Old Cherokee

ghcoe

Adventurer
Slowly getting this old Cherokee built up.

Attachments

• DSCF2547 small.jpg
    DSCF2547 small.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170426_175346.jpg
    20170426_175346.jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170506_103434s.jpg
    20170506_103434s.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 18

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Oh man this thing is gorgeous. Man that's a pretty truck. Started wading through your travel thread too, you've got super cool stuff out there!

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Thanks, I think the pictures make it look better than it does in person.

That may be, but I love the look of a well used truck. Don't get me wrong, I love a mint restoration as well as anyone, but with a 4x4 I'd be afraid to use it. Yours is the perfect amount of well used but not so beat to hell it looks like crap. I dig it.

ghcoe

Adventurer
That may be, but I love the look of a well used truck. Don't get me wrong, I love a mint restoration as well as anyone, but with a 4x4 I'd be afraid to use it. Yours is the perfect amount of well used but not so beat to hell it looks like crap. I dig it.
I agree with that. It is well used, but not beat, and is maintained.

ghcoe

Adventurer
Hey George, I thought you didn't want to put a lift on. I think it looks really good.

Mike

Yes it was as struggle to get to that point.
Two reasons that I did not want to put on a lift is that,
1. SJ Jeeps are great off road vehicles in that they flex so well from the factory. The main reason for this is that the springs are flat and are able to flex well up and down. This flex keeps the traction to the ground especially when you have open diffs.
2. SJ jeep ride is excellent off road. Nice and flexy also equals nice smooth ride on rough roads. Putting a arch in the spring usually reduces the flex and is stiffer to hold the arch.
You can do what they call a SOA (Spring Over Axle) conversion to the front axle and a SF (Shackle Flip) conversion to the rear springs perches. This keeps the springs flat, but also nets 6+ inches of lift which in my opinion needs at least a 35" tire to look right. 35" tires equals a visit to have the axle ratios changed. More expensive than I wanted to go.
On the Coyote Hole trip last year I managed to hit a rock on a, get this, smooth desert road! The rock flipped up and dented my rocker and bashed the rear flare back about 2". I decided after that trip to look at lifts more for clearance for added sliders than for just more height although that was a bonus too.
Not wanting to give up the ride and flex I went with this kit http://amzn.to/2q6yguP . This kit replaces the front springs, but adds a lift block in the rear. So I figured I would only loose some flex with only replacing the front springs. I now had 33" tires which will rub at full flex on stock springs. It turned out to be a great compromise for the combo of things. Still rides nice, clears 33" tires and still has great flex. I am totally happy with this upgrade.
Now to find some sliders.......

ghcoe

Adventurer
Yes, I have watched a big portion of your build too. I am on the other site as well. We should meet up on a trip sometime. I am not too awfully far from you. Maybe something South Central Oregon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998