Old new truck...

wcdu

Observer
After a little research, there is nothing new on the market here in the USA that appeals to me. I am not really a gear head (if it doesn't go boom or bang, I know nothing about it) and rebuilding something is just not in the cards.

What I need, okay, want, is a "new" 1988 or older, 3/4 ton on better, 4x4. I would love updated suspensions that functions like new vehicles but could do without the complicated engines. I most definitely do not want XM radio, on-star, heated seats, front and rear air, built in GPS, etc.

Cruise control would be cool, but air conditioning is no big deal. Manual trans is good but auto is also. I would like the uphostelry in good shape but original anything is not an issue.

I am willing to pay for it, even a premium, that is also not an issue. I would think that all those custom shops that are all over sat & cable tv would have something.

Now that I think about it, I could do with an old CJ that wasn't beat to pieces and subsequenty modified by wanna-bees.

If you know of someone out there doing quality work, I would appreciate the referral.

Steve (aka:WCDU)

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Have you tried icon or that guy that rebuilds grand wagoneers. Do you need it now or can you wait a year? I can build what ever you want for a price.

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
Cool, but I'd re-think the Air Conditioner. I don't know where your from, but if you travel into the Southwest, Midwest or East Air Conditioning is a must.

wcdu

Observer
Technically, I live in the southwest, south central Colorado. I wouldn't be adverse to AC it is just that I really don't use it all that much and could live without it if, for example, it isn't available on something otherwise satisfactory. I would like a heater and I bet my bird dogs would like both.

Thanks ! That "bring a trailer" link is most interesting. I think I may check it out for awhile.

Finally, since dirtybakers has offered to step up to the plate, any suggestions or ideas? I get down to Paulden, AZ (n of Prescott) fairly regular and Mesa would not be difficult to add on. Normally, I would say there is no hurry. However with the economy the way it is, the state of the government, my retirement stash could dissolve even more. We could take this off-list if you want, but it may be interesting, for the time being, to have additional input from others.

Steve

greg mgm

Explorer
No, don't take this thread offline, it's a good idea.

Here's a thread you should check out-

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/56355-Recent-upgrades-to-33-year-old-GM-rig-NV4500-and-hydroboost-brakes?highlight=

The work Larry did to his truck is incredible, but I believe he did the work himself. You could buy an older truck and have it gone through like he did....sounds like what you're looking for. I had a 78 GMC 3/4 ton Sierra Classic and know how great they can be with a few upgrades. I'm sure with a bit of research you could find a shop to do the work.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Larrys truck is realy nice, really clean and really basic.
Here is a little bit about us:
I work at our family owned Heavy equipment Repair shop, we specialize in rebuilding diesel and industrial engines and components. We are not a high performance hot rod shop, we follow factory specs to the T. We have restored a few antique tractors and have put many hours into our own vehicles preparing them for off road adventures/camping and daily driving.
If you could name the vehicle you think would most suite your needs then I could start working on a price for a ground up restoration/recondition. Money is moving slow as you could imagine so to expidite the project it would be great if you could provide the vehicle and provide the parts and or pay for parts as we go.

Thanks Jesse Baker

dirty Bakers

Conservative
dreamtruck1.jpg

This is the truck I would build, but they are hard to find.

wcdu

Observer
Jesse,

Sounds good but I need to know what to look for. Currently I have a 05 GMC 3/4 ton duramax, sb, crew cab and a 09 Tahoe (wife's). I live at the end of a dirt road in a box canyon with acreage. I have a huge lance camper, a jumping jack tent trailer, a Kawa teryx, a Polaris ranger, two bird dogs, a 20' boat, a wife, and a partridge in a pear tree. I am a retired Marine and a retired cop. I hunt, I shoot, I do honey-do's, I consult on firearms & training.

I have had just about every vehicle you can think of and some you likely never new existed. I am thinking another truck that can handle a portable water tank w/ 450 gals of water in the bed and 4X4 is a must. My driveway is not for amatuers and 2' of snow is common with 6' snowfalls not out of the question.

I am thinking that a 3/4 ton, or better yet, a 1 ton, 4X4, extended cab (short hair pointers like their comfort) with 8' bed with power to spare to haul camper and one of the toys would free up the duramax for chores. Then I think something smaller, 4X4 of course, that can tow 5,000 lbs. I have a water trailer, a boat trailer, a tent trailer, a work trailer for hauling steel targets and a trailer for the UTE's. Then I could leave the Lance on the Duramax in the summer.

The Tahoe is a leather interior, XM radio, Sunday-go-to-meeting sort of thing that can freeway boogie to the daughter's place, or the east coast. Yes it tows the boat, and can tow any of the utility trailers. I just want to leave it that way and have something more rugged and utilitarian for my use to compliment the duramax.

I am sort of leaning towards gas instead of diesel because of the difference in price at the pump around here and maintanance costs. Altitude is an issue if carburated. I guess I should add that Trinidad is a small town and Pueblo, 90 miles away isn't all that big. There are more people in the Phoenix basin then there are in Colorado, Wyoming and likely New Mexico combined. You just can't go out and buy a set of tires or get this or that part.

Anyhow, just thinking out loud. Hope it makes sense.

Steve

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Another option is to find a mid-late 80's diesel Suburban or Blazer, they are hard to find in better than average condition but are reliable and average 18-22 mpg.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Sounds like you have the need for a utilitarian type vehicle. Just wondering are you trying to keep the mileage / wear and tare off the duramax? The eighites had some very basic vehicles with strong frames and terrible brakes especially dodge. The parts are cheap for eighties and older pickups. The engien didn't get good till 1997 except the 12 valve cummins. A ford with the 460 would be reliable and cheap to maintain but to operate it would empty my wallet. As for the power to spare while loaded you are going to need a turbo diesel for reliability and economy. I am very biased towards Fords so asking me for suggestions will lead to a Ford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78