Old truck with like new Leer 43” tall cap with 63” interior height.

Mr.LouRead

I am preparing for a 4-month annual winter Florida expedition.

I paid just $225 for this custom cap that was over $700 new and was used haul an ATV.

I have already made a platform bed in the front with ample storage underneath.

Although my truck is 2wd it has a 4.10-limited slip rear axle.

Check back for updates.
IMG_20140418_165223.jpgIMG_20140410_132526.jpgIMG_20140418_165145.jpg

Lucky j

Explorer
Nice oven for Florida!

No, seriously, nice cap, but I think you need to install insolation and ventilation to keep a nice interior temperature.

Have a nice 4 months! wow!

Mr.LouRead

As soon as possible I plan on installing a vent w/light, fan, and electric opener with will be auto open and fan with a temperature-controlled switch.

One roll of Reflectix 4 ft. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation doubled up will act as a headliner and will be rated at R-7+.

I plan on buying two rolls ($80) and take the paneling down to add one layer of insulation between the ribs plus the rear door.

Last edited:

Mr.LouRead

For solar power my plan was buying a 20watt 30”x12” with controller for $70.

I am going to mount it using the harbor freight adjustable mount that is mounted vertically to the front of the Leer top that will also do double duty to help air flow over the cap at highway speed.

My plans are to mount a size 24 deep cycle sealed battery in a plastic box with lid that will sit to top of a wheel well with controller, fuse block and 12 volt outlets on the nearby wall.

Going to go 12vonly without a 110vac inverter. My electrical load consists of a netbook computer, 12v aa/aaa battery charger, fans, lights and a 12v electric blanket with auto 30 or 45 minute shut off.

Since I will be moving locations every 3-4 days I was going to use ice with an Igloo 3 gal industrial drinking cooler keeping my food in a Tupperware container and using the cold water as the ice melts to make a cold drink.

Last edited:

oldnslow

Observer
A 20W won't do much to keep your battery charged except while it is in storage. A group 24 battery will be about 80 amp-hours. You will need a 60W to 100W panel to keep it charged if you are using it every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78