem too beefy to do that.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I've only had my RAM laptop mount for a couple of months, but I've already found that the mounting bolts, where the RAM attaches to the vehicle, need to be re-torqued after running over washboards. Like everything else, they'll vibrate loose in those conditions.

I also don't leave my laptop screen up when driving in the dirt, but rather I wait until I come to a stop when the dust has settled. The mount vibrates, but I believe that has more to do with the road and suspension than a weak mount.

Nice 2M set up Dave!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
kcowyo said:
I've only had my RAM laptop mount for a couple of months, but I've already found that the mounting bolts, where the RAM attaches to the vehicle, need to be re-torqued after running over washboards. Like everything else, they'll vibrate loose in those conditions.

Nice 2M set up Dave!

How does it do as far as bouncing around or wiggling?

Thanks!

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Pretty sure that SoCalFJ is running the 2" Ram Mount balls. I have my Toughbook on a 2" ball with no problems, unlike the regular 1" to 1.5" balls that could barely support the weight.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
The mount is solid but it does experience vibrations, not what I would call bouncing and wiggling.

On pavement it's fine, on washboards it vibrates, leaving me to believe that as strong and solid as it is, anything is going to vibrate. On flat graded dirt trails there is minimal if any vibration but it's impossible for a mount, or anything else in a vehicle, to not shake on washboards. Re-torquing the mounting bolts occasionally is key.

Keep in mind this is with a 36" telescoping pole, the shorter mounts you are using may not be subject to similar vibrations. And when I say shake and vibrate, it shakes like my Buddha belly does on the washboards. :D

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
kcowyo Gotcha, i appreciate the feedback.

Yeah it's the big 2" ball. The thing is overkill for a radio. It's supposed to be able to support up to 50lbs or something like that.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
articulate said:
Ah, good points. A flexible whip with the loading coil in the base would be better, yeah? The ever-so-popular Hustler SF-2 has its place on OHV rigs for this very reason.

The antenna can break down in any direction, just like Ed's. So i have it setup so it's forward/backward break. If i nail a tree limb it will just fold down.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Note that the ball on RAM mounts is intentionally made of rubber. So while they'll never be perfectly rigid (as if that's ever possible) they also will tend to be self-damping.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
SOCALFJ said:
What's your history with the RAM mounts?

Tried one on my dual sport for my tiny little eTrex, hated it, returned it. Bought a $12 handlebar mount that works perfect and has zero "Bouncing Around"

Tried their suction mount for the windshield on my 276c, kept falling off during temperature changes, yes i cleaned the windshield etc, sent it back.

With the suction mount, the base of the GPS had to be propped up by something or it would bounce ALL OVER THE PLACE! The large diameter suction cup had TONS of give in it! Poor design IMHO

Wont use another one, i think they are way overrated!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Boston Mangler said:
Tried their suction mount for the windshield on my 276c, kept falling off during temperature changes, yes i cleaned the windshield etc, sent it back.

With the suction mount, the base of the GPS had to be propped up by something or it would bounce ALL OVER THE PLACE! The large diameter suction cup had TONS of give in it! Poor design IMHO

Wont use another one, i think they are way overrated!

You can't compare a suction cup (no matter what size) to a steel arm that bolts into sheet metal dude!! There's no comparison.

A suction cup mount wouldn't even be able to hold my radio at all.

Anyways, i drove through Mexico tonight... ok, not really but a really bad part of Santa Ana and the roads where terrible. I did the speed limit which felt like i was doing a 100mph.. and the truck rattled like mad as always.. but the radio stayed fine in its place with no vibration or wobble to speak of. There's a small amount of wiggle plan in the arm that acts almost as a buffer for extreme conditions.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
SOCALFJ said:
You can't compare a suction cup (no matter what size) to a steel arm that bolts into sheet metal dude!! There's no comparison.

:D I know, just stating my experience!

SOCALFJ said:
There's a small amount of wiggle plan in the arm that acts almost as a buffer for extreme conditions.

I am willing to bet $1 that there is more then a small wiggle when hauling the mail down a fire road in mex! :D

The one that i used on my bike was a hard mount to the handle bars (no suction cup whatsoever) and there was WAY too much wiggle going on, so much to the point i couldnt even read it. I think the plastic was flexing or something.

Anyway, thats my experience, hopefully yours is better

cybercat

Adventurer
SOCALFJ said:
The antenna can break down in any direction, just like Ed's. So i have it setup so it's forward/backward break. If i nail a tree limb it will just fold down.

Does the antenna move or twist while driving on rough roads when its bent over.

taugust

Adventurer
With mine, it will swing around when folded over, due to cornering forces. Be Advised!!! These Diamond antennas are NOT designed to fold over on impact with a solid object. You must lift the antenna out of a socket (against spring tension) and manually fold over. I know from driving into the garage several times with the antenna up, that you will either bend it or break something, or both, on impact.

rionorte

Bringing back an old thread.

Dave, what model Ram mount did you use for the 2M and how did you attach it securely to the cubby hole in front of the arm rest? Did you just screw down to the plastic console of the FZJ80 or if you can give a little more info on how you secured it.

So how did it do on fireroads and washboards. Crazy vibrations? Currently I just have my 2800 on the passenger seat when in use.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998