Older USGS Maps available

I've recently come across a source of older maps made by the USGS. Many are in good to excellent condition. There are states quadrangle maps mostly from the eastern USA and some central states. Many National Park and National Forest maps. Hydrologic Maps, Earthquake and Seismic Zone maps, Nautical Charts and Satilite imagery of whole states. Some of the maps are quite large up to 4 X 6'. I have a list of some of the maps I found picking through the cabinets and map cases. There are more there and I just wanted to see if there was interest. Some are very reasonably priced. Last year I found a 4x6' map of the Grand Canyon. Some of them are in rolls and some are folded. Here are some of what I have located. I can inventory the list later as there are way many more than I have currently. He told me these maps aren't printed anymore in that they're on 100% rag paper and offset printed? Most of the dates are from the 1960's - 1970's.

I've decided to sell them for $25 each except for the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, and one or two of the other really big ones. If you buy two or more, I'll pass them on to you for $20each. That will basically cover my cost of the map, my time driving over there, digging through the unorganized drawers, file cabinets etc and driving back, taking pictures measurements, posting, etc. Plus it keeps the cost relatively low for the people here whom share my same appreciation for overlanding. Folded maps S&H will be cheaper for me, as I can put them in a padded Manila envelope, so I won't charge for shipping on single order folded maps. Rolled maps will require a shipping tube so the cost will be a little higher. I don't have or do Paypal so a postal money order would be fine. Send me a PM for my address. My shipping area is 28701.

There aren't a whole lot of these left, and some only one, Olympic NP and Big Bend NP have about 8-10 more available. I'm keeping a few for my own enjoyment and to share with friends and family, but the few extra I have and the few more left over at the storage place are all that is left from this source.
Thanks, Dan

PM me your email and I can email pix to you if you cannot view them at american adventurist.

I've got a thread with lists and pictures already going over at http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/showthread.php?2271-Interest-in-older-USGS-Maps

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that there are lots of geology maps too and many copies of the others. Apparently they used to have a cartography business, and now just want to clear out storage. I'm having a slow time downloading photos so here's a basic list so far.
The Badlands map is 2' X 3.5' rolled map

Mt Rainier NP Wash scale 1-50-000 1971 topo map 3x2' folded map

Petrified Forest scale 1-50-000 1988 3.5x2' folded map

North Cascades 1-100-000 1974 mint cond and unfolded in original plastic bag 39" X 39" folded map

Mt Rushmore Quadrangle with Custer State Park in middle 1-100-000 1977 folded map

Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP's and Vicinity Calif 1:125000 1996 28 X 40" folded map

Rocky Mountain NP Colo. 1-62-500 1961 28"X38" rolled map

Crater Lake NP and Vicinity 1-62-500 1988 2' x 3' folded map

Olympic NP and Vicinity 1-100-000 1987 54.5" X 37" folded map
There are more but I need a break...

Another type of Arches NP map same size as the other. But with contour lines and topographic imagery.
There are a couple of Lassen Volcanic NP maps of both types 1957

Bryce Canyon NP BIG MAP

A rolled version of Crater Lake NP different from the 1 already listed

A decade comparative map showing the receding Grinell Glacier up at Logan's Pass Glacier NP 1950-1960 in topo form

Yosemite Valley showing contour lines and land imagery cool maps with geologic history on backside.

a 4' X 4.5' topo map of Mesa Verde NP

Death Valley NM 1977 2' X 3'3" topo

Hydrologic Unit Map state of North Carolina shows all water ways.

Two huge satellite image photos showing entire state of Colorado in both grey and earth tone elevation and contour (without the lines) format

Geologic map of Glacier NP

I have more stashed somewhere and I gave my buddies in Colorado a bunch to hang in their hangar.

I've tried to upload pics here on expo and on wanderthewest and it always seems to fail, but for some reason I can upload them to americanadventurist.

For California, I have the;

Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP's Map

Death Valley NM which is 24" X 39" 1972 revised 1977 1:250,000 rolled map mint will post a pic today.

Map of Yosemite Valley 19" X 42" 1958 1:24 000 2 available rolled map two available
plus a
Shaded Relief Map of Yosemite Valley with the Story of the Yosemite Valley covering the back. Same size as above. Make a nice set. Good cond. rolled map One available

a rough condition Yosemite NP and Vicinity folded map 31 1/2" X 30" folded 1958 1:25 000 bottom right side damaged, bottom corner dirty. Rest of map in good condition.

A really big Earthquakes in California and Nevada colored and contoured Relief Map
41" X 53 1/2" 1994 right side of map in white border had folded wrinkles top right corner has 3" tear but in border area.

There are probably more for California at the storage place, I will look again next Saturday. Dan

Dangler

I would be interested in the Yellowstone and Glacier maps, depending on what they look like and the cost. I tried to jump out to the site listed by it requires me to register....not really interested in that.

Email me? brettanderson701 AT yahoo DOT com??

I'm sorry to have put everyone interested on hold for a little bit. I've been dealing with a reoccurring illness which has been all too often debilitating. Thank you for your patience. Dan

I still have all of these maps and a few more and I will be brining them to the Expo in May. If anyone is still interested. I had a serious 4 month bout of illness due to food allergies and this all fell to the wayside. This way if you come to the expo you can see them 1st hand. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78