OME vs ICON / Radflo

shack

Adventurer
Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

I posed this question over on the FJ Cruiser blue room and got some responses, and now I've decided to ask it here to see what you guys think

I have an 08 FJ that I want to build up expedition style. Currently I have a 3" RC lift and 285/70/17 MT's. I've got an ARB / XRC8 combo that I'm waiting to put on because I know the RC lift isn't going to cut it. So, I've been shopping around for lifts and originally had settled on an OME heavy set up. Then I started looking at the ICON stage one and the Radflo 2" setup.

I constantly go back and forth as to which set up is going to work the best for my needs and which will be the most cost effective in the long run.

I like the OME's because they are half the price and a lot of guys run them with no problems. I'm worried that the ride will be a bit too harsh.

I like the ICON's because I like the idea of adjustability, though I can't see adding much more weight up front. Same for the Radflo's. I'm a bit worried that once they get all muddy/dirty, how much of a pain they be to adjust. I'm also worried that compressing the spring to gain height will make the ride stiffer than I would prefer.

What I want is long term reliability and something I don't have to mess with (adjustability aside), and a more compliant (softer) ride. I doubt I'll ever be much of a rock crawler as this is my DD. Don't know how much a difference that makes.

Thoughts?

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the forum! I too am very interested in the answers to this question. Right now I have OME on my 4runner which is basically stock but I'm thinking about upgrading just because I want to try something different.

BIGGUY

Adventurer

I have the OME/Toytec setup on my FJ and I have found it to be nice. It actually rides better than stock in some areas. There is one place with speed bumps that I had to creep over when stock. Now I can just slow down a little and drive over them and it doesn't bother me. The only problem I've had is the rear is sagging a bit. I have a rear bumper, swing away, gas cans, Tuffy drawer, etc. and the rear sits approx 1" low. I'm waiting on a new set of 3 1/2" heavier springs to cure that problem now.

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
I have the OME suspension on my 06 Tacoma and have run several OME suspension variations on past vehicles. When fitted with the proper spring/shock combination you won't find a better non adjustable suspension.

On my 98 4runner I have the Toytec adjustable coilovers, which are also a great ride, however I have not adjusted the height other than the initial fitment.

Jacque

4xdog

Explorer
I haven't done it yet, but an OME upgrade is on the list for my 2001 Tacoma 4WD DC. I've had OME on my XJ Cherokee for 10+ years and I've been delighted. Transformed the handling of the vehicle. Ride quality not harsh at all (for an XJ).

Don

7wt

Expedition Leader
I currently have Donahoes on my 03 Tacoma and will be replacing them with OME before the end of the summer. The reason being is the OME stuff is just better suited for my needs and is more reliable. My coilovers are leaking and need to be rebuilt. That takes time and effort and something else to drive while you are doing it or having it done. The OME stuff is durable, reliable and performs well. Best advice I can give you is decide what you need the suspension to do and get the suspension that does it best. Coilovers are better for high speed bombing, OME's are better for flex and reliable operations. Up north, coilovers also tend to rust up to the point the are not adjustable anymore and you are left with an expensive shock that can't be rebuilt.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I have Icon front coilovers and Icon bypass shocks in the rear. Recently test on a 15,000 mile road trip to Panama and back. Never used OME so can't comment on them....

Mine have held up well. Adjusting them is not something you do often. They are not air shocks. In fact the only reason to adjust the front on mine is to compensate for sag. The rear can be adjusted to handle bigger loads but who has a nitrogen tank handy? Not me.

My Icon is tough and handles well and I am happy with it.

mr.trd

Adventurer
I had Rancho, then Cornbred, then OME, then DR on my '98 taco. On my new taco I went straight to what i thought was the best. So my '06 taco is running Icon's. You just have so much more feel for the trail with the Icon's. I thought.

PHXtaco

Adventurer
I went with Icons had them rebuilt after 75,000 miles. They were not leaking, just had the frontend apart and was replacing everything else so decided to play it safe. Been very happy with them, but have not run OME to offer a full comparison.

AlexJet

Explorer
I had OME on my truck and now run Icons with Long-Travel setup.

Basically you'd need to ask yourself a question on what you need it for? What type of wheeling you do and how much (what percentage is your off-road mileage vs. total mileage).

As of recomendations, I'd highly recommend Icon non-res coilovers for the front, Radflo non-res shocks and OME895 coils for the back. Why? Because this is the best setup you can get for the money spend. You can get res coilovers and res shocks as well as fency coils, but the performance gain would not adjust to the price difference unless you do high speed dirt roads and/or sand runs where rem-res can help. This is if you have money, but want to get most for your buck.

If budget unlimited, then Icons rem-res coilovers with Icon res shocks on the back and your choice of either OME, Icon or Radflo coils.

If you're on tight budjet, OME is your best friend. 885 for the front and 895 for the back.

Regarding adjusting the collars after mud/salt or whatever else comes with the road, its possible, but you need to keep the threads clean and spray with rust proofing component often.

Let me know if you need additional help and/or details.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Good feedback guys, I am particularly interested on how long your ICON (or other high end coilovers lasted).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears