Old Jayco- is it worth fixing?

RiverGypsy

I've been searching for campers for my T100 since the flippac I was going to buy got sold out from under me. I don't have much money so it needs to be cheap.

I saw this older pop-up Jayco yesterday and met up with the guy this morning to take a closer look. It's on a Chevy truck which is also for sale; the whole package is $800. He will sell the camper separate for $400, though im sure I could offer him $200 and he'd take it.

It is not a nice camper. It needs a good bleaching to get rid of the hantavirus on the inside.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The bad:

The roof leaks and has been patched with 2x4- and caulking (but still leaks).
The cabinets are in bad shape but I'd tear them all out anyway to lighten it up, then build my own simple storage boxes/benches on the inside.
As you can see, the aluminum on the outside is peeling away from the corners.

The good:

The canvas is in decent shape.
It comes with 4 working jacks.
The wood on the floor does not appear to be rotten.

Is this thing even worth trying to fix, or is it just going to be a money pit?

Edit: sorry the pictures are sideways. They are right side up on my ipad, so I'm not sure how to fix it.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
That's a tough one. I guess it depends on how much of a project you like. How much work it takes depends a lot on what you want to end up with.

I'm using a $500 camper that I really like. It didn't have roof leaks though and is generally better sorted than that one looks. These things tend to be more time-pits than money-pits, but that depends on what you're going for (materials, features, etc) and how much of it you do yourself. The softwall is probably the most expensive, single component so if you don't mind the torn screens and the rest of it keeps the weather out alright, the remainder of the camper is usually inexpensive (but maybe labor-intensive) to work on.

I wanted something really minimalistic, so most of my work involved taking things out, and the costs stayed pretty low. I left the softwall alone, torn screens, deteriorated clear panels and all.

I guess it depends on what kind of a vibe you get from it and how industrious you're feeling. When I first saw mine, I thought "yeah, I can work with this" and it kind'a gave me the warm fuzzies to work on and play around with. You don't want to end up with toxic, frustrating junk though that makes you wish you'd just gotten a tent.

Paul B.

Adventurer
This is a project, straight out. To do, or not to do? Depends on your skill level. Or your desire and ability to acquire the skills needed. Best of luck.

Scoutman

Explorer
Me personally I would walk away from that one. While just about any camper can be rebuilt to look like a million bucks, sometimes it seems to take that to get it there. I would take what you would pay for this, and what you think you would pour into this to make you happy and buy something in better shape with fewer repairs. If the surface of that one looks that bad, there's no telling what the core of it looks like.

On the other hand there are campers that look nice that turn out to be a wolf in sheeps' clothing.

Patience will pay off.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
I agree with a number of guys here. The roof looks bad and that will be a project. If that is what you are looking for more power to you.

I spent a year looking for my first rebuild and ended up with a skamper. Roof leaked a bit but was not like that. My 2nd rebuild, the FWC hawk was rough, but again not like that one.

Try and have a bit more patience and wait it out. Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears