on the prowl for a g-wagon

R-Overland

Adventurer
After having owned several Range Rover, (classic, P38) I am ready for a G.
I saw some nice ones out on ebay. I'll be scoping here too on what to look out for.
But my budget is ~$15.000 max.

miolnir

G-wagens are expensive, with the exception of a couple of parts shared with the cars. Buy the newest one you can afford and I recommend the '02 or later north american versions for the USA. Some parts for the pre 2002 gray market trucks are much more difficult to find especially when traveling. They are great trucks and can go pretty much anywhere in stock form except rock crawling trails, which we don't do anyway on these. With minor mods they are very capable but still retain excellent highway drivability. 15k is tough but getting close to 2002 models with well over 100k miles, which is not a big deal for well maintained vehicles.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
For $15k you're going to be pretty much regulated to a very nice W460 model, maybe an early W463 (Europa) if you can find one. An '02+ G500 would have lots of miles on it for $15k.

Agnostic

G-wagens are expensive, with the exception of a couple of parts shared with the cars. Buy the newest one you can afford and I recommend the '02 or later north american versions for the USA. Some parts for the pre 2002 gray market trucks are much more difficult to find especially when traveling. They are great trucks and can go pretty much anywhere in stock form except rock crawling trails, which we don't do anyway on these. With minor mods they are very capable but still retain excellent highway drivability. 15k is tough but getting close to 2002 models with well over 100k miles, which is not a big deal for well maintained vehicles.

I am looking to get a G Wagen 300G 460 1979–1991 and see you are sying they are hardto get parts for, would you mind giving me more info? I am new to the G wagen.

miolnir

You can get all the parts, it just takes a little longer because you cant get them from the MB dealer or your local auto parts store. You have to get them from places like Euro Truck, Peach Parts, fourbyfourclub dot com, or simply order direct from Germany etc. Some of the parts will not be in stock anywhere and will have to come from Germany. It took about 6 weeks for me to get the brake parts for the rear on my 96. Just keep in mind the parts are very expensive unless any parts are shared with the cars. The rear brakes cost me around $600 (parts only) but the front rotors only $75 off ebay for the pair because they are also on the big sedans. Often times most of the engine components will be on the cars, but it can be tricky to get them because you have to call it by the the car name rather than the G, and then its not guaranteed to be the same part....so you will need to do lots of research, checking forums etc for specific parts and DIY projects.

Basically the cheaper you go the more elbow grease you need to put into it. But that can be rewarding if you like to work on cars. Once you get all deferred maintenance issue out of the way and all the fluids replaced you will have a good and very reliable truck. The 300 is good, the bigger the engine the better. All the older ones are a bit under powered compared to the new ones, but it just takes a little longer to get there, not a big deal.

miolnir

Yeah, that seems pretty cheap. Need to look out for that rust though particularly in and around the rocker panels. Make sure it has papers in OK since it came through Canada.

Also, for anyone trying to get these to California you really have to be careful and do your homework. One friend sold his 460 (in great condition) from Cali to Nevada, then bought it back a few yrs later only to have to drop 6,000 to get it legal in Cal again.

R-Overland

Adventurer
Yeah, that seems pretty cheap. Need to look out for that rust though particularly in and around the rocker panels. Make sure it has papers in OK since it came through Canada.

Also, for anyone trying to get these to California you really have to be careful and do your homework. One friend sold his 460 (in great condition) from Cali to Nevada, then bought it back a few yrs later only to have to drop 6,000 to get it legal in Cal again.
Great advise , thank you. How about a military spec from canada? Are they hard to get by?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Doesn't matter if its Canadian or European - needs to be 25 years old unless it was a model which meet the federal requirements. That limits you to either Europa G's or the one's sold by Mercedes here more recently. The Canadian forces ones are less than 10 years old and were not federalized so that will be a while for them to be allowed in. There are some Canadian euro truck dealers who have german surplus G's which are close to being 25 years old - but are very basic soft top models typically.

R-Overland

Adventurer
I wouldn't mind a very basic soft top model, I would actually prefer it.
one like this, right?

Attachments

• mercedes wolf.jpg
    mercedes wolf.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 20

miolnir

You can bring one in from Europe, but it has to be 25 years old or older to avoid the modifications required for DOT and EPA certification. If the car is less than 25 then it can cost in the neighborhood of 8-12k to convert, maybe more depending on model, plus shipping. The mods must be performed by a registered importer, who is on the hook to the US government to ensure they are correct. So its not really worth it unless there is a very special vehicle and if the budget is there. Its cheaper to go with one already here. There is a lot of import rules on the forums as well as Land Rover forums. Remember if you bring in non US rigs you cant get parts from the MB dealer, unless you know the part number and then its hit or miss unless they were also used on the US models. BTW there are people already starting to bring the old ones in to the US, thats why you are seeing more of them on the market.

R-Overland

Adventurer
You can bring one in from Europe, but it has to be 25 years old or older to avoid the modifications required for DOT and EPA certification. If the car is less than 25 then it can cost in the neighborhood of 8-12k to convert, maybe more depending on model, plus shipping. The mods must be performed by a registered importer, who is on the hook to the US government to ensure they are correct. So its not really worth it unless there is a very special vehicle and if the budget is there. Its cheaper to go with one already here. There is a lot of import rules on the forums as well as Land Rover forums. Remember if you bring in non US rigs you cant get parts from the MB dealer, unless you know the part number and then its hit or miss unless they were also used on the US models. BTW there are people already starting to bring the old ones in to the US, thats why you are seeing more of them on the market.
So what are the cost if I bring in a 88 or older ? Thats what I am looking at, a couple of 1988 and 1987 wolf

miolnir

I wouldn't mind a very basic soft top model, I would actually prefer it.
one like this, right?

Yeah those are cool, but those little diesel engines are not allowed here at all. The first requirement to import is the engine has to have been imported officially in another vehicle from that factory. But I believe its ok as long as they are 25 or older. These engines are gutless though like most older G's and Land rovers except for some of the current models, especially when loaded with overland gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78