Operation Oxcart AKA Gini's Burden-A Four Wheel Camper story

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
The second battery will be going under the hood. Here are some pics of today's progress...

There is still some fine tuning to do. The tray is for a group 27 battery but after trying a cardboard mockup and finding it would not fit due to it's height I am gonna go with a group 34/78 in the same tray. May be a good thing since it frees up some room there for the Blue Sea Fuse panel/bus.

brian90744

American Trekker
battery tray

looks like those nuts in the tray will rub thru the bottom of the battery, I have seen toy extra battery box units in the same place you are working, maybe copy some ideas to mount yours. I agree the 34/78 will fit, plus an alt isolator.=brian

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I've done a lot of research and have tried and tried again to get help from the few who have put batteries in the same spot. There isn't much room to spare vertically. I will make a cardboard mock up of the size. I'd like the battery to be as close to the firewall as possible to keep it off the forward nut. The others all fit in the low sections of the tray. If there is more vertical room I can always put another washer under the tray to try to keep the nuts/posts away from the bottom of the battery.

I have a CTEK isolater already. It's the bees knees. Two friends are already running them with great results.

brian90744

American Trekker
battery tray info

I made a double battery tray for my flip-pac (sold) made it using 1" angle and secure to the fender wheel well, see pics for ideas.

Attachments

• battery box1.jpg
    battery box1.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 30
  • 9battery box2.jpg
    9battery box2.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 33
  • duel batt1.jpg
    duel batt1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 33

teotwaki

Excelsior!
looks like those nuts in the tray will rub thru the bottom of the battery, I have seen toy extra battery box units in the same place you are working, maybe copy some ideas to mount yours. I agree the 34/78 will fit, plus an alt isolator.=brian

Eric,

ACE hardware has an excellent supply of good nuts and bolts. You can buy rounded head allen bolts that have a lower profile than hex head bolts if you need the clearance.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Eric,

ACE hardware has an excellent supply of good nuts and bolts. You can buy rounded head allen bolts that have a lower profile than hex head bolts if you need the clearance.

HA!
I was down at the ACE near you for quite a while this weekend.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Installed my lifting strut/shock holders a couple days ago and the lifting panel edge trim...

I'm not sure I'm set on the edge trim for the lifting panels. It seems to create a new form of wear on the vinyl lining which may or may not be better than the prior wear. Hard to describe it.

What are your current thoughts on how the edge trim protects the fabric?

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
What are your current thoughts on how the edge trim protects the fabric?

I'm not sure yet. I'll hopefully take it out again this weekend and "pop" it up. It almost seemed the moulding was creating a new problem due to the thickness. I will check it further this coming weekend.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
ARB offers medium and heavy duty suspension upgrades that would work well with your vehicle. For airbags we have found Airlift offers a good solution.

Frostymug

Observer
Eric,

Since you've had the FWC for while, can you provide some feedback comparing it to the FlipPac as far as performance and handling of your Tacoma.

Cliff

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Eric,

Since you've had the FWC for while, can you provide some feedback comparing it to the FlipPac as far as performance and handling of your Tacoma.

Cliff
Sure thing. The FWC is heavier and therefore I will honestly say I'm more careful when it is on the truck. On road and off. I do not travel at as high a speed I did with the flippac. On road the FWC takes a toll on MPG but that is helped with a lighter foot on the gas pedal. It is kind of nice when people haul *** by me. Too many are in a hurry on the roads. I upgraded my suspension before getting the FWC and I'm glad I did. I would suggest coilovers up front however. The ARB OME up front are fairly stiff. Reports from friends who have coilovers make it sound appealing. I am happy with the rear Dakar setup. They work very well with the weight I put in the back. Unloaded (without the camper and gear) the truck does sit quite high in the back.

Frostymug

Observer
Thanks for the reply; I appreciate your feedback as a former FlipPac owner.

I presently have the Tacoma/FlipPac setup but would like to upgrade to something more suitable for harsh weather conditions. I think a FWC would fit the bill. I just have a hard time with the Tacoma’s lack of payload capacity and the weight of a pop-up camper. In the past I have loaded 700 lbs. (in addition to the 300 lb. FlipPac, 225 lbs. of front bumper/winch, and 100 lbs. of rock sliders) in the bed and did not like how the truck handled at highway speed or the lack of braking power.

Regarding suspension, I too have the full OME suspension and am not totally happy with it. After 30k miles the shocks are loosing there damping power and the coil springs have been problematic. The 886 springs were too stiff and too tall which resulted in front driveline vibration, excessive CV boot wear, and the topping out of the shocks. I then switched to 885 springs which are the right firmness but don’t give enough lift and are now sagging. So I too think that adjustable coilovers are the better choice. The rear springs have been fine.

Cliff

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Hi!

Gini is well, just had new wheel bearings done due to crazy vibrations.
The Oxcart is awaiting completion of the 2nd battery project. I have all the parts now minus the wiring. Soon! Almost killed the main battery during a recent trip to Death Valley.
I recently picked up a new Kelty air mattress. Slept very good on the last trip.
http://www.rei.com/product/878556/kelty-recluse-25l-insulated-sleeping-pad-2014-closeout

How is everything in the world of The TARDIS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior