Opinion on 2006 Montero

the cdogg

Hey guys,

New to this forum and Monteros but I am determined to buy one. I have been reading as many threads as I can about the gen 3s so thank you all for the priceless information.

On to the reason for this thread.... I am looking at a 2006 Montero w/ 100,500 miles. It has the sunroof, third row seat, and is in near perfect condition. Tires seem new. Carfax is clean. The dealer does not know if the timing belt was replaced but there are no leaks and the vehicle seems to be running fine. I have not actually gone to see the car yet. The dealer has excellent ratings though so I have no reason to doubt any of their claims yet.

They are offering to sell me the Montero for $9,500. Since I see Monteros listed anywhere from 6k to 12k I think it is a fair price based on the condition it is in but I would love y'alls opinions on the price and if there is anything I need to check when I finally see the vehicle.

Thanks!

montero1.jpg

nckwltn

Explorer
with 100k miles, I wouldn't risk it. Assume you are going to need to do the timing belt job. As a DIY, it's just a couple of hundred bucks in parts. As a job from the dealer, it's over a 1,000. Be sure to factor that into the price.

the cdogg

Thanks for the feedback. Are you saying the price is too high? or I just shouldn't risk purchasing a Montero with 100k? I am assuming you are referring to the price. Black book avg. retail is about $9.225 I believe. What would you say is the appropriate price provided the timing belt has not been changed?

plh

Explorer
Montero with 100K is fine. Price could be negotiated a little. Timing belt and water pump job at the dealer on my '05 was $1200 almost 2 years ago. I'm sure higher now as shop rates have risen.

Clem

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback. Are you saying the price is too high?

I would say the price is too high for me. Here is the NADA info for my zip

I would try to negotiate a lower price based on the unknown timing belt job and leaks. That being said, Monteros with that few miles seem to be few and far between, so if you feel the price is right jump on it!

HTH,

Clem

montypower

Adventure Time!
That's a great price! Especially, if it's clean... You can't deduct maintenance from the cost. Just like you can't add value for having maintenance done.

Actually, I'd rather buy one and do the timing belt. Most people don't do the water pump, idler pulleys, tensioner, crank seal, cam seals... if any of those fail you have to do the same work anyhow. And worse, if they reuse the tensioner then you assume you'll be trouble free for 80-100k miles only to find out the belt slipped and destroyed your valves. No thanks.

Buy a clean rig. Plan to do the maintenance.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a great truck and good price. Definitely do the peace of mind maintenance and baseline the vehicle. Belts, plugs, gaskets, bearings, etc...

the cdogg

So it looks like I am pulling the trigger on the Montero Saturday. They are splitting the cost of the timing belt, etc. with me. Thanks for all of your help! I will probably start a new build thread in the future as I plan on making this a weekend warrior.

On that note, I have been scouring the web and this forum for the right tire size. If I stick with the OEM 17" wheels and add the OME HD lift with some wheel spacers, what size tire should I be looking to get? I see a lot of 16" wheels on here with roughly 33s but I read one post about them fitting perfectly, and the next post says it will rub. I don't mind massaging the sheet metal to keep from rubbing a bit, but I don't want to go crazy with a sawzall.

I am also looking at wheels on discounttire and they come in a variety of backspaces. Assuming it's a 17x8.5 wheel, what is the best backspace to fill the wheel well?

plh

Explorer
Stock alloy 6 spoke wheels are 17" x 7.5" LT265/70R/17 (~32") fit without problem stock. I've heard of others running LT285/70R/17 (~33") with a little rub in extended situations. No wheel spacers, no lift, stock wheels.

I bought a set of '01 16" x 7" stock alloys and will mount up LT235/85R/16 (~32") for winter on them later today. Will keep the 17" wheels and rubber for summer. Seams like its pretty easy to find Bridgestone Duelers 265/70R/17 as used take offs here. I think this is the stock tire on the FJ Cruiser that see quick upgrades. They are a reasonable summer highway tire (crappy in snow thou).

If you are planning to buy new wheels, you may want to consider 16" as the comparable size rubber (to 17" wheels) is considerably less money.

Unless you are going to a brick and mortar store, you may want to consider looking at Tire rack and Amazon in addition to Discount tire. Tire rack was just a couple $$ less on the tires I bought than the other 2 (all in shipped). Online purchase on Tuesday afternoon, showed up on my doorstep on Wednesday - UPS ground shipping.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger