on-board air

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I disagree with the guys who say a tank is going to slow down your filling up of your tires. A tank is required for air horns and air tools.
If you keep the compressor on and tank charged all the time you are on the trail or turn it on a few minutes before you stop to air up you will already have 150 PSI of air waiting to get a jump start on that first tire and any time you pull the chuck off to check the tire pressure you will get a couple extra pounds in the tank, same when you switch tires, to help that much more.
Now at some point the tank and tire pressure will be close enough that you will be relying only on the CFM of the compressor.
With an electric compressor the output is voltage dependent so I would keep the engine running if you want to get the absolute most out of the electrics.
IMO the biggest tank you can reasonably mount is best.
I have never been a fan of the CO2 set-ups...things can leak, they WILL run out and you have to make a special trip to top them off instead of just flipping a switch.
Not sure how long you can run air tools on one but we run air drills, grinders, wrenches and blow guns and fill air mattresses and might air down/up 6 times during a trip with air so we might likely kill a bottle of CO2 on the trail before we ever got to the end of the last day. They are like using a battery to run your fridge but not having a way to recharge the battery while away from civilization.

To each their own.

Darrell

punisher1130

Adventurer
That is a toy, not a tool. As Judge Milian likes to say on The People's Court, "We have a saying in Spanish, 'Lo barato sale caro'. The cheap comes out expensive."

I know its just a idea with that compressor but I'm not putting all my eggs in that basket, I have priced other compressors like the ones for air ride systems to cover bases.

punisher1130

Adventurer
I disagree with the guys who say a tank is going to slow down your filling up of your tires. A tank is required for air horns and air tools.
If you keep the compressor on and tank charged all the time you are on the trail or turn it on a few minutes before you stop to air up you will already have 150 PSI of air waiting to get a jump start on that first tire and any time you pull the chuck off to check the tire pressure you will get a couple extra pounds in the tank, same when you switch tires, to help that much more.
Now at some point the tank and tire pressure will be close enough that you will be relying only on the CFM of the compressor.
With an electric compressor the output is voltage dependent so I would keep the engine running if you want to get the absolute most out of the electrics.
IMO the biggest tank you can reasonably mount is best.
I have never been a fan of the CO2 set-ups...things can leak, they WILL run out and you have to make a special trip to top them off instead of just flipping a switch.
Not sure how long you can run air tools on one but we run air drills, grinders, wrenches and blow guns and fill air mattresses and might air down/up 6 times during a trip with air so we might likely kill a bottle of CO2 on the trail before we ever got to the end of the last day. They are like using a battery to run your fridge but not having a way to recharge the battery while away from civilization.

To each their own.

Darrell

I believe its more of if that tanks run out the compressor can't keep up if its not big enough, at least that's what i'm taking from it. CO2 may have its benefits but i wouldn't burn my money on it unless I'm building a race car. As for tanks, I do agree having a reserve sitting ready will help air tires faster, not to mention needing the tanks for the air lockers ( assuming that). Tool wise I only planned on air chuck and impact gun for the wheels but you made a good point on the air mattress, would air those up in a heart beat vs that little pump for them.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I believe its more of if that tanks run out the compressor can't keep up if its not big enough, at least that's what i'm taking from it. CO2 may have its benefits but i wouldn't burn my money on it unless I'm building a race car. As for tanks, I do agree having a reserve sitting ready will help air tires faster, not to mention needing the tanks for the air lockers ( assuming that). Tool wise I only planned on air chuck and impact gun for the wheels but you made a good point on the air mattress, would air those up in a heart beat vs that little pump for them.
Forgot to mention my rear bumper is a tank and about 4 gal capacity. An impact gun for lugnut a is going to consume more air than anything other than a large shop compressor or co2 setup
can provide hence the big tank they are sir hogs.

Darrell

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Forgot to mention my rear bumper is a tank and about 4 gal capacity. An impact gun for lugnut a is going to consume more air than anything other than a large shop compressor or co2 setup
can provide hence the big tank they are sir hogs.

Darrell

I can use my impact with only 1.5 gal tank just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
What compressor are you using?
The least CFM an impact gun uses that I can find is 4CFM at 90 psi for a 1/2" gun.

Darrell

I use a 3/8" IR gun with my PUMA. With ~200ft/lbs of torque it gives me enough power to remove a tire without waiting. Depending on what and how much you are doing you will get some waiting.

Attachments

• IMG_4842.jpg
    IMG_4842.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 29

toyotech

Expedition Leader
What compressor are you using?
The least CFM an impact gun uses that I can find is 4CFM at 90 psi for a 1/2" gun.

Darrell

3.5 @90. You are looking at numbers but I have done it in real life. I can remove 6 lug nuts with my snap on gun without waiting. Takes like a 1second press of the trigger per lug nut. My tundra with 1.5 galling tank

My puma in my 4Runner has an extra remote 3 galling tank. Giving me 4.5 gallons.
I have reset a bead on my runner with no problems with this set up. Than again I have tire experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
A ratchet strap around the center tread, soapy water, and a compressor can do it.

but as mentioned, starting fluid and a match is your best bet.

Just remember to have your air handy. You need to start adding air FAST after seating the bead with fire.

dman93

Adventurer
I had a smaller ARB portable which I finally installed under hood after 20 years,and hardwired (no tank). Then it died. Given it didn't really have much output I bought a new Viair rather than repair the ARB ... but somehow goofed on the dimensions and it won't fit where I had my ARB. So for now I'll probably keep it as a portable. My use is mostly for tire air-up. Anyway (get to the point), I had finally hard mounted the ARB underhood to save space and hide it from potential theft. Now that I'll need a new location, is hard-mounting really worth it for function, if you don't have horns or lockers? Seems I have more flexibility with a portable, and can get away with a shorter hose which could reduce air-up times (less pressure drop along the length of the hose). Curious to hear real-world pro's and con's. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998