OME vs. Nth Degree

Scott Brady

Founder
This is a quick cut, but will give some insights to the performance of the AEV suspension and what our team has been so distracted with the past few months.
[video=vimeo;27641607]http://vimeo.com/27641607[/video]

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Very impressive, and on mud terrains no less! Did y'all catch him lifting the front inside tire at about 1:03 - very cool.

Scott Brady

Founder
We didn't have any other vehicles that could keep up with it on the track, so we used a 400HP F Sport Lexus LS to mount the cameras to.

jboss

Observer
From some one with first hand experience with OME and AEV there is no comparison. I'm very happy with the AEV 3.5" Premium lift. I first had the OME LT kit from Northridge 4x4 and I did not like it at all. Shocks were to soft and JKS track-bar was to week gave me DW. The OME kit is not complete. It dose not address steering, brake lines, bump stops, track bars or track bar brackets problems and castor problems. So if you get the parts to address all the other needs then the OME kit is not cheeper then AEV. Also the OME kit gave me 3" on my 4door with hard top.

Even my wife couldn't stand the way the OME kit drove. She hated the way it would shift from right to left in the rear when going over bumps. Now she steels the keys from me all the time. I will say when I first got the AEV lift it was stiff but after adding bumpers and a winch it now rides great.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/12things/AEV_twelve_things.pdf

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have ordered OME coils for our '11 Rubicon. I love 'em in my 80 series and hope the same is true for the JK. I like the tune-ability of multiple spring-rates from OME, but if I had the budget, I would send our Jeep to Montana for a Hemi and Nth degree. If you are more than a week or so away from purchase, I'll let you know what I think of the OME coils.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Very impressive video. And although about 90% of drivers lack the skill and/or nerves to drive it like that, it's great to know it can if called upon. And the IS F does indeed make a good chase car.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
From some one with first hand experience with OME and AEV there is no comparison. I'm very happy with the AEV 3.5" Premium lift. I first had the OME LT kit from Northridge 4x4 and I did not like it at all. Shocks were to soft and JKS track-bar was to week gave me DW. The OME kit is not complete. It dose not address steering, brake lines, bump stops, track bars or track bar brackets problems and castor problems. So if you get the parts to address all the other needs then the OME kit is not cheeper then AEV. Also the OME kit gave me 3" on my 4door with hard top.

Even my wife couldn't stand the way the OME kit drove. She hated the way it would shift from right to left in the rear when going over bumps. Now she steels the keys from me all the time. I will say when I first got the AEV lift it was stiff but after adding bumpers and a winch it now rides great.

^^^ I think jboss touches on several valid points. The OME kits aren't complete and the only way I'd recommend them is as a full set up like Northridge sells.

I've run most of the different OME coils on my JKU (what most people consider the medium & hd series) and now I have the 618/619 +40 coils with OME long travel shocks.

I've wheeled them all pretty hard and the long travel setup flexes well off road.

On road the ride has always been just okay - even after dialing in with full arms, etc. I've never bought into the "better then stock" line. As jboss noted, the ride does get a little squirrely after a series of bumps (fading?) and can even feel harsh. Never had DW though... I'm not saying its a bad ride but it rides like a lifted Jeep on 35s.

With all that said, I'm thinking about drinking the AEV koolaid and switching up the lift. Everything else I've purchased from AEV has been top notch so I don't expect anything different from their lift kit.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
You cannot go wroing with OME for a rig as you describe. Reality is what you said 99% regular every day life and just the chance every now and then to push your jeep to it's limits. With 2 - 3" of lift your JKU will be great for URE. You might get a bit of cahllenge at kodak rock but oither than that it will be point and shoot. Remmber to armor the bottom wioth that long wheelbase and you should be good.

Best of luck and when you head to URE let me know I am 30 minutes away.

John

Amauri

Explorer
You cannot go wroing with OME for a rig as you describe. Reality is what you said 99% regular every day life and just the chance every now and then to push your jeep to it's limits. With 2 - 3" of lift your JKU will be great for URE. You might get a bit of cahllenge at kodak rock but oither than that it will be point and shoot. Remmber to armor the bottom wioth that long wheelbase and you should be good.

Best of luck and when you head to URE let me know I am 30 minutes away.

John

I think that's exactly why he should run the best setup possible. If it where just a trail rig, the way it rides and handles on the freeway at 80mph is not very important. Seems to me the choice is pretty clear.

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Does icon make stuff for JKs? I have their coilovers and piggyback rear shocks on my 4runner, they are SO nice.

buddha

Adventurer
Well, thanks for all the info, y'all. I just pulled the trigger and went with the AEV 3.5 " Premium system. It's what I wanted to begin with. Just needed someone to push me off the fence.

hollaback55

Explorer
you'll be very happy with that choice. AEV is the best handling suspension for a jk, i think Scott's video proves that fact.

reece146

Automotive Artist
AEV is the best handling suspension for a jk, i think Scott's video proves that fact.

You can't really make that assertion without testing both systems back to back. It's called "scientific method".

Stick a decent engine in any JK and I'm pretty certain I can make the stock, OME or whatever suspension look like a dorifto hooligan as shown in the video.

I'm not saying the AEV system isn't good... we just can't create Internet lore around it without some objective testing... testing which was not presented in that video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger