OME Strut Assembly

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I took my struts to a shop to have them assembled yesterday and these clowns couldn't do it. They had a wall compressor but couldn't get it put together correctly. They didn't put the bushing on the top because they couldn't get the spring compressed enough and they also didn't install the retaining washer on the bottom of the top plate.

I can put the top bushing on during install but what about not having the lower retaining washer? What kind of trouble am I asking for?

Here are the instructions, the washer circled in red isn't installed. The top plates came with a Moog bushing attached to the top of the mounting plate. Is the washers only job to keep the bushing at the top?

instructions.jpg

Here are some of the assembled struts:

IMG_20140619_083655.jpg

IMG_20140619_083714.jpg

IMG_20140619_083659.jpg

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You didn't actually pay them for the work did you? I have assembled a few struts over the years simply using the strut compressor you can rent from most auto parts stores.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
No, after talking with Toytec and some people on TS I think I'm just going to use this method and properly assemble them myself. Can't trust anyone anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E6u7dC7EHg

*Based on comments here and on TS I called around and found a fab shop that said they would be able to do it on Monday. I'll update once they're reassembled.

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Sorry to hear about the poor workmanship.
You are right to tackle this project on your own so it's done correctly.
As other have stated, rent/borrow a set of spring compressors and do the job yourself.
Just take your time when compressing the spring.
Using an impact driver a bit on each side...evenly compress the spring on both sides until in fits in the space.
Remember to raise the a-arm with a jack to meet the compressed spring and check the seating of the spring before releasing the spring compressors.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Take it apart and assemble correctly. The dust shield should be snug against the bottom washer and bushing.

the_dealer

Observer
The shop that did my OME 926/bilstein on my kj screwed up the install on mine as well. They didn't seat the coil in one of the lower isolators correctly, didn't torque the upper nut correctly, and left off one of the upper washers. I tried to watch them during assembly, but they gave me that "due to insurance regulations..." crap. Some people are idiots. Hope u get it worked out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12