Opinion on my Jeep

564946_4769299277328_2061633237_n.jpgBought the jeep in my profile pic and seen here ... Its A 1998 Cherokee my friend had ... He wants to build a newer one. This jeep has a 4.5 rough country lift and a few other things. My questions start here. What will make this a better expo rig ? So far plans are roof top tent, KC lights or lighting of some brand/sort, a custom box in back to hold 2 pelican cases with storage on the side. What does this jeep need to make it EXPO ready for a fews rides this year? Anything from equipment- mods

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
It really depends on how you want to go, and where/what you plan on doing.

Most of us (at least in the jeep forum here) tend to build up our jeeps so they can both wheel and overland. However we almost always tend to overbuild them. I haven't - yet. But the plan is far more wheeling orientated than overlanding in general.

Where do you plan on sleeping? RTT, inside the XJ, ground tent? How do you want to cook? Stove, firepit, out of the back of the XJ (some sort of kitchen setup?)

All you really 'need' is a mechanically sound vehicle that's safe to drive (so you may want/need better lighting), some basic supplies (tent, cooler, stove, food) and the inclination to get out there.

Strongly suggest you take a look at all the XJ builds on here. Get an idea as to what you like/want, and then get out there. The more you're out there the better idea you'll have as to what you really want, and what works for you.

Septu

Explorer
Oh, and ask LOTS of questions. Everyone on here seems really really friendly, and will make a real effort to offer solid advice based on their opinion/experiences.

IronRoberts73

Observer
Make it reliable first before almost anything else! Then as others posted think of what your goals are as far as travel and set it up accordingly.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, the experience some of you have is what i need to plan for! First thing is new tires and reliable. Tent on the roof btw and i got a cook top case grill i found on a yard sale for 5 bucks. I am more pointed towards expo style. Snorkel ect .

dstock

Explorer
Looks like you bought a Grand Cherokee (ZJ) from your profile pics, in fact looks similar to one I used to own!

Agree with what the others are saying, reliability is key for starters. When shopping for new tires, maybe go more of an all-terrain vs a dedicated mud tire, or something like a Goodyear Duratrac which falls in between.

Septu is right about the tendency to overbuild, especially if you go to some of the other dedicated jeep forums where people will talk you into all sorts of things you don't need unless your primary goal is rock crawling.

I think proper skid plating is important but without going over board in adding too much weight. For additional lighting concerns, LED lights draw far less power but provide crazy amounts of lighting with a compact footprint. Double check your roof rack crossbars, they have a tendency to pull apart at the rivets, so make sure they are good before you put a bunch of weight up there.

And also, like Septu said, ask LOTS of questions BEFORE you run out and buy stuff, it can save you lots of money and frustration in the long run.

Welcome to the Jeep addiction!

Are the duratrac a good tire? And never thought of a skid plate , derp on my part. I have got a million questions, but being a tuner builder asking questions gets you zinged which is aggravating. Where does every here go on expos too? I want to try the vermont one this year its 2 days i believe?

dstock

Explorer
Are the duratrac a good tire? And never thought of a skid plate , derp on my part. I have got a million questions, but being a tuner builder asking questions gets you zinged which is aggravating. Where does every here go on expos too? I want to try the vermont one this year its 2 days i believe?

I'm running the Duratracs on my JKU, have about 40k on them, probably get another 6k? out of them. Been happy with them, better in rain and snow then the BFG All Terrains in my opinion.

Everyone here seems pretty good about giving advice without the zingers with a couple of exceptions.

Bought a military fold up shovel today ... not bad good will brand new 3 bucks ! Next is painting that and my mini grill to expo matte white or silver ?

Septu

Explorer
Bought a military fold up shovel today ... not bad good will brand new 3 bucks ! Next is painting that and my mini grill to expo matte white or silver ?

I have one of those as well... however when I was in a jam this last summer, the blade was bending while digging out... OF SNOW! Yes hard packed snow, but snow none the less.

Good news is that while it's better than nothing and will work, if you have the space I'd pack a real shovel. Either a small real one (they make them tiny - like 2' long), or something like an SOS shovel. A couple things that always go in the jeep when out and about are my shovel, bow saw and my 48" hi-lift.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'd change every fluid in the car, tune up, cooling system hoses, etc so that you know what baseline you are starting with.

A quality first aid kit, solid recovery points on the vehicle, recovery gear, skid plates to protect oil pan, transmission pan then get out there and have fun.

Build the vehicle to meet YOUR needs as you find out what you want it to do that it doesn't do. I've seen too many people build based on what the were told to on the interweb. They end up with a monster build that they don't need, hate to drive.

Thanks for the info everyone, First is rock sliders since the rockers are gone, Stearing rack, As far as a few things onboard i will not need a first aid kit since I am an EMT with a jump bag that goes everywhere ( Yes i am aware im a wacker ) Shovel is a great idea as well. Need to invest in a winch bumper before august and get it ready for the Vermont Weekend Expo. Lots to do little time ! Pics coming this week !

Been skimming around the portal for a few hours looking for creative yet not overboard nice rock slider rockers .. Any ideas where i can find "blue prints" for the zj ? Also should i put led pods in them ? Also ordered some off set ball joints tonight ! PICS SOON ! I am looking for a good deal on a roof top tent also if anyone knows of any kicking around not dead

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Be wary of the suspension your jeep has on it. Rough Country can't build anything to save their life. I would look at eventually replacing the whole system with something from one of the higher grade suppliers, however getting new shocks would be a big improvement in comfort and reliability right off the bat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger