Operating Temperature: When is it time to service or replace your radiator?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
So, I have a ScangaugeII connected and I've always noticed that my coolant temperature seems to operate between approximately 203-213 degrees Farenheit. Others have told me that their vehicle runs a little cooler than that, around 190-200 F.

I have the OEM service manual for my 2001 Montero, and it doesn't seem to state the optimum range in any of the specs that I've been reading; however, it does state that the thermostat isn't designed to fully open until 203 degrees F.

So it seems possible that the operating temperatures that I've observed may be normal. I've only got 80K miles on it, but it's 8 years old. Since a lot of the climates I'm in are hot and I pull a trailer, I do want to insure that it's operating efficiently and remedy any issues before they become real problems.

They system has a new waterpump and I recently replaced all of the coolant.

So, I have a few questions:

1) At what point should I consider having the core cleaned (removed, taken apart, cleaned, reinstalled) or replaced? To be clear, I'm not talking about simply having it flushed.
2) For those of you who also have Scangauges, what is your vehicle's average coolant temperature?

Any info you could provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Tony

agerb

Observer
Op Temp

I have a scanguage in my 03 Montero (55k miles)- with the vehicle unloaded I am usually seeing 198-203 in cool 40-50 degree weather, so yours sounds about right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior