Onboard Water Tanks, do you drink from them?

Many trailers (AT Overland, Turtleback, XVenture, etc) have large onboard water supplies of 15-22 gallons or more. Do people drink from these typically? Or do they just use it for showering, cooking, washing, things like that? I would think a large supply like that, the water may get a bit stale over time.

Also how are these large tanks kept clean and bacteria free?

ottsville

Observer
It's pretty easy to clean/sanitize your tanks from time to time with either a specially marketed product for the job or a little bit of bleach.

Now, if you are out for a long time your water may end up with a stale taste, but what is going to happen in your water jugs?

rudee13

16 gallon on board that gets refilled with 4 seven gallon jugs as needed. only used for washing, showers etc. I toss a little bleach in if they're stored for while.

drinking water is usually couple gallons of store bought spring water.

we're not hurting on room so just works out better for us this way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

emulous74

I'm picking up an Xventure XV-2 with a 22 gallon water tank, I don't plan to use the water stored in there directly for drinking, but plan on running it through a Lifesaver Systems Lifesaver Jerrycan 10000UF.

"A robust and portable water filter capable of filtering 10,000 litres / 2,641 US gallons of clean drinking water, removing viruses, bacteria, cysts and parasites instantly. The LIFESAVER jerrycan holds up to 18.5 litres of water at any one time and is designed to support those with a greater demand for clean water such as group expeditions, adventurers embarking on overland travel, families or those setting themselves up for off-grid living.

The LIFESAVER jerrycan was designed to store and carry dirty water. Once water is cleaned there is risk of recontamination, with the jerrycan, just filter water when you need to drink it. Intuitive to use - FILL. PUMP. DRINK. "

Looks interesting: Lifesaver Systems

GB_Willys_2014

I'm picking up an Xventure XV-2 with a 22 gallon water tank, I don't plan to use the water stored in there directly for drinking, but plan on running it through a Lifesaver Systems Lifesaver Jerrycan 10000UF.

"A robust and portable water filter capable of filtering 10,000 litres / 2,641 US gallons of clean drinking water, removing viruses, bacteria, cysts and parasites instantly. The LIFESAVER jerrycan holds up to 18.5 litres of water at any one time and is designed to support those with a greater demand for clean water such as group expeditions, adventurers embarking on overland travel, families or those setting themselves up for off-grid living.

The LIFESAVER jerrycan was designed to store and carry dirty water. Once water is cleaned there is risk of recontamination, with the jerrycan, just filter water when you need to drink it. Intuitive to use - FILL. PUMP. DRINK. "

Looks interesting: Lifesaver Systems
Did you consider something like a PUR Hiker or MSR Microfilter to filter the water from the trailer?

Thinking aloud, it may be less expensive and more efficient ...

The other possibility is purification tablets, which eliminates pumping all together, assuming you have time to wait.

emulous74

So the MSR and Lifesaver meet the same NSF protocol 231, MSR doesn't mention who did their testing (their own company or an objective third-party), but let's say they are equal. The PUR Hiker, doesn't say it meets any standard and mentions not testing what so ever. The MSR filter is good for a 1,000 liters and the Lifesaver is good for 10,000 liters. The MSR is $100.00 and the Lifesaver I got for $188.00. MSR Filter replacement is $49.95, Lifesaver is $80.00, but filters 10x more water. Lifesaver also has an active carbon filter that's $5.00 Both of them you have to pump, so also getting the storage of a jerrycan. I personally think the Lifesaver is more economical and more efficient, unless you are strictly backpacking.

MSR Microfilter: Testing: Meets NSF protocol P231 for removal of bacteria (99.9999%) and protozoa (99.9%) from beginning to end of filter life in “worst-case” water
it
PUR Hiker: Filter physically removes particles, protozoa, and bacteria down to 0.2 microns in size, including giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidia and others No testing mentioned.

Lifesaver:
The LIFESAVER 10000UF jerrycan is a microbiological water filter that uses ultra filtration technology to filter out viruses, bacteria, cysts and parasites from contaminated water sources. Icon Lifesaver technology filters out bacteria to a minimum of Log 6 (99.9999%), Viruses to a minimum of Log 4 (99.99%) and Cysts to a minimum of Log 3 (99.9%) as specified by NSF Protocol 231, based on recommendations of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
* Tested by BCS laboratories issued 9/02/16 based on an adaption of NSF/ANSI P231 Protocol. These units are tested with two different types of water to challenge the filtration capability beyond the standard use. All figures quoted are taken from the stressed challenge phase of the test imitating sewage contaminated water.
**Volume of water filtered by the product and flow rates dependent on the composition and turbidity of the feed water.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
There are commercial products available from RV stores for sanitizing and refreshing on board water tanks.

I have two water tanks on my Kimberley Karavan, 70 liter and 120 liter. When I fill the tanks, I add 50 cc of unscented bleach to the 70 liter tank and 100 cc of bleach to the 120 liter tank.

I don't drink directly from either tank, but do use the 70 liter tank for coffee, tea, other cooking and brushing my teeth. The 120 liter tank feeds the toilet, showers and hot water in the showers and both sinks..

Last edited:

fungus

I’ve got the turtle back with a 42 gallon tank. I drink regularly from it, do dishes, shower, cook, etc... never had an issue. It gets drained after every trip and sanitized once a year. Good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GB_Willys_2014

So the MSR and Lifesaver meet the same NSF protocol 231, MSR doesn't mention who did their testing (their own company or an objective third-party), but let's say they are equal. The PUR Hiker, doesn't say it meets any standard and mentions not testing what so ever. The MSR filter is good for a 1,000 liters and the Lifesaver is good for 10,000 liters. The MSR is $100.00 and the Lifesaver I got for $188.00. MSR Filter replacement is $49.95, Lifesaver is $80.00, but filters 10x more water. Lifesaver also has an active carbon filter that's $5.00 Both of them you have to pump, so also getting the storage of a jerrycan. I personally think the Lifesaver is more economical and more efficient, unless you are strictly backpacking.

MSR Microfilter: Testing: Meets NSF protocol P231 for removal of bacteria (99.9999%) and protozoa (99.9%) from beginning to end of filter life in “worst-case” water
it
PUR Hiker: Filter physically removes particles, protozoa, and bacteria down to 0.2 microns in size, including giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidia and others No testing mentioned.

Lifesaver:
The LIFESAVER 10000UF jerrycan is a microbiological water filter that uses ultra filtration technology to filter out viruses, bacteria, cysts and parasites from contaminated water sources. Icon Lifesaver technology filters out bacteria to a minimum of Log 6 (99.9999%), Viruses to a minimum of Log 4 (99.99%) and Cysts to a minimum of Log 3 (99.9%) as specified by NSF Protocol 231, based on recommendations of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
* Tested by BCS laboratories issued 9/02/16 based on an adaption of NSF/ANSI P231 Protocol. These units are tested with two different types of water to challenge the filtration capability beyond the standard use. All figures quoted are taken from the stressed challenge phase of the test imitating sewage contaminated water.
**Volume of water filtered by the product and flow rates dependent on the composition and turbidity of the feed water.
Interesting analysis. Thank you.

FWIW, I have been using various version of PUR and MSR filters for decades in NA without any ill effects.

ottsville

Observer
I haven't done enough long term backpacking to bother trying it but many years ago I shared a campsite with two guys who were doing the Triple Crown of hiking (Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide Trail, and Pacific Crest Trail in one year). All they carried for water purification was a an eyedropper bottle of bleach - several drops with a 15 minute contact time.

GB_Willys_2014

I haven't done enough long term backpacking to bother trying it but many years ago I shared a campsite with two guys who were doing the Triple Crown of hiking (Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide Trail, and Pacific Crest Trail in one year). All they carried for water purification was a an eyedropper bottle of bleach - several drops with a 15 minute contact time.
I know people who also use this practice.

A similar practice is to use purification tablets, but not wait the hour or so.

There are two general problems, assuming that the bleach/tablet does it's hygiene job, taste and sediment.

I personally don't care for either.

In this scenario, sediment, obviously is not the issue but bleach is blech ... :)

Teardropper

Our seven-gallon Reliance is wet from spring to fall. Yep, we drink out of it all summer long.

cBrFs4Z.jpg

T

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If it is used regularly, there is very little chance of any kind of growth within the tank or lines.

We regularly drink right out of our camper tank, without problem, but we use it quite regularly.

When it does sit, say for more than a month or so, I make sure to drain the tanks as much as possible,
then when it gets put back into service, I toss a bit of bleach into the tank,
run the lines, flush the entire system, then refill and use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12