Old School Tire Thoughts - Power King

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
When I was working in Bolivia. We had 7.50 X 16 Goodyear mud and snow tires with the same tread. There never was much snow in the jungle but those tires chewed through the mud like nothing.
My assigned FJ60 with the Goodyear

1984FJ-60withBolivianCrusierChick.JPG

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
If it's a plow truck I would highly recommend good quality V bar tire chains. Tires are almost irrelevant with them.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
If it's a plow truck I would highly recommend good quality V bar tire chains. Tires are almost irrelevant with them.

I have chains but haven't ever needed them. The weight of the 55 and plow seem to work really well. Now, the times I've been stuck was due to driver error (snow filled ditch) and high centering the plow......but, a strap and Bubba usually gets us out.

DAE71C8D-0342-493F-A6C9-2543F86F82BE.jpeg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Thanks . 1989 Actually they are baggy jeans on Miss Bolivia. Parachute pants did not make to Bolivia quite yet.

Hammer Time babe.....Seriously, sounds like a hell of an adventure! Life must have been good. Be safe.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
In that picture where you're pulling the truck out, you would just drive out with chains. They're so nice on a plow truck, even just for traction and steering/stopping.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
In that picture where you're pulling the truck out, you would just drive out with chains. They're so nice on a plow truck, even just for traction and steering/stopping.

Thanks and agree chains do amazing things but, what you can't see in this situation is the plow sub-frame is high centered on a mound of frozen ice and dirt (plow rode up and over it due to it's solid structure) resulting in the front wheels just kinda dangling.......A little too much skinny pedal resulted in trenching into the snow and not being able to lift the front end off the frozen mound. Not saying chains wouldn't of helped but, being high centered is pretty tough on a drive train.
Generally speaking the old Working Pig does a heck of a job with our small snow flurries up here! Cheers and thanks for the advice. A0C94344-8C6A-4F5A-A77D-E0CA1E487C01.jpegFBE5E625-A940-42A9-A7D9-49378C66170B.jpeg

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Snow flurries. Hehe. Cloudy with a chance of 2' of snow is more like it lol.

I guess i'm a bit opinionated but I love chains when plowing. Drives me nuts when we get the first snowfall before I get around to chaining up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman