Older 80 or Newer 80 ??????????????????????

dinobody

Observer
Looking to buy an 80. What are the differences between the older ones verus the newer ones? Mostly a driver some mild offroad.
Thanks for the help.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I think if you add a couple of more question marks you may get some more responses...:elkgrin:

brentbba

Explorer
Short version - 94 & older, no airbags. 95 newer, some tranny differences, some say better, others worse IIRC. Coin flip. OBDI '94 and prior, OBDII 95 and newer.

All of them brick outhouses of a truck! Yes, I'm biased as an original owner of a '94 with 236K on the odometer. Links you've been given to Slee and IH8MUD will give you more reading on these beasts than you'll be able to digest in a week! Have fun!!

NM-Frontier

Explorer
As with most any older vehicles the last production year is usually the "best". Generally the manufacturer has weeded out any issues and often upgraded components to the then modern standards. This is certainty true with the 80. A more refined engine(1FZ vs 3FE used in 91-92),OBDII,sorted out head gasket, better braking (four wheel disc brakes) and factory diff locks are just the highlights of the 95+ 80. The Slee Guide is great, study it be for you go shopping. Mud is also great, you'll get lost in all the excellent info, but be careful not to get sucked in to the "horror stories" that can get popular on there.

These are superb trucks but they are getting old, so make sure to budget some extra cash for some needed maintenance right off the bat. But at the same time if you find one with good records I wouldn't let high mileage scare me off. And remember these trucks were built with robustness in mind, not the US's interstate highway system, they are big, heavy and, slow, but they last for ever and can take you around the world right off the show room floor.

Keep these things in mind and you will be off to happy 80 ownership!:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78