Old's Cool

Crenshaw

Adventurer
The straps are just looped around the tailgate- I think that's a pretty common setup when you don't have a spare on the back. I love that thing- perfect beer can receptacle and I pull it of to hit the river for the rest of our trash on multi day trips.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Howdy y'all, I'm a broke college kid from the great state of NC. I guess you could say I fit into this lifestyle, cause right now I got time and no money. If it floats, has wheels or goes boom I'm prolly interested. I'm over on the Jeep side mostly, I've got a thread I put things on occasionally, come give a holler if ya like.

Its no yota, but if a couple Nissans snuck in what harms a little domestic presence gonna cause? Reminiscin' on the brief period of time dirtbaggin' in my brother's El Camino. I can't stay outta the dirt, and I prolly shouldn't've taken that thing a few places I did, but man I love that car. I want one big time, such a riot to drive anywhere, and you can't go anywhere without someone sayin' somethin.
20170218_164406.jpg 20170218_164343.jpg
20170224_154947.jpg

My daily and everything rig is a Jeep, I love that thing to death. Been in the family since new, 17 years young. The Camino and our CJ5 have me dreaming of something older though, I dream of cheap old Wagoneers, full size Cherokees, FJ60s or a 3 door 'burb.

My baby:
20161006_093629.jpg received_10207673426304017.jpeg

Ol' Orange:
20160903_135749.jpg

For the Toyota fanboys. This was my buddy's truck back in high school, who sold it to another buddy who gave it the attention it needed but never got and got her fixed up. That's not to say he doesn't use it, it might have even been airborne.....
20150615_115401.jpg 20161218_140952.jpg20161218_153133.jpg

Sweet thread y'all got over here, keep doin whatcha do, however poorly that may be.

kdeleon

Observer
I rock E30 myself and hope to keep it going till my two brats are old enough to drive. They keeping it clean till that time comes.

268beab13757c46813b4ddfe0c16a8de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha!! I love how e30 have infiltrated this entire thread. Kdeleon I had an 87 325e in Stillwater years ago. I'm in Cali now w an 88 supereta fully swapped to "I".

Don't steer for me. Don't tell me there's a car next to me. Don't stop for me. Don't control my oversteer. Don't control how fast I descend a hill or what tire gets power goin uphill. Don't cut out cylinders so I get bettter mileage. Don't shift for me. Don't listen to yaw, pitch, roll, throttle angle, steering angle, multiple wheel speed sensors, xxxx input sensors. Don't limit the amount of torque and hp available on my "launch".

Let me sideswipe the guy next to me. Let rear end the car in front of me. Let me powerslide off the road. Let me slip and skid and slide down the hill. Let spin tires, burn rubber and break junk uphill. Let me get a bad 100ft time cuz I laid rubber instead actually hauling can.

Let me drive.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Ha!! I love how e30 have infiltrated this entire thread. Kdeleon I had an 87 325e in Stillwater years ago. I'm in Cali now w an 88 supereta fully swapped to "I".

Don't steer for me. Don't tell me there's a car next to me. Don't stop for me. Don't control my oversteer. Don't control how fast I descend a hill or what tire gets power goin uphill. Don't cut out cylinders so I get bettter mileage. Don't shift for me. Don't listen to yaw, pitch, roll, throttle angle, steering angle, multiple wheel speed sensors, xxxx input sensors. Don't limit the amount of torque and hp available on my "launch".

Let me sideswipe the guy next to me. Let rear end the car in front of me. Let me powerslide off the road. Let me slip and skid and slide down the hill. Let spin tires, burn rubber and break junk uphill. Let me get a bad 100ft time cuz I laid rubber instead actually hauling can.

Let me drive.

Preach it. Stupid nanny state ruining cars.....get off me. Don't tell me how to drive, and don't tell me what to drive. If I wanna drive something unsafe let me, and if I'm not as good as tecnology so be it. What turns me off from new cars is they're all just appliances. Nothing has any personality or character. Cars shouldn't but perfect, that's why we love them.

owyheerat

Adventurer

Let me drive.

Amen!!! I couldn't agree more. For those that need all the 'nannies' in their new car, they should just call Uber.

owyheerat

Adventurer
I love seeing the vintage trucks on the road and especially in the back-country. It's probably why I've been preserving a sub-100k-mile 1997 5-spd 4runner SR5 for the last 7 years. It was a cherry when I picked it up in 2010-ish, and been in storage for the most part since then. I take it out periodically to maintain it, drive it, or just fiddle with it. I hope it can one day be one of those really clean 30+yr old trucks that I enjoy seeing now. In an age of progressively more complex, complicated and DIY-unfriendly vehicles, it feels rewarding to be keeping an old-school truck for future enjoyment. Friends and acquaintances have attempted to talk me out of it with some very tempting financial offers, but I'm pretty sentimental about it and really want to drive it through the Americas some day.
IMG_20170111_162242_228_zpsqnkmpvxr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Good for you. That is a REALLY clean looking 4runner...love it!

Crenshaw

Adventurer
One last e30 hijack...love the comments about driving aids and safety features. We don't need no stinking airbags!
a63320b76403ecc408c813023b956b8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Yep it's definitely my location. Well, definitely partly anyway. I'm in southeast VA, on the beach, so most of what I've seen pop up have been modded into sand toys or hunting rigs and that one stock '87 that popped up locally was admittedly a unicorn no matter where it was located. I've found a few sub 200K 22re trucks pop up on Autotrader recently and I've expanded to include older 4 cyl Tacos. Once my Cruiser finds a home I'll be on the hunt more so I don't have to use spare funds to purchase, unless I find a cheap one. I've seen a bunch in Oregon and Washington on CL and eBay, it's like they all migrated out there together!

Times sure have changed, 25 years ago when I lived in PA..tried selling the 85 4Runner at the time, absolutely no interest...it was up for sale for 3 months, no offers, nothing...ended up keeping it, moved to AZ with it, drove it for a couple years there...put it up for sale to buy a '92 Pickup...gone in 2 days.

With my 99 Tacoma I have people asking to buy it every couple months. I'll be outside mowing the front lawn, dudes will stop..."Hey man, do want to sell that?" Same thing when I had my VW Westy.

Clutch

<---Pass
It's definitely an anomaly but great for anyone unloading an old Tacoma or older pickup. I wish LCs held their value as well! I decided this morning that, after hearing so many people tell me to consider one, I should look at 3rd get 4Runners. Gave it a go on Autotrader and there's an '01 sitting on a dealer outlet lot (due to age) it's got 140K on it, clean carfax, local all it's life, dealer serviced and one owner for $6,500. If that were an '01 Taco I don't want to know what they'd ask...I'm seriously considering dropping by this afternoon.

Would of thought LC's held their value...guess I don't pay attention too much, since I don't really care for SUV's. Though a manual trans 4Runner would be a nice compliment to my Tacoma. We do have a Trooper...which I find it "ok"...but it is an auto, don't really care for autos...we put a whole 900 miles on it last year and 24K on my truck. That is how much I like driving autos.

Clutch

<---Pass
Ditto. I prefer a pickup. Not only a pickup but regular cab. Drove my last one for about 8 years before getting a camper van then the cruiser. Fingers crossed I'll pop back into one soon.

Think I had my '92 pickup for 6 years, then traded up to the extra cab Tacoma, as much as I like the look of RC's...love the extra cab for storing a bunch of crap behind the seat...that and I tend to go to the park on lunch to take a nap. Like to recline the seat, and catch some zzz's.... :sombrero: Though it doesn't beat the Westy for afternoon snoozes...

15590097_10154894208014630_8504405929965624505_n.jpg

Really miss my Westy, always wished Toyota would of imported the HiAce.

Think I need to toss a "Westfalia" sticker on my Wildernest to pay homage to the old bus.

11209654_10153301353499630_1163162336076755887_n.jpg

Westy prices are just flat out dumb...anymores...drove past a lot that had a bay on it, sure it was cherry...but they wanted $30K!!! for it...thirty fricken thousand dollars for a bay!!?? just dumb, I like them, don't like that that much though....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior