Old Man Emu: Late model Frontier and Pathfinder

articulate

Expedition Leader
Pete posted the link to the latest ARB newsletter and I saw that there is an Old Man Emu suspension system available for the new Pathfinders and Frontiers: 2005+. For those familiar with Old Man Emu, you probably understand that it's not a mere lift. No, no! These suckers are beautiful systems, baby.
http://www.arb.com.au/News/International/arb_newsletter_october_2006.pdf

nissan_frontier_d40_2.jpg

As a Frontier owner (late model, D40 as they call it), it's nice to know that these vehicles are available to ARB and that this truck's config is suitable for "outback" travel. Here are some high points:
  • Fully boxed frame
  • Front coil over suspension (good-bye torsion bars!)
  • Strong and reliable V6 engine, with a drivetrain to match

I'll toot my own horn: everyone who has seen our truck has told me, "Hey, this thing's sweeter than I thought." Not that I'm anything of a brand lemming ( ;) ), but Nissan's are getting good use and attention Down Under - and for good reason.

So with that, I'd love it if the first OME suspension to land on U.S. shores for the D40 was mine. :)

:smiley_drive: Keep on!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
articulate said:

.....I'd love it if the first OME suspension to land on U.S. shores for the D40 was mine......

I'd like to see that too. I know some people with some power and connections, I'll put in a word for you. :box:

From the Aussie mag I read, ARB should be supporting the Frontier. (Frontier... What a great name for an expedition rig too. The name T100 blows) Nissan and Toyota are neck and neck in sales and popularity down there. And some of the set ups on those pages are unreal! With some of ARB's support plus some American ingenuity, there could be some really unique Nissan's here too.

Nope, no lemming you. The black sheep of ExPo maybe, but you sure ain't no nearsighted little rodent.

Nice pic too - :beer:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
If your serious about ordering a suspension setup.... LMK, I'll give it to you for dang near cost just to get it stateside for you :D

david despain

Adventurer
right on! am i correct that this is the first "major big time company" to offer a lift to the us market? i know there are the internet companies offering them, I am trying to save my coke cans to pay for a PRG lift as we speak, but i think this is the first for the big players. my only question is why such a small lift. 30mm is just a tad over 1 inch for the front. and why lift the rear more than the front? its already raked enough as it is. i guess once you put a load in it it will look and handle just fine but for around town its gonna make the butt even taller. i cant wait to see it installed mark. i guess that will make yet another installment to the 2006 expo project truck.

i too have had my share of people commenting on my truck in the last few weeks. and mines bone stock! i got mine just so i could be like mark.

Bergger

Explorer

As a Frontier owner (late model, D40 as they call it), it's nice to know that these vehicles are available to ARB and that this truck's config is suitable for "outback" travel. Here are some high points:
  • Fully boxed frame
  • Front coil over suspension (good-bye torsion bars!)
  • Strong and reliable V6 engine, with a drivetrain to match

I agree. During the time I spent at the Nissan dealership when buying my wifes 06' Xterra I was seriously considering trading in my 03' Tacoma Dbl cab for one. I was really impressed by the truck. In the end I just decided that I still like my Toyota too much and I've got too much $ invested in mods over the past few years. I could not afford to start over at this point. I guess I'll just have to start modding her Xterra.

Allahades

Hmm. I wonder if it'll be compatible with the Xterra-- a mild lift with less suspension sag in the rear under load is exactly what I'm looking for.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Bergger,

I looked seriously at the Nismo Frontier, but had a hard time getting my head around a pickup and losing the ability to carry long cargo. But it is a sweet truck and much lower priced than the yotas.

Bergger

Explorer
Allahades said:
Hmm. I wonder if it'll be compatible with the Xterra-- a mild lift with less suspension sag in the rear under load is exactly what I'm looking for.

While there are a lot of similarities between the Xterra and Frontier, fully boxed frame, 4.0 engine, interior, they are really two separate platforms. Thats why I've got a truck and the Xterra! :hehe: So far we've had the Xterra for a month and we love it. There are several mild lifts available for the Xterra right now. If you are only concerned about the rear suspension sag under load/bottoming out, consider these replacement bump stops from Timbren.

http://www.truckspring.com/timbren-r...rings_899.html

I've heard great things about them. I intend to get a pair. They supposedly stiffen the rear a little but improve overall handling and rear sag tremendously. If the wife does not like the feel of them for daily driving then I'll just install them when we tow the camper then remove them when done.

navara-au

Observer
Hi Mark
Your the first American that I have heard of knowing of OME let alone contemplating installing a kit.:Wow1:
I am no expert but here is my take on them. The set up for the Navara is very conservative. Since Hilux and Navara have become popular with the mums and dads as a family car and a weekend tourer (used to be mainly a work truck) they have become quite soft. OME have kept this in mind so they dont have much in the way of lift ( about 20 - 30mm) to maintain the "car like comfort"
If you were in Africa, Europe or Asia I would recommend OME because ARB is a world wide company now and OME are quite durable, and if you have problems you should be able to get help...relatively speaking.
In Australia we have lots of suspension manufactures and suppliers who specialize in Off road vehicles. Here some off the top of my head there is ARB, TJM, Tough Dog, EFS, Dobinsons, Iron Man, King Springs, Lovell.....there's more just cant think of them now.
I have EFS they have a similar set up as OME coil springs +shocks for the front, heavy duty rear spring pack with longer travel heavy duty shocks. The front was lifted 2" (I have a V6 and no bull bar) and the rear went up 3" unloaded (but most of the time Im carrying 600 kg's of weight for work and it sits about level)
Most of the better manufacturers will have 3 different load ratings on the front and rear, standard, med. duty and heavy duty.
As for ride mine is hard especially unladen, so I usually keep a bit of weight in the rear. I now of a bloke who has the med duty springs on the rear and bull bar/ winch on the front and he thinks the ride and handling is way better than standard. As for OME I only know of one bloke who has them on a Navara and he seemed happy enough if a little disappointed about the lack of lift.
There is a lot more info I could give you but my typing finger is tied.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
If you don't mind a Toyota guy sticking his nose in here.....

The OME title caught my eye. Just my 2 cents on this. I highly recommend the OME suspension. I have had it installed on my 4Runner for about 30K miles now and love how it performs both on and off road. I got about 2.5" front and 3" rear lift with it.

My set was originaly designed for the Prado which is similar to the 4Runner but marketed overseas. They have a light, medium, and heavy shock/spring selection to choose from based on your needs. I'm running the heavy up front due to my winch bumper and medium in the rear...works great for me.

If a kit for your Nissans come out, go for it! :)

Last edited:

navara-au

Observer
Is ARB and TJM very big in the states? e.g. do they have many stores?

I would have thought the 4 runner was the same as the Hilux?

Last edited:

detailbarn

Adventurer
navara-au said:
Is ARB and TJM very big in the states? e.g. do they have many stores?

I would have thought the 4 runner was the same as the Hilux?

independent 4x4 dealers carry ARB - no full blown ARB dealers, though I wish there was. And ARB is much bigger then TJM in the usa.

navara-au

Observer
detailbarn said:
independent 4x4 dealers carry ARB - no full blown ARB dealers, though I wish there was. And ARB is much bigger then TJM in the usa.

Thanks for that info
ARB are expanding all the time here and I wouldn't think it will be long before they have branches in the States.
The local ARB store to me is huge, having at lest 6 service bays in the workshop area + a large show room and would have around 30 staff.
TJM are about half the size but have the same amount of branches. There are some smaller more independent stores that sell other brands.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Another Toyota guy here... just FYI most (if not all) Land Cruiser guys have heard of OME/ARB in the states. I have a full OME setup on my FJ60 and loved it. I will eventually proabably go to one on the UZJ as well.
All of their products seem to be really high quality. I can't wait to see a suspension kit on the Frontier, as I am a closet (used to have a 300ZX) nissan fan, and i really like the new Frontier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle