Onboard air

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
If I were to do this I would add an onboard tank with a pressure switch, this way you have compressed air ready whenever you need it.
I thought of doing the same thing...I'm trying to get one of the old training scba's from the academy (it's what's used in the fire service). Supposedly they get rid of the old ones on occasion. Our bottles are 4500psi carbon fiber so they take a beating. Supposedly I can remove one regulator, keep the other and use it to air up tires and even run air tools...we'll see when I finally get my hands on a pack. The nice thing will be having the ability to fill the bottle up whenever I'm at work.

rezdiver

Adventurer
fiber wrapped SCBA bottles have an expiry date, they are disposable after that date and no shop will fill it up. they can only be hydrotested for so long then the department will get rid of them, i believe the life is 10 or 12 years before disposal, so keep that in mind when you are using it with high pressure air in it. low pressure air at that volume may fill one tire and will not run air tools.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
fiber wrapped SCBA bottles have an expiry date, they are disposable after that date and no shop will fill it up. they can only be hydrotested for so long then the department will get rid of them, i believe the life is 10 or 12 years before disposal, so keep that in mind when you are using it with high pressure air in it. low pressure air at that volume may fill one tire and will not run air tools.

you're right, once the hydrotest is expired they've gotta go...that's why I get one. We have a cascade system and I can personally fill the bottles myself. I honestly wouldn't try and fill all the way to 4500, but I could maybe get two bottles and fill each to like 3000 and not have to worry about a possible grenade. I'm still looking into the cost of a new cylinder with a good hydro, that can hold the higher psi's.

rezdiver

Adventurer
I would seriously reconsider. you can pick up a certified used aluminium scuba bottle for pretty cheap these days. even at 3000, that is still very high pressure for fiber wrapped thats been expired, especially out of a cascade. the fiber wrapped bottles have a much thinner aluminium liner, the stresses that can cause invisible hairline cracks are much riskier, there is a reason they expire. I have been around HP gas and air all my life and would really not like to hear of a silly accident just for the sake of trying to have some air for your tires and save 50 dollars. good luck with your decision.

mesha

Observer
I have a CO2 tank and love the portability of it. It is fast too. If you dont need it to change vehicles then a compressor I guess is more economical. Have both and like both just another option.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
I would seriously reconsider. you can pick up a certified used aluminium scuba bottle for pretty cheap these days. even at 3000, that is still very high pressure for fiber wrapped thats been expired, especially out of a cascade. the fiber wrapped bottles have a much thinner aluminium liner, the stresses that can cause invisible hairline cracks are much riskier, there is a reason they expire. I have been around HP gas and air all my life and would really not like to hear of a silly accident just for the sake of trying to have some air for your tires and save 50 dollars. good luck with your decision.

Good advice, I've thought it over some and you have a good point. Got this idea from a coworker who's used one in his jeep with no problems, but I'd hate to be "that guy" who runs into problems and becomes a statistic...

When you say "pretty cheap" used certified bottles, how cheap is cheap? Just curious. Thanks again for waking me up on the matter!

rezdiver

Adventurer
used aluminium scuba bottles usually sell for between 50 and 100 dollars up here in canada. the higher price range usually has had a hydro test done to it with a visual inspection. if you pick one up and it is missing the tests then you can usually take it to a fire extinguisher shop and they will hydro it for around 15-20 dollars. a visual test from a dive shop is around 20 dollars on top of that but i think they will include a fill with it. a new aluminium scuba bottle sells for around 200-250 dollars at the dive shop.
I think all the prices may be lower in the states than here in canada. make a few phone calls to the local dive shops and see if they have any used ones kicking around, a lot of new divers spend a ton of money on gear that they never use and put it back on consignment at the dive shop to get rid of it. or check craigslist.
I personnaly use a high pressure (3500psi) galvanised steel 40cuft scuba bottle in my truck and it works great for me, but i only use it for the tires. its nice and small. the HP steel bottles are a lot more money, only reason i use it is because i have a bunch i use for diving.

Ron B

Explorer
I've had a Viair 480C in my engine compartment for almost 5 years now. Knock on wood the thing still fills my 5 gal tank to 200 psi several times every day I wheel the truck (it'll fill the tank to 200 psi in under 3 min). I have the pump's intake plumbed into the truck's air intake so it breaths clean air and I don't have to change the little filters all the time.

I was thinking of getting a belt driven compressor because of my high pressure needs (I run air bags on ifs/irs) but so far this is all I have needed.

http://www.viaircorp.com/OnRoad/480C.html

rb

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I thought of doing the same thing...I'm trying to get one of the old training scba's from the academy (it's what's used in the fire service). Supposedly they get rid of the old ones on occasion. Our bottles are 4500psi carbon fiber so they take a beating. Supposedly I can remove one regulator, keep the other and use it to air up tires and even run air tools...we'll see when I finally get my hands on a pack. The nice thing will be having the ability to fill the bottle up whenever I'm at work.

I'd check the liquid CO2 setups before I'd choose compressed air. Less chance of an explosion and night/day difference in performance. A 15lb system will fill 24 tires (35x12.5x15") from 12psi to 32psi. A 10lbs system will fill 16 tires.

You can go to any welding/beverage distributor and pickup a tank & regulator for cheap (my 15lbs. setup was <$150.

Only downside is they have to be used standing upright & mine is mounted horizontally so I have to dismount it for use and and compressor although slower will outlast one in the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior