OliverLoves 2001 Tacoma build

oliverlove

Adventurer
Well, the more and more I troll the boards, I feel its time to post one of these. I tried a few months back, and hated it so I promptly sent it to internet heaven.

Starts out with a 2001 2.7l auto with 80k miles.

Step 1 - Brand New(to me) Paid too much.

s7300597q.jpg

The Cap was an add on a few weeks after the purchase. I was silly enough to think I could re-build the BajaTaco.

Step 2 - TacomaWorld won....
s7300618w.jpg

I tried to color match the Hella light covers...It was a dark time...

Step 3 - Wanted to keep up with my friends in their Land Rovers, and had some difficulty with stock tire pressure on warn street tires.

Although I didn't do as bad as the Series Rover.

Step 4 - Moved to Texas. I refused to listen to the Uhaul people and filled my truck with stuff on the trailer. I proceeded to blow out both the rear shocks.

Fast forward to June 2011. I found a great deal on a RTT on craigslist and had to jump. So I hopped on here and found what looked to be the simplest way to mount the tent over the bed.

I drove back to N.E. with no shocks, and besides the serious safety factor, I felt no real ill affects. It was a long summer bumping around the North with the Fiancee and the dog. I quickly realized if I was going to work on the truck it was time.

First to fix the rust under the bed. A few too many years in N.E. was killing the truck.
rust1c.jpg

rust2v.jpg

rust3h.jpg

Not sure what it is... But something doesn't look right...

Step 5 - Hook the Wife - We took a week long trip out to Big Bend, TX and had a blast on the back roads, and trails. The RTT worked great but we needed to modify just about everything else.
img0284w.jpg

img0303vu.jpg

Step 6 - Sierra Expeditions Free Shipping!!!!! WOOHOO!! This was the kick in the pants I needed, and with my wedding over, I had a little extra. A ARB, a snorkel, and a new OME suspension arrived.

40956252754682576399200.jpg

Drilled a massive hole in my truck, and actually the scary part is drilling the A pillar. There is no going back after you do that.
img3027e.jpg

Step 7 - Not kill myself trying to install the ARB - This was the biggest pain in the Butt!! Not sure if I was drunk, but it took me days to figure out the directions. Poor Will at SE was getting sick of me calling.

I do love the strange tab for more lights!

oh that's right, those crazy guys on the wrong side of the world put antenna's there.

Still to come -
Currently Building storage for scepter cans.

I love the AT units, but the Banker(wife) won't approve the funds.

Laptop Mount (parts ordered)
Wire in Dual Battery (parts ordered)
Install Molle Panels on rear of cabin for storage
Wire up Winch
Wire in 12 voltguy winch panel

Thats all for now!

We have a large trip coming up in a few weeks, and I need to get working!

oliverlove

Adventurer
New shackles are here!!!

They are a bit big though, I purchased them off what they can handle force wise, these will have to travel in the cab unless I need them. They look too easy to steal.

Danimal

Adventurer
Love the truck, great build thus far.

I tightened my shackles on my ARB with a pair of Channellocks, so a crook would have to be similarly equipped. I think your average shackle stealer is a casual one, and the need for tools will make them look elsewhere.

Dan

oliverlove

Adventurer
Todays progress - Installed the Jeniko laptop mount. It is the SUV universal that they sell.

Instead of using the 4 self tapping screws they supply I used some of the extra's from ARB, and bolted it in.

laptop3lg.jpg

With the laptop.
laptop2o.jpg

Not too sure how well its going to hold up. It wiggles now just sitting in the driveway, I'm sure while bumping around its going to really move.

I used some big washers on the underside to try and create more surface area for it to use, but some reinforcement might be required.

Now - Beer.

oliverlove

Adventurer
Next project, how do I get my GPS puck wire inside the cab without creating a leak in the weatherstripping?! :snorkel:

oliverlove

Adventurer
Jerrycan holder number one installed! It has 4 bolts through the floor of the bed, and a L bracket holding it to the side of the bed. It seems pretty sturdy, but we'll see long term.

Now, what do you guys suggest to hold the can in the box? I was thinking drill 2 holes and run a strap through the handle, but I'm sure there is a better way.

I also go some Cali mudflaps installed. Down here in Tejas, we aren't required to use Mudflaps. But since this summer we will be out that way, I figure better safe than paying a ticket.
mudflapb.jpg

I have had to pull my bed rack off and clean and re-paint the whole thing. The shop that I bought it from built a great rack, but rushed the paint. It was rusting through in less than a month.

rackt.jpg

oliverlove

Adventurer
Ok guys, looking for a little help. I am trying to save some cash while adding a second battery to the truck. I would love to add the second next to the first, but I just don't see the room!

bat2o.jpg

I turned my existing battery sideways to see if another would fit(moved the overflow bottle) and it doesn't look like it. I would like to keep my starter battery, instead of buying two new.

bat1a.jpg

Next option, mount it on the left, and mount the winch controller near the starting battery.

The solenoid will go on the firewall near the 2nd battery.

Oh ya, as it says on the 'Cheep dual battery setup' thread...

Drink a BEER!!!

Last edited:

oliverlove

Adventurer
Finally completed stage one of the water containers.

bed1t.jpg

They were angled on purpose so the cans can slide out without hitting the sides of the bed.

bed2s.jpg

Not sure if these will hold them in place... Only one way to find out!

bed3c.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears