RR1

Explorer

Nice!

Ever see this?

2008_special_construction_custom_ww_ii_dodge_power_wagon_m.jpg

wcdu

Observer
Jesse,

I have no particular brand loyalty. I don't suffer from any sort of marketing hype. The GMC has a short bed and the Lance camper would be a better fit in an 8' bed. The duramax had the turbo blow last month, $3,200.00 + with only 98,000 miles on the truck. Both rear axle seals have had to be replaced, the first requiring an entire rear wheel brake job. Something else involving oil in the front went out costing about 3 grand. Even after the turbo fix at a dealer in Santa Fe, I had to stop and get the coolant flushed and now I notice I have a leak from the oil pan.

I spent the longest week of my life riding in a F-250 hunting up in Wyoming. I swear I had more dental problems after that week then in my entire life. No Ford has ever made it to camp on the first try without stopping for something. You can get to our camp in a Prius. Well assuming it doesn't snow or rain hard.

My Fish & Game clients love the dodges as they are mostly broke and in the shop and they have more time with their families. We are talking government maintanence here and our tax dollars are no object.

I would put the duramax under the camper and leave it there if something else could fill my needs. My instincts are go big or stay at home. I don't have a daily driver. I only occasionaly go into town, say once a week. However, I do go hunting, fishing and boating whenever I can.

Currently I think I should buy a tractor or at least a back-hoe. I am keeping my eyes open for something for you to build. if you should stumble upon something, don't hesitate to pull my chain.

Thanks, Steve

rube bonet

Adventurer
you could always take a look at this http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...e-Diesel-Ultimate-NA-Expedition-Tow-Rig-15000

I know you said you had an aversion to dodges, but this truck has been made reliable, i used it for a lot of solo backcountry travel...

I also do alot of custom fabwork and building the exact kind of trucks you are talking about--older trucks (landcruisers/ chevys/ internationals/ willys/dodges) and repowering/ modernising.

I did all the recent fabwork on one you might have seen before:
IMG_8455resize.jpg

P101001325.jpg

Here is a 6bt Cummins powered 1988 Blazer I am currently working on:

P1010007-1.jpg

P9040135.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010006.jpg

build thread: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?16156-1988-Chevy-Blazer-K5-Cummins-6bt

My own M37 I drove about 100000 miles after rebuild:

P6220101.jpg

Basically, custom fab and making old trucks new again is what I do...

Rob Bonney

wcdu

Observer
Rob,

My bust, I didn't mean to come across as anti-anything, much less anti-dodge. My experiences are best put this way. Unless God starting making trucks and didn't tell me or somebody I know, anything can have problems, especially since men are involved. (I coin that phrase years and years ago but I was talking about guns.)

My experiences are that most trucks are the same. Dealer support is way more important than a badge on the grill. Okay, I'll be honest, I never even heard of a reliable Land Rover.

In fact if I was anywhere near Phoenix at the moment I would stop what I am doing and go look at your truck. I would bring cash, just in case. Unfortunately my schedule doesn't have me that way until October (bird hunting) at the earliest and maybe not until Dec (teaching at Gunsite).

You wouldn't have a good quail hunting place nearby, by chance? Finally, is that a Semper Fi sticker on the rear glass?

Steve

rube bonet

Adventurer
I agree, i have yet to find a truck from the manufacturer that didn't have pros and cons... that is why I like to build! No that is not a semper fi sticker on the back, but if you are a Marine, Oorah, and thank you for your service. (my grandfather tells me there is no such thing as a former Marine, once a Marine, alway a Marine).

As far as quail hunting goes, my backyard is an excellent spot! Actually, there are lots of good areas N of phoenix. If you are in town and want to see my truck, just let me know...

wcdu

Observer
I'll keep an eye out on the progress of your sale. If I get down that way, I'll try to swing by. I'll know if quail is in the works for early Oct by mid-Sept.

Yep, I am a retired Marine Sergeant's Major and thank you for your support. I would do it all again tomorrow. Pass on my greetings to your Grandfather.

Semper Fi, Steve

and repowering/ modernising.

You might add to your skills "mechanizing a vehicle." This is the act of taking out electronic devices and "certain things" like power windows, locks, and mirrors and replacing them with manual equipment. Also taking out an all-wheel-drive system and replacing it with a part-time 4WD system of the owner's choice (manual hubs or fully auto-locking stuff to lock the front axle when you merely pull up the transfer case lever to 4-hi or 4-lo) would be a skill to have as people scramble out of cars back into trucks or at least mechanize their expensive-to-fix cars. This is why I have gone to a Wrangler. It's the only modern vehicle out here in the US that can be bought largely manual. If I had money to spend, and Wranglers were, hypothetically speaking, only available with power everything, I would be paying YOU or somebody to mechanize it.

Think about it.

rube bonet

Adventurer
I agree. I was looking at fj80's and fj60 for my own build thread. I have dealt with alot of 80's and 4runners that have had annoying electrical issues (pwr everything). I was finally swayed after driving my dad's fj60, that is beaten to hell with 400000 miles on it, and memories of my bare bones 90 toy pu I abused. Both of them have been dented, rockcrawled and rattled down hundreds of thousands of offroad miles. Doors still shut perfectly (even the dented ones), windows still rolled up and down, seat sliders work, etc etc.

Compare that to my 99 chevy daily driver that has 75000 miiles on it. Pwr window regulator failed, tailgate latch has failed, seat slider assembly failed, injector failed, dash/odometer light has failed, fuel guage works occasionally.:rolleyes: And we felt it necessary to save GM???

My personal philosophy is KISS.

wcdu

Observer
I am glad you brought wranglers into the equation. I had a 85 cherokee with the in-line six. It was bullet proof but I had to give it back to the USMC when I retired. I also had a 98 wrangler sport with the same motor, rag top and windows. No air or cruise control and I thought it was excellent in all but one way. Unfortunately I was driving between Denver and Prescott on a regular basis and decided an Avalance would be better. Especially since I always had a half dozen guns with me. Even stopping for gas and taking a leak became a watchful proposition. I should have just kept the Wrangler but I was trying to not have too much extra stuff in my life.

The thought occurred to me that one of those late 90's rag tops with re-built motor might be the ticket for that extra vehicle. I would really like a bit more room for a couple of bird dogs. Perhaps the 4 door I see around (Unlimited?) would be better. Rubicon type adventures are not in the plans.

Is there a diesel transplant recommended for the Wrangler?

Steve

Steve, you might look at a Wrangler TJ Unlimited (LJ), with a 10" longer wheelbase and about 16" longer interior behind the rear seat. I have a 2005 LJ. You may want to consider the 2004 specifically because the Oil Pressure Drive Assembly (referred to as the distributor) is different on that model and doesn't have the same problems of premature wear or breakage (fortunately, my build date is outside the recall range and mine looks good so far) the '05-'06 models have. I love mine because it's manual windows, locks, and mirrors, and the transfer case is manual and not a push button. I love that I don't have to worry about these things going out like the electronic versions might. I'm told that the Unlimited models ride better than the standard models because of its extended wheelbase. I LOVE the way it rides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler#TJ_Wrangler_Unlimited

I'd like to know more about the diesel transplant option, as I intend to keep this Jeep for as long as possible.

Attachments

• jeep-front.jpg
    jeep-front.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 73
  • jeep-left-open.jpg
    jeep-left-open.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 89
  • jeep-rear-open.jpg
    jeep-rear-open.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 80

Forum statistics

Threads