OnX GPS, Gaia GPS, All Trails or other for hiking and public land boundaries

stevo_pct

I'm looking for (ideally) a single GPS app that I can use. The features that are most important to me are:

1) Download maps for use offline (out of range)

2) Public land boudaries - I do a lot of dispersed camping and want to be sure I'm on public land

3) Backcountry roads - although I am not doing difficult "off roading", just navigating

4) Hiking/Backpacking trails

OnX Hunt looks like a good option, especially with respect to private/public land boundaries, but it's not really geared toward hiking trails. They have an "Off Road" version, but that's a lot of the same info as "Hunt" and I don't need any information on "off roading". They also have a "Backcountry" product, but apparently the trail system is not as large as other more trail oriented apps.

It looks like Gaia GPS is geared toward hiking trails and also shows public lands for the purpose of dispersed camping.

Has anyone else figured this out? Are there other ideas/apps that would work?

I'm basically looking for a hiking trails app that I can also use to make sure I'm camping on public lands and not private property. I plan to use it here in the Rocky Mountain states.

Howard70

Adventurer
While I use and enjoy Gaia, it isn’t a one-stop shop for me. Typically I combine Gaia and CalTopo on my mobile devices and computers. If Gaia supported editing of tracks (aside from just trimming) and had a more robust folders structure I’d be happier with it.
I’m in the Apple world and can attest that both programs work well there. Several years ago I was less enthusiastic about Gaia when I was a Windows/Android user. I suspect Gaia’s Android app has improved since then.

Howard

86scotty

Cynic
@Steve, are you IOS or Android? If IOS try PocketEarth, which isn't available on Android. I use Gaia and a couple of other apps but I revert to the simplicity of Pocket Earth quite often because it seems to always find me with/without a signal and just runs more seamlessly than other apps I use. It used to be free, I have no idea if it is anymore. The one thing is doesn't do, that I know of, is offer downloadable maps.

Unfortunately, for me, there is no one app for my mix of activities in the backcountry. Driving (roads), offroading, hiking, camping. But Pocket Earth is a better general app for all of these than any specific app I've used for one thing.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
its just another layer to add to your list

We have been using Gaia since 2017 for backpacking and public land boondocking.
Typically have a USGS topo, sat-imagery, private land and public land layers on.

BTW, the property ownership layer is a must-have for those hunting real-estate :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears