OME vs. Nth Degree

buddha

Adventurer
Help me pick out a suspension lift for my Jeep - 2008 JKU Rubicon. The Jeep is actually my wife's daily driver, and most of the off roading we do is at the beach. I do plan to take the Jeep over the rocks at Uwharrie at some point, but I'm really not looking to build a rock crawler.

Here's what I want... Good on road manners, ability to fit 35" tires without rubbing, ease of install, and completeness of kit.

I had my mind made up on the OME HD kit, but I'm not sure if I'll need new trackbars, etc. It looks like the AEV Nth Degree suspension kit is more complete (Standard v.s Premium??). They both consistently get great reviews.

I just can't make up my mind here. Help! :)

buddha

Adventurer
Forgot to add, that I am planning on eventually (within the year) adding a winch bumper and rear bumper w/ swingout tire carrier... Probably AEV for both of those. so that will add some weight...

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I guess if you have deep pockets or want to get into debt then AEV is the way to go, but OME and Teraflex both have a good product as well. Why the lift and armor if it will never see any real trails, going for the poser look?

Amauri

Explorer
I guess if you have deep pockets or want to get into debt then AEV is the way to go, but OME and Teraflex both have a good product as well. Why the lift and armor if it will never see any real trails, going for the poser look?

128295894532.jpg

BEVAN

Adventurer
I think 90% of overland vehicles have some what of a "Poser Look" - I personally want to be prepared for anything I encounter. I don't do any hardcore trails anymore but I have armored everything I can, It's cheap insurance IMO. If that makes me a Poser...Cool.

buddha

Adventurer
^^ Yes.

Like I said. This is my wife's daily driver. 99% of it's use is between the house, preschool, and her office. And there aren't a whole lot of boulders in the way. AND... when we go off road, it usually involves sand or mud more than rocks or anything extreme. I live in SE NC, so there isn't a whole lot of extreme around.

Do I plan to take this rig on any extreme trails? Yes, but that will never be its primary use. I also like to be prepared for any challenges I might find. In the end, I'm just starting this build, and want to do it right.

And... I was joking about the rich part. I'll do this build over time, not all at once. The main objective right now is getting the jeep in the air and some fresh tires on it. The oem tires are on their last legs. I really want 35"s and I know I can accomplish that with AEV, and the OME HD, but I'm a little concerned about OME if I add bumpers later...

Which brings us back to the original question.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Help me pick out a suspension lift for my Jeep - 2008 JKU Rubicon. The Jeep is actually my wife's daily driver, and most of the off roading we do is at the beach. I do plan to take the Jeep over the rocks at Uwharrie at some point, but I'm really not looking to build a rock crawler.

Here's what I want... Good on road manners, ability to fit 35" tires without rubbing, ease of install, and completeness of kit.

I had my mind made up on the OME HD kit, but I'm not sure if I'll need new trackbars, etc. It looks like the AEV Nth Degree suspension kit is more complete (Standard v.s Premium??). They both consistently get great reviews.

I just can't make up my mind here. Help! :)

Read above.

I think 90% of overland vehicles have some what of a "Poser Look" - I personally want to be prepared for anything I encounter. I don't do any hardcore trails anymore but I have armored everything I can, It's cheap insurance IMO. If that makes me a Poser...Cool.

Scott Brady

Founder
Both are excellent. The OME will be for shorter heights 1.5-2" and the AEV will be for taller heights 3.5-4.5". The AEV kit is also far more expensive and the result is better than stock ride, handling and performance. You get what you pay for. . .

I can say from personal experience that you can four-wheel drift an AEV 3.5" premium fitted JK Unlimited at 80 MPH on a road course in Arizona.

AEV.jpg

buddha

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply, Scott. I've seen the pictures of the slalom, and it's definitely impressive. Another mark towards AEV.

And... Is the AEV really that much more expensive when you add up the costs for all the extra parts it comes with? Seems like you start getting into the same ballpark when you start adding trackbars, swaybar links, etc. to the OME kit. Of course, having no experience with Jeep suspension kits, I'm not sure whether all that is really necessary, or not...

Scott Brady

Founder
The current JK OME is only 50-60mm. They do not require as many modifications. It will be nearly half the cost and much easier to install.

I think you will be very happy with the OME. I have tested and installed these suspensions and they are quite good, especially given your needs.

You buy an AEV Premium because you want the absolute best limit handling performance from a JK with 35" tires. It will outrun a stock JK on a slalom.

buddha

Adventurer
Just talked to David at Northridge, and told him exactly what I planned to do with the jeep (e.g. mostly on road, not a lot of extreme trails) and he very quickly recommended, either the AEV Premium, OME Long Travel Kit ($1600), or Full Traction 3" kit ($1200). That's not what I expected. I expected him to say, just get our OME HD kit that comes with adjustable track bars and call it a day... I asked about that kit specifically, and he said it didn't come with everything I'd need...

So, still not sure what to do.

smbisig

Adventurer
To run 35" tires using OME suspension, all you need is to order one complete OME kit (different part numbers depending on the weight of your aftermarket accessories) plus a bump stop extension kit (ARB part number FK40). This is how ARB's company Jeep JKs are setup.

Here are a couple of photos of ARB's Jeep Jks on the ARB Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150098443584571.284568.152967154570&type=1

Here is the application guide off the ARB website.
http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/accessorizeYourRig/jeepWranglerJK4door.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears