On my way to pick up the next project!

jslamerman

I finally found the next project, a 1990 type 1 ambulance based on a Chevy truck k3500 chassis. The rub is that it is a TBI Chevy 454, backed by a th400 transmission. I'm sure this combination gets horrific gas mileage, however it's a four-wheel drive stock, and the underside is rust free which is an absolute commodity in Maine! It has this Nifty long door we're normally something would slide in under the gurney, which will make a great slide out kitchen as well! Has anyone had any experience with the Chevy Chassis cab this is built on? I wonder about the durability of ball joints and tie rods... And whether I will be able to tolerate the mileage this will produce. I see a Cummins swap in the near future, to a p pump 12 valve if the combination is unable to attain 10 MPG.

jslamerman

I also envision a set of 255 85 R16, and a set of torsion keys and blocks in the neighborhood of two inches, along with some Bilstein shocks, unless somebody else has other suggestions

jslamerman

Runs like poo....have to figure out whether its fuel filter, plugs, cap/rotor, temp sensor, fuel injectors, air leak (vacuum, or manifold/tbi gasket leak), or a plugged cat. Seems incredibly rich, but stumbles when stomped on, and vibrates. I drove it 35 min home, and 20 min into the ride it got better, but not fixed. Doesn't appear to be water in oil. Smoked some on startup, seems like some possible valve guide/seal wear too (and high idle for too long after start up, as well as intermittently after), we will find out when I fix it, and check the base timing. Kinda glad those parts are cheap, all of those mentioned are about 350......maybe itll improve mileage too. Prob ought to change o2 sensor to help with that as well.

rayra

Expedition Leader
intake gasket, old gas, replace the harmonic balancer, remove and clean up the idle air solenoid and throttle body. rest is general maintenance. Exterior looks very clean / in good condition. Somewhere a volunteer department would love to have that vehicle. Would make a great Search & Rescue team vehicle too.

check rockauto.com for parts, if you aren't already familiar with them. There's some very good deals there, well under chain or local parts stores, often.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
One major upgrade to that vintage truck is to remove the garbage OEM catalytic, they are incredibly restrictive and horribly overweight, I replaced mine with a hi-flow cat and couldn't believe the difference it made in performance, driveability and fuel mileage.
and TBI's are pretty susceptible to vacuum leaks so you definitely are headed in the right direction there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior