Old Suburbans

Zimnij Volk

Observer
Alrighty, so I'm really liking what I see with the 3in lift. It's exactly what I've been picturing in my head. I'll stick with the barn doors design, I just prefer it. 4x4 obviously. And I'll locate one that has the 350 TBI. I like the 6.2 alright, but my mechanic would never speak to me again. I'm a beginner at all this, but he knows all the ropes and is helping me out when I have questions. Well, and so is everyone here thus far. :elkgrin:

I am a little confused however. Does the 3/4 ton not have an OD tranny?

Gregz

Observer
My 98 has a 350 tbi, with the od tranny, and a factory locker, I paid 4200 for it and its a pretty clean reliable truck. but lifted with 33x12.5 im still only gettin about 10mpg, oh and its a 3/4 ton

Zimnij Volk

Observer
Well I've have a busy past few days locating and checking out some nearby Suburbans in the area. I found a few that are giving me trouble deciding on. I'd like to hear your guys' input on these ones:

- '89 Chevy 3/4 ton. 4x4, barn doors, all stock. $1500

- '90 Chevy Suburban, 1/2 ton. 4x4, barn doors, stock. Has 155,000 on it, broken cruise control, needs alignment, and the AC needs recharged. Looks nice and solid, albeit red inside and out. (Not so much for the all red interior. Ideas for how much new carpeting runs?) $2000

- '90 Chevy 1/2 ton. 4x4, barn doors, 3" lift, 32"s and .350 gears or so he says. The gears are a bit tall, and that worries me. $2000

- '90 Chevy 3/4 ton. 4x4, barn doors, stock. 77,000 original miles. It's right over here in Corvallis, but they want about $8000 for it. I know it's all original miles and everything, but that seems really high to me... Also walks horribly while driving...

Shoot them all down, I just want to make sure I'm not falling into a trap or anything. Always nice to hear some good input anyways. :elkgrin:

1leg

Explorer
Well I've have a busy past few days locating and checking out some nearby Suburbans in the area. I found a few that are giving me trouble deciding on. I'd like to hear your guys' input on these ones:

- '90 Chevy Suburban, 1/2 ton. 4x4, barn doors, stock. Has 155,000 on it, broken cruise control, needs alignment, and the AC needs recharged. Looks nice and solid, albeit red inside and out. (Not so much for the all red interior. Ideas for how much new carpeting runs?) $2000

- '90 Chevy 1/2 ton. 4x4, barn doors, 3" lift, 32"s and .350 gears or so he says. The gears are a bit tall, and that worries me. $2000

- '90 Chevy 3/4 ton. 4x4, barn doors, stock. 77,000 original miles. It's right over here in Corvallis, but they want about $8000 for it. I know it's all original miles and everything, but that seems really high to me... Also walks horribly while driving...

Shoot them all down, I just want to make sure I'm not falling into a trap or anything. Always nice to hear some good input anyways. :elkgrin:

I would pick one of the half tons or wait for a better deal.

350 gears are about normal for a half ton with an or trans. You'll. Upgrade to 411 when you swap in 3/4 ton adele anyways.

shovelbill

Observer
maybe that '90 has 3.42's........ 2.73, 3.08, 3.42 and 3.73 was what you could get for half ton in both 2 and 4 wheel drive, in those years. 3/4 ton had 4.10 and 4.56 as options.

Zimnij Volk

Observer
I thought that it sounded a little strange, but I wasn't sure. I thought I heard of 3.53 or something gears from something, but I don't remember where or when I heard it. It looks nice, and is pretty much set for me already.

Would 32's ruin the tranny for that gear set for in town? I'm assuming as long as I don't romp on it until I get the 3/4 driving gear I'll be ok. Could I be missing something?

shovelbill

Observer
I thought that it sounded a little strange, but I wasn't sure. I thought I heard of 3.53 or something gears from something, but I don't remember where or when I heard it. It looks nice, and is pretty much set for me already.

Would 32's ruin the tranny for that gear set for in town? I'm assuming as long as I don't romp on it until I get the 3/4 driving gear I'll be ok. Could I be missing something?

you won't ruin the tranny with that effective gear ratio, but who knows what shape the tranny is in now. check the fluid for sure. the '88-'93 700R's are the best years they built and stand up to more abuse than the previous generations. make sure it has an aux cooler and don't let it "hunt" between drive and overdrive.

if you plan on staying with that size tire or a 33, will be loaded and will go off road i'd choose 4.10's. a 30 spline front 10 bolt will hold 35's pretty well and a semi floating 14 is good for around 40" tires. pretty simple swap to get some beef. of course if you upgrade the shafts in the 10 you'll have more peace of mind about that too............selectable lockers?

a Suburban with 3" lift, 35's, a locker or two and 4.56's will get you most places you could want to go......then 1 tons from a CUCV would be your best and most cost effective option.....more work though. more weight too.

Last edited:

Little Red

Adventurer

I would go with the 89 ¾ ton or the 90 with 3” lift
($8000 is way to much, you could buy a diesel excursion for that money and the other 90, well I hate red interior plus it looks like that burban needs some work too)

Make sure to check underneath the car for rust, check all fluids, make sure to check the radiator, if the engine coolant looks oily or there is water in the oil walk away. Also check for leaks the intake manifold and oil sending unit are know to leak on the 350 engines.

If that all checks out good I think $1500 is good price for an 89 ¾ ton and if it is still stock you don’t have to worry about incorrectly installed items.

Just my 0.02 cents

shovelbill

Observer
on any truck you do look at make sure you check the chassis at the steering box. they have a tendancy to crack, sometimes an almost invisible hairline crack. move the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off and listen for clunks and check for worn out parts. check the body mounts.

if the '89 3/4 ton has 4.10's, that might warrant a more comprehensive look. that would be considered a great price in NYC if it just ran decent.

Zimnij Volk

Observer
I'll be sure to do that. I'm hoping to go an take a look at it tonight after work. I don't normally work the weekends, but they need a lot of stuff moved. We need the money, so that comes first. At least Eugene is only about 45 min away. Then of course the extra 15 or so of me getting lost... :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger