Operation GX iPad mount

OutaFocus

I'm using the Joy Factory iPad mount. There are many styles of mounts out there for the iPad, but I like this one because the bracket interchanges with other JF mounts for use in the house and because the tube mounts are perfect for mounting a soon-to-be-added Ham radio faceplate using a motorcycle handlebar mount.

2012-06-20%2013.55.07.jpg

The mount simply bolts in using one seat mounting bolt, so it it easily removed and moved to another car. and it's fully adjustable for use by either front seat occupant.

2012-06-20%2013.55.20.jpg

DanKunz

Adventurer
Nice. I wanted a dash mount (no bars to the seat or floor) so I went this route. I will post up some pics once I get around to the install.

Hints on the best way into the dash are welcome :)

soonenough

Explorer
I'm using the Joy Factory iPad mount.

Have you had your vehicle off-road with this bracket? I'd love to know how much it moves around on rough terrain, both in terms of swaying back and forth, and also whether or not it loses its grip and slowly moves its position, requiring it to be repositioned every once in a while.

I really like the fact that it can be installed/removed in a couple minutes with no permanent changes to the vehicle. The carbon fiber is an interesting alternative for the arms themselves; it's supposedly excellent at damping vibrations, which is one reason (in addition to it being very light obviously) it's chosen for high-end tripods. The price of the Joy Factory mount is also less than the RAM product that's specific to the Tacoma.

DanKunz

Adventurer
The padholdr product I went with (pending install) also does not alter the factory GX. It bolts to existing holes behind trim and is a reinforced and braced bracket. I will let you know if I see issues offroad, as I will be using it quite often for that! :)

I was always skeptical of post mounts from the PS seat. I have seen so many vibrate and move. The only successes I see are when the arm is coupled to another bracket in the dash for two points of security.

OutaFocus

Have you had your vehicle off-road with this bracket? I'd love to know how much it moves around on rough terrain, both in terms of swaying back and forth, and also whether or not it loses its grip and slowly moves its position, requiring it to be repositioned every once in a while.

I really like the fact that it can be installed/removed in a couple minutes with no permanent changes to the vehicle. The carbon fiber is an interesting alternative for the arms themselves; it's supposedly excellent at damping vibrations, which is one reason (in addition to it being very light obviously) it's chosen for high-end tripods. The price of the Joy Factory mount is also less than the RAM product that's specific to the Tacoma.

Properly tightened, I do not have any problems with the mount moving at the pivot points. The levers are "ratcheting" where, with a push of a button, the lever can be repositioned to gain space when blocked by an obstruction. When fully extended, yes it does vibrate when offroad. one method I use to reduce, or eliminate the movement is to lower the mount by creating a greater fold in the two arms. I don't think any mount will be totally stable in really rough conditions, but DanKunz's method would probably be better in that regard. For me, the increased flexibility (of the design-not the movement!:sombrero:) is worth the vibrations issue. I will be fabricating a mount from the lower arm to the console to eliminate the problem, however. I also like it's ability to be folded flat alongside the tunnel and completely out of the way when not in use.

Rotorgeek

Adventurer
My iPhone cable started to come apart next to the plug, just like that. I got some Sugru, and it may look great but no more cable coming apart.

PTO

PTO
Looks nice. I just mounted a Ram mount (no drill) last night. It took up a little more room then I was planning but appears to be really stable. I have not had the chance to go off road yet but it will get a good test next week in the passes around Silverton CO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78