"Old Man's Toy" offroad teardrop trailer

TheThom

Adventurer
Where in Colorado? What line of work are you in?

We have a rule here in Colorado.....if you come in from out of state, you have to bring your own job ;-)

I can PM you the details if you'd like. Job is in San Luis Valley. I was born in Montrose and lived there the first 12 years of my life. I think that makes me a Colorado citizen by birth. NO work visa needed. :)

old_man

Adventurer
I might be persuaded in fabbing up some for a reasonable price. You would be surprised how much the metal and acme thread rod and hardware adds up to for four big jacks. I figure that the materials only ran around $100 for the four jacks.

Last edited:

old_man

Adventurer
If you build some of these jacks, don't use the galvanized Unistrut. It welds like crap and gives off a nasty gas. Make sure and get the heavy gauge version. I would not recommend unistrut for the down leg. 1.5" square tubing will be stronger. Rather than using standard all thread, use acme thread rod and nuts. Acme thread is designed to handle loads without the threads binding up like a standard thread likes to do.

old_man

Adventurer
You're close enough, you should drop by and help. I can probably whip up some BBQ.

Last edited:

old_man

Adventurer
It looks like I might be able to get a job back in Colorado and finish off the trailer. It is killing me sitting here a thousand miles away and not being able to work on my project.

rocrunr

Adventurer
Well your off to a great start! Life always gets in the way of projects. Just keep picking away at it and I'll sit here and watch in amazement. lol

old_man

Adventurer
Life is getting back on track. Hope to be finished in a couple of weeks.

I got it skinned inside and the hole cut for the door.

DSC_0058_zps72807c52.jpg

I put 1" Styrofoam in all the walls.

0991a25f-a88c-4c56-a39f-4b06381fd4ef_zps3cd133ae.jpg

I have been skinning the trailer with 1/4" plywood.

634ee8e1-3b1f-4a81-aef9-d96f3fc73076_zpsb3d90778.jpg

70f64b96-561c-4e04-88b5-fb0fb4d9efd6_zpsc3f22ed2.jpg

Getting the plywood to wrap around the curves is a problem. I wet it down with soapy water for three days under tension. I even had to sand down the back to make it thinner so it would bend without cracking.

20141207_134823-Copy1_zps6221ffe5.jpg

I will be sheeting it with Filon starting tomorrow. I hope to have it pretty much finished off by Jan 5.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Heimz

Observer
Not sure if this was addressed yet, but I recommend that the airbags not be tee'd together. The air can swish back and forth between the airbags and cause stability issues. Basically, if you turn and the trailer weight shifts to one airbag, the air will rush out of the bag being compressed and send it to the other side, which will push up and compress the other airbag even more. Manually inflate each bag, or run dual "single valve" solenoids or a single "dual valve" solenoid.

old_man

Adventurer
Not sure if this was addressed yet, but I recommend that the airbags not be tee'd together. The air can swish back and forth between the airbags and cause stability issues. Basically, if you turn and the trailer weight shifts to one airbag, the air will rush out of the bag being compressed and send it to the other side, which will push up and compress the other airbag even more. Manually inflate each bag, or run dual "single valve" solenoids or a single "dual valve" solenoid.

You are right. I have dual Schrader's. I also have a balancing valve.

old_man

Adventurer
I have been looking for awnings for use with my teardrop. I ran across a pix I clipped some years ago but I can't find the manufacturer or supplier. Do any of you recognize this?

pix_3_zpsa11890d3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman