Opinions about Land Cruiser 200 ?

jgolden

Adventurer
I like it. With small mods (suspension, tires and wheels) it changes the look dramatically. I'm hoping that the U.S. gets a diesel version and I would be all over it!!!

LRNAD90

Adventurer
MitsosOSougias said:
What are your opinions about the LC 200? Used is not an option so if you want to propose alternatives it should be new models.

I can't say that I'm overly impressed from an Overland/ Off-road prospective. If your intentions are to use it for the type of activities most users around here are interested in, I'd bet you'd be better server by one of the last generation 100 series trucks. I'm sure there are dealers around in the USA with left over '07s on the lot, still new, don't know about Europe..

AndrewP

Explorer
It's crazy expensive, but other than that, I'm sure it's a great vehicle. \

Still, after 10 years of 4 wheeeling and desert travelling, a new truck is not the best choice. I'd find an older truck with a few miles and bring it up to snuff. Then you won't be afraid to go places that might ding up your body work. You'll have a lot more fun and you'll spend much, much less.

There are a couple of guys on ih8mud with 200s, you might go over there and get their impression.

cruiser guy

Explorer
I'd disagree with Scott T on the differences between a '200 and a US model '100. They are very similar as far as I can tell. If we'd be talking about a '105, then I'd be all over the '105 instead of the '200 from an overland perspective.

Also the older trucks will have easier parts availability when off the beaten path. I doubt you'd find '200 series specific parts in the middle of "Nowhereville".

BiG BoB

Adventurer
The degree that they are sacrificing 4wd ability in exchange for (horrible) styling, and creature comforts is almost making me embarassed to be a landcruiser owner. They lost my love when they went to an IFS system, on what has and always should be a live axle vehicle.

The new 7x model trucks would get some respect from me, if they had increased the rear track to match the widened front, as it is they crabwalk in sand and feel dangerous towing large loads.

Sean

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
cruiser guy said:
They are very similar as far as I can tell.
Except that the URJ200 has a stronger frame, coil sprung front suspension replacing the torsion bar IFS, bigger 3UR-FE 5.7L V8 engine replacing the 2UZ 4.7L V8, 6 speed A760 tranny instead of the A750 5 speed, and a bunch of new electronic gizmos, 4 inches longer, 1 inch wider. They are pretty different trucks, Toyota learned from the UZJ100 when they designed the 200.

ginericLC

Adventurer
I would buy a 200 in a heatbeat if I could afford it new and under warranty. It is the first LC that Toyota is offering that I can honestly say I will never own. In the US they loaded them up with probably 20k in electrical crap that as a 2nd or 3rd hand owner will be impossible to fix at home and will undoubtedly be far from reasonable from a parts price stand point. I expect that this will make used prices quite reasonable though. Much like the current used Land Rover prices that seem cheap compared to used Cruisers. I'm the type of Cruiser owner who buys them at about 100k and drives them into the 200k mark and then starts again. I do minor fixes and maintenance at home, but haven't had to overcome anything major. I think my current 99 Model might be my last. I'm a big fan of the Tacoma Double Cab and I imagine that is what I'll replace my 100 with in 3-4 years.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
ginericLC said:
I would buy a 200 in a heatbeat if I could afford it new and under warranty. It is the first LC that Toyota is offering that I can honestly say I will never own. In the US they loaded them up with probably 20k in electrical crap that as a 2nd or 3rd hand owner will be impossible to fix at home and will undoubtedly be far from reasonable from a parts price stand point. I expect that this will make used prices quite reasonable though. Much like the current used Land Rover prices that seem cheap compared to used Cruisers. I'm the type of Cruiser owner who buys them at about 100k and drives them into the 200k mark and then starts again. I do minor fixes and maintenance at home, but haven't had to overcome anything major. I think my current 99 Model might be my last. I'm a big fan of the Tacoma Double Cab and I imagine that is what I'll replace my 100 with in 3-4 years.

I have the same concerns with the 200 and I'm now considering a DC Taco/X-terra/JK.

DaveInDenver

And you guys think that the Tacoma or Jeep or Xterra have critical systems that you'll be able to keep running forever? I see the argument that the URJ200 being too complex as a non-starter. I think I remember reading someplace that the current 4Runner has something like 10 microprocessors in it, not including obvious accessories like navigation systems. Certainly some of that would be in systems that are not critical, but who knows how critical engine and tranny management systems might react if the traction control or climate control system goes on the fritz. I mean, down to the way the overhead light dims or turns on is controlled by software. I think the question should be if you trust the company building the car to design and build solid and well engineered electronics with appropriate system trouble isolation. As safety, economy and emissions rules get tighter and tighter, the manufacturers have to squeeze more and more out of the systems and so complexity keeps going up.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
Toyota learned from the UZJ100 when they designed the 200.

....and they used the knowledge to make a better "on-road" vehicle overall. For the US it's a sure winner over the old. For us harder-core 4-wheelers, it's a step back in several (not all) ways.

DaveInDenver

ShottsCruisers said:
....and they used the knowledge to make a better "on-road" vehicle overall. For the US it's a sure winner over the old. For us harder-core 4-wheelers, it's a step back in several (not all) ways.
Like what? The frame is supposed to be stronger, that seems good. Didn't they beef up the front suspension after the cracking lower control arms or whatever they found with the 100 series IFS? How is a 200 series any more or less of a platform to start with than your 100? I'm asking genuinely, there's a lot of hinting and whatever, but no specifics as to why. Is assumed to be because they brought out that new 4 door troopie 70 series and so the 200 series is thought to be watered down? It's now the same truck in all markets that get it, there is no 105 series solid axle variant like the 100 series IFS.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998