Old school stove found . . . .

slowtwitch

Adventurer
These are pretty easy to find (gently) used. Is there a reason guys are buying the newer made in China stuff, over finding an old Coleman? Performance?

st

Tom and Elaine

Observer
Tried and True

I am constantly on the watch for stoves exactly like your find. I love ours and my camping family like theirs. Reliable and easy to fix. tom and elaine:chef:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
These are pretty easy to find (gently) used. Is there a reason guys are buying the newer made in China stuff, over finding an old Coleman? Performance?

st

Same reason folks buy every other kind of crap out there versus either new quality stuff or high quality used gear, price, and possibly ignorance to better options? I'm ok with that, more for me to find :D

I am constantly on the watch for stoves exactly like your find. I love ours and my camping family like theirs. Reliable and easy to fix. tom and elaine:chef:

They are getting harder to find. As many of us are prepping for the Relic Run this next week we have been scouring the local thrift stores, we are coming up bone dry on older camping gear. I used to tease that I couldn't go to our local Deseret Industries (big thrift store here in town) without finding a Coleman stove. We went to 4 this last week and nada :( Still plenty to be found, just not at the $3 price tag I'm used to :D

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Guess all the old camping stuff is up here in MT!

st

On Edit- Ebay is lousy with Coleman stoves for cheap.

Last edited:

JohnMcD348

Observer
I've got 2 of them that I use every time I go camping. One of them is at least 35 years old. My father got it as an award for safe man hours at the phosphate mine he worked at. I think the plate on it was awarded in 1973, I can't remember right now. The other one, I recently got from my FIL who said he didn't need it anymore. He bought it back when Donna blew through Pennsylvania, whatever year that was. I've run those tings on nearly anything that burned and that was before the "Dual Fuel" models came out. I've run it on Coleman fuel, Leaded and Unleaded fuel and some other stuff that was in a fuel can and smelled like fuel but apparently wasn't....

The newer ones just aren't quite built as good as they used to be. The seams on the joints don't look like they'd hold up as long as the older units have but time will tell.

Alchemyguy

Observer
I picked up a couple that look...experienced...a couple years back for $20. Gave one to a buddy and kept one. Use it every time and it works great and packs down nice and square for easy transport. I like it better than a propane stove.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Last summer at a yard sale I ran across a stack of stoves. There was a three burner Coleman, a two burner Coleman, and a two burner something else. I bought all three for $5 and they all work. Especially if it's a Coleman, it doesn't matter how old it is it will probably work, and if it doesn't you can still get parts.

I have more stoves/lanterns than I can use in three lifetimes, but I can't stop buying them. I can't help it. It's an addiction. How do you pass up a nice stove/lantern for less than $5? Last weekend I picked up a 70s single burner Coleman stove for $1.

-

tacolex

Observer
My mom was cleaning out her garage and I snagged up this little gem. I was looking for a date stamp but couldn't find it. I do have the operator and servicing manual. There was a date of 9-62 on the manual if that was indeed a date.

IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0613.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Last summer at a yard sale I ran across a stack of stoves. There was a three burner Coleman, a two burner Coleman, and a two burner something else. I bought all three for $5 and they all work. Especially if it's a Coleman, it doesn't matter how old it is it will probably work, and if it doesn't you can still get parts.

I have more stoves/lanterns than I can use in three lifetimes, but I can't stop buying them. I can't help it. It's an addiction. How do you pass up a nice stove/lantern for less than $5? Last weekend I picked up a 70s single burner Coleman stove for $1.

-

I'm the same way, it bugs my wife to no end!

BillTex

Adventurer
Old stoves

I have a very old white gas stove...not coleman...IIRC is is a marine/camping stove. I really don't have much interest in it and would like to see it go to someone who appreciates it more than I.
If anyone is interested, please PM me, I can send pics and details...

Bill

sewerdigger

Observer
Good stuff to here all of your stories of stoves from the past.

Checked the tabs under the tank, 969 is stamped there. Great.

The stove received a well earned overhaul to the pumping mechanism. That leather plunger was dry as a bone, lubed it up and works like a charm.

Thanks for sharing everyone,. . . maybe I should start a thread on the old Coleman ice chest that is residing next to the stove. . . .:)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I have a very old white gas stove...not coleman...IIRC is is a marine/camping stove. I really don't have much interest in it and would like to see it go to someone who appreciates it more than I.
If anyone is interested, please PM me, I can send pics and details...

Bill

PM Sent, it would be perfect on the Relic Run :cool:

skysix

Adventurer
Optimus 111

Still using two of the Optimus 111's I got from my dad - and remember camping with them in the 60's. they were old even back then! Never really warmed to the alcohol version in the foreground (sorry - bad pun!) but the other two have both the white gas and kersosene burners. Makes for a tight package when packed but can run on gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, naptha etc etc. Haven't tried with E85 yet...

Attachments

• 0711081748_01.jpg
    0711081748_01.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 19

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle