Onboard fuel source?

Bronco bobby

Observer
So I have a 2009 E350, gas engine and was wondering if anyone has thought of,
or has found away to tap into the fuel system to dispense fuel into a gas can for motorcycles or a generator. Is this a good idea or is this just "crazy talk?"

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I personally would not do that. Get yourself some cans and mount them on the back.

GordyP

I think if you put a directional "t" valve into the feed line then you could turn a valve to "dispense" and then turn your key on engine off and it would attempt to prime the line and send fuel to your dispenser. I'm not sure if this route is advisable because I'm not sure if it would activate a check engine light when it fails to see pressure. I would either put in a stand alone system or just use jerry cans. Just a thought. Disconnect your fuel line from the fuel rail and put it in a bucket and turn the key on. If it pumps fuel and doesn't trigger a code then you should be good to install a system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronco bobby

Observer
Yea I'm trying to avoid hanging Jerry cans off the back (although I know its popular), as this would only be something I would only
use a half a dozen times a year. It just seems that with all that storage, it would be nice to pull a gallon out once in a while. I was picturing a tee, and using the fuel pump to push it. Hadn't thought about a check engine light. That wouldn't be good.

M35A2

Tinkerer
You should not use the engine's fuel pump. Plumb in a separate pump, something intended for high volume, low pressure flow.

Or practice on the use of a siphon hose. :)

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Get a fuel sender/pump unit for a Motorhome that has the extra pickup that only reaches 3/4 of the way into the tank (used for generators) and connect a Facet fuel pump to it.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I think if you put a directional "t" valve into the feed line then you could turn a valve to "dispense" and then turn your key on engine off and it would attempt to prime the line and send fuel to your dispenser. I'm not sure if this route is advisable because I'm not sure if it would activate a check engine light when it fails to see pressure. I would either put in a stand alone system or just use jerry cans. Just a thought. Disconnect your fuel line from the fuel rail and put it in a bucket and turn the key on. If it pumps fuel and doesn't trigger a code then you should be good to install a system.

I would put it the T in the return line back to the tank. It will be lower pressure and I prefer not to cut the inlet line when I can.
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk

GordyP

Just be careful. Most systems require a pressure reading on the return side as well to operate properly. It could affect your fuel delivery system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998