oops i broke the T case

REDROVER

Explorer
i was on a offroad trip today and into this one trail that is good for trucks with lockers, and i broke my t case . i had my buddy tow me out of the trail some how, i am surprised lt 230 gave away ,

transmission shifts true the gears very nice but no power to the wheels , i see the shaft spinning inside . so something gave away inside the T case.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Its probably the ZF spud shaft/LT230 input splines that went out. If you dont have a cross drilled input gear or an oiler plate, the splines wear due to lack of lube.

-Jeff

REDROVER

Explorer
Its probably the ZF spud shaft/LT230 input splines that went out. If you dont have a cross drilled input gear or an oiler plate, the splines wear due to lack of lube.

-Jeff

most probably you are right. if its the shaft it will be very easy to replace . all i have to do is unbolt 5 # 15 bolts and the shaft will pull out.

may be i will sale the RANGE ROVER the way it is and start my 6 speed manual defender 130 protect .

Last edited:

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Most likely the spud shaft AND the input gear are bad. Pull the PTO cover on the Tcase and have a look. Unfortunatly a RRC in non operable condition isnt worth much. Id keep it and get it going. Use it as a trail truck. Youll need something while you are building the other one anyway.

-Jeff

REDROVER

Explorer
Most likely the spud shaft AND the input gear are bad. Pull the PTO cover on the Tcase and have a look. Unfortunatly a RRC in non operable condition isnt worth much. Id keep it and get it going. Use it as a trail truck. Youll need something while you are building the other one anyway.

-Jeff

yes that's what i mean opening the pto cover and pulling the shaft out. eider way even if new lt230 is needed its only 400 bucks from discovery. i just have to find the time to replace it

LtFuzz

Explorer
Hey Eric,

Can you post pics when you go for the repair/refit? Curious to see what happened.

Lack of oil to the LT230 splines... is that a ZF-related issue? Or all transmissions?

ipgregory

Adventurer
Are the prop shafts turning? If either one is turning then it might be in your axles rather than your t-case. If not then it could also be the cross pins in the center diff. They can break if you run a stock LT230 open off road too much and you are putting a lot of torque through yours. Fix is to either get one of these and rebuild the box:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=138

Or just replace it with a new one as you mentioned because they are cheap ($400 is pretty high for a t-case) and lock it whenever you’re in the dirt..

The oiling issue is based on the t-case model (or specifically the input gear fitted) not the trans.

blue bomber

Adventurer
It is possible to drill a oil hole into the early lt-230 inputs and you won't have this problem ever again. I do this modification on all lt-230s that I have rebuilt. It only took land rover 15 years to figure it out. All post '96 t/cases have this feature.
adu9yjep.jpg
upeny6eh.jpg

You can kinda see the factory hole.
Doing this mods and using nitrile o rings, makes these transfer cases genuine 300k mile units. With oil changes of course.

Tapatalk sucks, sent from Matthew's IPhone

Last edited:

REDROVER

Explorer
Hey Eric,

Can you post pics when you go for the repair/refit? Curious to see what happened.

Lack of oil to the LT230 splines... is that a ZF-related issue? Or all transmissions?

for sure its internal inside the t case because i can see the shaft turning that goes from transmission to t case. but the way i made the shaft going from transmission to t case is , i can just open the pto cover and pull it out. i will post pictures as soon as i take it out .
and yes the way LT230 IS made the upper main gear always runs dry, kinda stupid but that's how it is. its not zf related

Eric

REDROVER

Explorer
It is possible to drill a oil hole into the early lt-230 inputs and you won't have this problem ever again. I do this modification on all lt-230s that I have rebuilt. It only took land rover 15 years to figure it out. All post '96 t/cases have this feature.
adu9yjep.jpg
upeny6eh.jpg

You can kinda see the factory hole.
Doing this mods and using nitrile o rings, makes these transfer cases genuine 300k mile units. With oil changes of course.

so its possible my t case came out of 94 model D1 that's why it doesn't have that feature. i may change the t case to later year model then

blue bomber

Adventurer
You can just buy a gear and spud shaft. It can be replaced in the rig, chances are ,the rest of the transfer case is fine. The preload will have to be double checked,though.

Last edited:

b jeepin

Adventurer
i am just wrapping this up

well this is an all familiar story for me, first the background, it is a 1995 disco with the r380 trans and lt230 t case. as is becoming a pattern it has been a great truck for me and aleays waits to break till we are on vacation. last time in northern michigan north of escanaba, driving along back on pavement came to a stop sign and that was it. no noises no clunks and no movement! didnt know it immediately but the splines between the trans and t case had stripped. luckily in our case we had our dirtbikes on the trailer. so we pushed and unloaded had to ride 50 miles into town. rented a u haul and trailer *ps don't tell them your hauling a rover, allegedly to heavy for there equipment, i said a jeep lol). so currently i had the trans rebuilt with parts from ashcroft and a new mainshaft, also new input gear and bearings in the t case. i am just wrapping this repair now. being a 1995 there is no oiler hole on the input gear, i'm taking my chances again with no oiler as there is not a direct application fix. if trouble in the future there will be a large rant posting to tell the tale.

blue bomber

Adventurer
well this is an all familiar story for me, first the background, it is a 1995 disco with the r380 trans and lt230 t case. as is becoming a pattern it has been a great truck for me and aleays waits to break till we are on vacation. last time in northern michigan north of escanaba, driving along back on pavement came to a stop sign and that was it. no noises no clunks and no movement! didnt know it immediately but the splines between the trans and t case had stripped. luckily in our case we had our dirtbikes on the trailer. so we pushed and unloaded had to ride 50 miles into town. rented a u haul and trailer *ps don't tell them your hauling a rover, allegedly to heavy for there equipment, i said a jeep lol). so currently i had the trans rebuilt with parts from ashcroft and a new mainshaft, also new input gear and bearings in the t case. i am just wrapping this repair now. being a 1995 there is no oiler hole on the input gear, i'm taking my chances again with no oiler as there is not a direct application fix. if trouble in the future there will be a large rant posting to tell the tale.

Refer to my earlier post. Slide the gear out and drill a hole in it. Reinstall and drive.

blue bomber

Adventurer
Ashcroft should have sold you the gear along with the main shaft. You may may not noticed it.?? The factory hole is 3/8".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78