Old Iron

Trail Talk

Found on the North Canol Road in Yukon Territory. Dozens of US Army trucks used for the construction of an oil pipeline during WWII and simply left behind after the project was completed. The service road has seen periodic maintenance whenever a resource company wants to use it for access and has been completely deactivated after the NWT border.

9A53C7CE-78BB-44BC-A806-1A45F5EE3119.jpeg

Alloy

Thanks for posting the pictures. Heavy packs with micro spikes on slush next to a crevasse is a good way to make the day more interesting.

I've found the MSR Youth snowshoes work great (weight/traction) with crapons/micro spikes in those consitions.

Trail Talk

Thanks for posting the pictures. Heavy packs with micro spikes on slush next to a crevasse is a good way to make the day more interesting.

I've found the MSR Youth snowshoes work great (weight/traction) with crapons/micro spikes in those consitions.

Thanks for the link, we have the grownup version. Not quite microspikes though, we were using instep crampons but the lack of front points limited our choices.

ITTOG

😂 I guess that underscores the power of the internet to bring people together and remind you that you aren’t alone!

This too shall pass. I’ve had a lot of really great 1-2 day trips this year, just not enough 2-3 week trips, and with 3 young kids in sports, I’m staring down the barrel of about 10 more years like this.
I hear you. Both my kids are in college now so the sports are over. I am transitioning to retirement soon and finding a new place to call home.

We went there (Canol Rd) with my U500 camper probably summer 2008. Got about 5km past NWT border before turning around. Used “donkey” (working) gears.
Was tagging along with a small group of Land Rovers from southern BC, they were trying to get all the way to Norman Wells by floating across Mackenzie R. with floats.
They also ended up turning around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan